Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 06:08:40 pm

Author Topic: Mathematics Question Thread  (Read 1301713 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Mathematics Question Thread
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2016, 11:52:48 am »
What exactly do you mean by 'illegal'?

If it means doing something that is mathematically wrong like dividing by zero on both sides on a equation, or assuming what you are trying to prove, then that's a big no no.

However if you're using theorems, results and formulas that are outside of the syllabus and not taught covered in school, that's a big yes as it shows you have the initiative to learn more than you're expected to.
Not necessarily in the HSC. Concepts such as L'Hopital's rule that used to get abused by students are now strictly forbidden and subject to being penalised.

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2016, 12:55:14 pm »
I apologize for not being clear about what I  meant by 'illegal'

I was referring to my habit of constantly doing something that is mathematically wrong/not possible.
How do you know what you can and can not do in regards to the trig identities?
Are there particular rules that must be followed when proving trig identities?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2016, 12:58:22 pm »

I was referring to my habit of constantly doing something that is mathematically wrong/not possible.
The rule that everything is not a mathematical mistake or misuse in assumption? Show me an example of where you messed up and did something "illegal" for a better idea.

wyzard

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2016, 03:54:08 pm »
+1
Not necessarily in the HSC. Concepts such as L'Hopital's rule that used to get abused by students are now strictly forbidden and subject to being penalised.

Damn didn't realize the use L'Hopital rule got caught on, it's such a useful theorem to use though ;D Yeah I agree with you though, be mindful of what concepts you can't use too.

Unfortunately there's no easy way out of this, the process of learning mathematics is by making mistakes, and learning from them. So the more mistake you make, the better. It's best learned by experience, just jump in there, make many silly "illegal" moves, and study why you can't do that. Over time, you'll become more sensitive to the mistake and you'll avoid them.
Graduated from high school in 2012 with atar of 99.55.

Currently doing MSc in Physics at UoM researching on Quantum Computers.

Offering group lessons for Unit 3/4 VCE Methods and Physics for 2017!

Selling awesome and in-depth study notes for Unit 3 Physics, PM me if interested! :D

Writer/Tutor at (Nerd of Passion)!
Connect with me on Facebook!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #139 on: July 03, 2016, 06:03:30 pm »
Damn didn't realize the use L'Hopital rule got caught on, it's such a useful theorem to use though ;D Yeah I agree with you though, be mindful of what concepts you can't use too.
Yep

One of the more minor reasons as to why I wanted to do uni maths already was just to abuse the crap out of L'H ;D

But the HSC is just the way it is. Always try to use what's in the syllabuses. I think one of the most lenient things they do is allow implicit differentiation in Ext 1...when it's really just properly taught in Ext 2.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #140 on: July 03, 2016, 07:59:05 pm »
+1
Yep

One of the more minor reasons as to why I wanted to do uni maths already was just to abuse the crap out of L'H ;D

But the HSC is just the way it is. Always try to use what's in the syllabuses. I think one of the most lenient things they do is allow implicit differentiation in Ext 1...when it's really just properly taught in Ext 2.

You'll get marks for the correct answer (if they are available based on the criteria) but not the working  ;D you're totally right, stick to the method taught in that course, no point playing with fire  :P

Would like to say that L'Hopital was my favourite thing in first year math, now it's probably Cauchy-Goursat's Theorem for use in complex contour integration (beautiful math)   ;)

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #141 on: July 04, 2016, 09:08:06 am »
Okay so I am having trouble with "quadratic identities"

I don't seem to understand things like x^2+x+1=a(x-1)^2+b(x-1)+c

How is a=1 c=3 b=3 in this case

Same with this case 3x^2-5x-2=a(x-1)^2+b(x+1)+c

How is a=3 c=-6 and b=1

If anyone here is good at explaining clearly then could you please help me

Thanks  ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #142 on: July 04, 2016, 09:26:27 am »
Okay so I am having trouble with "quadratic identities"

I don't seem to understand things like x^2+x+1=a(x-1)^2+b(x-1)+c

How is a=1 c=3 b=3 in this case

Same with this case 3x^2-5x-2=a(x-1)^2+b(x+1)+c

How is a=3 c=-6 and b=1

If anyone here is good at explaining clearly then could you please help me

Thanks  ;D

wyzard

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #143 on: July 04, 2016, 11:08:45 am »
Would like to say that L'Hopital was my favourite thing in first year math, now it's probably Cauchy-Goursat's Theorem for use in complex contour integration (beautiful math)   ;)

Oh that's such a sweet result :-* I'd say my the Residue Theorem's (again from Complex Analysis) my favorite, and how it can be used to find really nasty integrals and find inverse Laplace Transforms so efficiently.
Graduated from high school in 2012 with atar of 99.55.

