Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:37:06 am

Author Topic: Mathematics Question Thread  (Read 1297225 times)  Share 

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
Re: Mathematics Question Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 12, 2016, 09:38:37 pm »
Thanks for that answer happy_turtle, and welcome to the forums!! Absolute legend  ;D conic I'll definitely come and give you an explanation of this style of question tomorrow, just need to finish this lecture series first  ;) I'll run through one besides Question 9  ;D

Okay cheers

I need someone to comment below so then I can post a couple of new questions down here. If I post consecutively, it will be labelled spam and I may get a warning

HighTide

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Sink or swim
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2016, 10:38:28 am »
+1
Okay cheers

I need someone to comment below so then I can post a couple of new questions down here. If I post consecutively, it will be labelled spam and I may get a warning
Just going to highlight that you can post multiple qs in the same comment and avoid a warning. You can also edit your comment by clicking modify. You don't need to post consecutively to ask multiple qs  :)
2014-2015: VCE
2016-2018: Bachelor of Biomedical Science

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2016, 10:41:32 am »
+2
Just going to highlight that you can post multiple qs in the same comment and avoid a warning. You can also edit your comment by clicking modify. You don't need to post consecutively to ask multiple qs  :)
Can I just say, on a person note I really do not wish to be bombarded by a continuous streak of questions especially of the same topic. It begins to feel like a chore, instead of a generous act, in helping.

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2016, 11:07:40 am »
Can I just say, on a person note I really do not wish to be bombarded by a continuous streak of questions especially of the same topic. It begins to feel like a chore, instead of a generous act, in helping.

Well, I asked only like 4 questions here. Also you seem to spend a lot of time on this online forum. May I ask but why is that the case? Whenever I'm online (supposedly trying to increase my post count in order to qualify for more free essays/creatives to mark) I tend to see you online here as well?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2016, 12:59:55 pm »
+4
Well, I asked only like 4 questions here. Also you seem to spend a lot of time on this online forum. May I ask but why is that the case? Whenever I'm online (supposedly trying to increase my post count in order to qualify for more free essays/creatives to mark) I tend to see you online here as well?
It's becoming pushy when it's the same trigonometry based questions. If your diagram is wrong, then you don't make any progress altogether.

Your answer: Because I leave the website open in its own separate tab. Sometimes I look through it, sometimes it sits there like my Facebook.

As for the bit in the brackets, that is most likely assumed by some people because you seem to go a bit excessively on and on over it. Starts to feel like your only reason to be on here - boosting up the post count to have 50 or so essays marked. I'm sure that's not the case, but I reckon you wouldn't be too obsessed over your post count otherwise.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2016, 01:24:09 pm »
+2

I see you.  This sounds quite like... 'elaborate trolling' to me...

We don't want to be too strict but if I see you post about your post count or random useless irrelevancies, I'll just delete rather than discussing it, because it clutters the place irrelevantly so others can't give/receive useful help so easily.  Fair? :) This is one last request to be respectful of others.  The help RuiAce and others are giving is free, fast and simply amazing and it's incredibly rude for someone to start taking it as a given and keep demanding them to do more and more for that user alone; they aren't your private, paid tutors.

So this is the last of us discussing your posting habits in public; please PM me if you think we're treating you unfairly :)
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2016, 02:08:17 pm »
Whenever you differentatiate, you are finding the gradient of the tangent/finding the rate of change, right?

For a graph like x^3 if you were to differentiate it, it would be 3x^2 however whenever graphed here: https://www.desmos.com/calculator it doesn't seem to be the case

Can someone here help me understand the concept of differnetiation and when it comes to cubic equations like this

Thanks

Floatzel98

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2016, 02:34:12 pm »
For a graph like x^3 if you were to differentiate it, it would be 3x^2 however whenever graphed here: https://www.desmos.com/calculator it doesn't seem to be the case
Nothing changes about differentiating cubic functions compared to any other power functions. I don't know exactly what you graphed, but the two graphs should be the same.
2016 - 2019: Bachelor of Science Advanced - Research (Honours) [Physics and Mathematics] @ Monash University

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #158 on: July 13, 2016, 02:42:48 pm »
Whenever you differentatiate, you are finding the gradient of the tangent/finding the rate of change, right?

Can someone here help me understand the concept of differnetiation and when it comes to cubic equations like this

Thanks

You differentiate and then sub in values to find the rate of change from A to B (or whatever)..

EDIT By Jamon: Ensure all discussion is civil and respects the right of others to ask questions  :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 12:00:13 am by jamonwindeyer »

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #159 on: July 13, 2016, 02:45:11 pm »
Nothing changes about differentiating cubic functions compared to any other power functions. I don't know exactly what you graphed, but the two graphs should be the same.

x^3 is a cubic and 3x^2 is a parabola. They are two separate graphs that do not touch each other except for when they touch each other at the origin

WLalex

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #160 on: July 13, 2016, 02:51:12 pm »
+1

Thanks

I don't quite understand your question...they are obviously going to be different when graphed as the derivative and original function are now different, one a cubic and one a parabola?

I'd like to be of more help :P

Alex
"You don't want to look back and know you could have done better"

2016: Advanced English, Mathematics , Extension Maths, Chemistry, SOR II, PDHPE

ATAR: 97.70

Floatzel98

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #161 on: July 13, 2016, 02:54:46 pm »
+1
x^3 is a cubic and 3x^2 is a parabola. They are two separate graphs that do not touch each other except for when they touch each other at the origin
Yes x^3 and 3x^2 are indeed different graphs. When you differentiate x^3 you get 3x^2.

If you graph x^3 against 3x^2 you will get different graphs. If you graph d/dx(x^3) against 3x^2 you will get the exact same graph.
2016 - 2019: Bachelor of Science Advanced - Research (Honours) [Physics and Mathematics] @ Monash University

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #162 on: July 13, 2016, 02:57:14 pm »
+1
The derivative measures the gradient of the tangent at that point. The derivative is never under any circumstances forced to intersect the original function.

Do not, under any circumstances, assume that the graph of the derivative is supposed to be a consequence of the actual y-coordinates of the original function. The derivative is only a measure of the GRADIENT.

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #163 on: July 13, 2016, 03:01:10 pm »
Just in case I am confusing, I hope this helps everyone out

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #164 on: July 13, 2016, 03:05:42 pm »
Just in case I am confusing, I hope this helps everyone out
EDIT by Jamon: Ensure all discussion is civil and respects others right to ask questions.

Draw a tangent on y=x3. The GRADIENT of the TANGENT, is the y-coordinate on the derivative.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 12:01:11 am by jamonwindeyer »