Currently doing MSc in Physics at UoM researching on Quantum Computers.

Offering group lessons for Unit 3/4 VCE Methods and Physics for 2017!

Selling awesome and in-depth study notes for Unit 3 Physics, PM me if interested! :D

Writer/Tutor at (Nerd of Passion)!
Connect with me on Facebook!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #144 on: July 04, 2016, 08:41:07 pm »

Oh that's such a sweet result :-* I'd say my the Residue Theorem's (again from Complex Analysis) my favorite, and how it can be used to find really nasty integrals and find inverse Laplace Transforms so efficiently.

Definitely up there, love the Residue Theorem, after I learned it I was like "Why did you even bother teaching us Cauchy's Integral Theorem then?"

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2016, 01:38:12 pm »
Need help with the following questions:

6. A motorbike and car leave a service station at the same time. The motorbike travels on a bearing of 080 degrees and the car travels for 15.7km on a bearing of 108 degrees until the bearing of the motorbike from the car is 310 degrees. How far, correct to 1 decimal place, has the motorbike travelled?

7. A  plane flies from Dubbo on a bearing of 139 degrees for 852 km then turns and flies on a bearing of 285 degrees until it is due west of Dubbo. How far from Dubbo is the place, to the nearest km?

8. Stig leaves home and trave;s on a bearing of 248 degrees for 109.8 km. He then tuens and travels for 271.8 km on a bearing of 143 degrees. Stif then turns and travels home on a bearing of "a"
a. How far does he travel on the final part of his journey?
b. Evaluate a

9. Two cars leave an intersection at the same time, one travelling at 70km/h along one road and he other car travelling at 80 km/h along the other road. After 2 hours they are 218 km apart. At what angle, to the nearest minute, do the roads meet at the intersection?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2016, 05:12:41 pm »
+1

6. A motorbike and car leave a service station at the same time. The motorbike travels on a bearing of 080 degrees and the car travels for 15.7km on a bearing of 108 degrees until the bearing of the motorbike from the car is 310 degrees. How far, correct to 1 decimal place, has the motorbike travelled?

7. A  plane flies from Dubbo on a bearing of 139 degrees for 852 km then turns and flies on a bearing of 285 degrees until it is due west of Dubbo. How far from Dubbo is the place, to the nearest km?

8. Stig leaves home and trave;s on a bearing of 248 degrees for 109.8 km. He then tuens and travels for 271.8 km on a bearing of 143 degrees. Stif then turns and travels home on a bearing of "a"
b. Evaluate a

9. Two cars leave an intersection at the same time, one travelling at 70km/h along one road and he other car travelling at 80 km/h along the other road. After 2 hours they are 218 km apart. At what angle, to the nearest minute, do the roads meet at the intersection?
The others are lecturing right now and I'm afraid I don't have paper on me at this moment. Have you tried drawing diagrams?

If you could upload images of diagram I can tell you if it looks correct, and then just sketch out the method to attempting these questions.

happy_turtle

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Holy Spirit
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2016, 05:14:46 pm »
+1

b. Evaluate a

I have question 9... I'm not sure about the others though

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2016, 07:03:58 pm »

This looks correct. I had glanced at Q9 and realised that it would throw some people off because it makes you go back to speed=distance/time, but judging by that you catered it correctly (and the cosine rule does not look incorrectly substituted) it appears correct

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2016, 09:36:01 pm »

Thanks for that answer happy_turtle, and welcome to the forums!! Absolute legend  ;D conic I'll definitely come and give you an explanation of this style of question tomorrow, just need to finish this lecture series first  ;) I'll run through one besides Question 9  ;D