Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:46:04 am

Author Topic: Mathematics Question Thread  (Read 1296914 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Mathematics Question Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2016, 09:10:51 am »
Try explaining linear algebra to a 6 year old

Coordinates are steps to the left or right, or up and down. If you wanted the parametric version of a line you could explain it in terms of walking to a starting point, then walking so many steps in a given direction. Mappings would be taking longer steps, shorter steps, swapping the direction, etc. Vector spaces would be like the map of the park where you are walking. Etc.

Of course none of this would give them any actual useful skills, but kind of fun to think about!!  ;) I'm a big believer than you can teach anyone, anything (albeit at a very simple level) provided they have the right dedication. Of course, this relies on 6 year olds having the dedication to try and understand linear algebra... So maybe not  ;) anyway, back to the math!!  ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2016, 09:44:52 am »
Coordinates are steps to the left or right, or up and down. If you wanted the parametric version of a line you could explain it in terms of walking to a starting point, then walking so many steps in a given direction. Mappings would be taking longer steps, shorter steps, swapping the direction, etc. Vector spaces would be like the map of the park where you are walking. Etc.

Of course none of this would give them any actual useful skills, but kind of fun to think about!!  ;) I'm a big believer than you can teach anyone, anything (albeit at a very simple level) provided they have the right dedication. Of course, this relies on 6 year olds having the dedication to try and understand linear algebra... So maybe not  ;) anyway, back to the math!!  ;D

You can probably explain a coordinate system but try to explain cross product hahaha

Or more fun try explaining Gaussian elimination!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:47:07 am by RuiAce »

itswags98

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2016, 07:03:48 pm »
Im not sure if this is the right place to ask this but eh...
Everywhere i look at Maths resources, i find study notes of maths... which is not something i want. Ive looked all over the place and i cant seem to find simple formula sheets of the stuff in the course. Unfortunately, this is something i really suck at doing. Ive written study notes for all my subjects but for maths I prefer a simple, clear list of formulas. Any idea where i can find something like this?
Goal of 85 ATAR. Lets do eht

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2016, 07:06:50 pm »
Im not sure if this is the right place to ask this but eh...
Everywhere i look at Maths resources, i find study notes of maths... which is not something i want. Ive looked all over the place and i cant seem to find simple formula sheets of the stuff in the course. Unfortunately, this is something i really suck at doing. Ive written study notes for all my subjects but for maths I prefer a simple, clear list of formulas. Any idea where i can find something like this?

You're literally given a formula sheet by BOSTES now for the exam.

itswags98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2016, 07:16:37 pm »
You're literally given a formula sheet by BOSTES now for the exam.
sure, but theres way too many things missing from it.
Goal of 85 ATAR. Lets do eht

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2016, 07:20:59 pm »

Totally agree! If there is nothing out there, I'll make it my business to get one of these formula sheets written in the next week or two and uploaded to the site! Great idea  ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2016, 07:47:07 pm »
Totally agree! If there is nothing out there, I'll make it my business to get one of these formula sheets written in the next week or two and uploaded to the site! Great idea  ;D
What's missing that you guys want to see so badly?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2016, 08:29:00 pm »
What's missing that you guys want to see so badly?

It's not something I'd want to see in an exam scenario (well this is given since I did without) but even with my tutoring students off the top of my head some missing ones:

• Area of a Secant
  • Multiple Applications of Trapezoidal/Simpson's Rule
  • General Forms of the Trig Expansions

I'm sure there are more  ;D it's like Physics and Chem where you definitely have enough to get by, but it's nice to have something comprehensive around that covers absolutely everything!! And in a form that is easier to study from (I'm thinking this is a study resource  more than anything)  ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2016, 08:37:37 pm »
It's not something I'd want to see in an exam scenario (well this is given since I did without) but even with my tutoring students off the top of my head some missing ones:

• Area of a Secant
  • Multiple Applications of Trapezoidal/Simpson's Rule
  • General Forms of the Trig Expansions

I'm sure there are more  ;D it's like Physics and Chem where you definitely have enough to get by, but it's nice to have something comprehensive around that covers absolutely everything!! And in a form that is easier to study from (I'm thinking this is a study resource  more than anything)  ;D
Well I guess the HSC basically just gave you all the simplified formulae that you need cause

Area of a segment = Area of a sector minus area of a triangle
Trap/Simpson's rule can just be done recursively (tbh, the general Simpson's rule depends on if you start counting at x0 or x1)
Trig is idk I just know it

But yeah fair enough if you want sophistication I can see where you're coming at. But at least they give you the building blocks in the HSC now instead of just an integrals sheet!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2016, 10:14:10 pm »
Well I guess the HSC basically just gave you all the simplified formulae that you need cause

Area of a segment = Area of a sector minus area of a triangle
Trap/Simpson's rule can just be done recursively (tbh, the general Simpson's rule depends on if you start counting at x0 or x1)
Trig is idk I just know it

But yeah fair enough if you want sophistication I can see where you're coming at. But at least they give you the building blocks in the HSC now instead of just an integrals sheet!

Oh absolutely, yes the current formula sheet is more than enough!! I'm interested to see whether the difficulty of the exam is any different in compensation for the sheet, or whether the sorts of questions will change at all  :)

PS - Different counting spots for Simpson's Rule was so annoying in my HSC year I literally refused to look at any formula sheets with it on it but my own posters  :P

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2016, 07:20:00 pm »
For trigonometry limits, why do we have to multiply by the fraction?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2016, 07:39:03 pm »
For trigonometry limits, why do we have to multiply by the fraction?

Hey conic, not quite sure what you mean! Could you give an example??  ;D

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #132 on: July 03, 2016, 10:47:06 am »
Hi at school we've started trigonometry identities proofs
I was wondering if i could get help in understanding what i can and can not do to prove trig identities
and how i should interpret the proofs
I also seem to do illegal steps in getting one side equal the other and never seem to understand how I should 'visualise' and understand what to do when given a proof

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2016, 10:55:39 am »
I was wondering if i could get help in understanding what i can and can not do to prove trig identities
I also seem to do illegal steps in getting one side equal the other and never seem to understand how I should 'visualise' and understand what to do when given a proof
Be clearer about the word "illegal". Only certain things are illegal and it always depends on what you're trying to prove and restrictions.

wyzard

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2016, 11:35:07 am »

What exactly do you mean by 'illegal'?

If it means doing something that is mathematically wrong like dividing by zero on both sides on a equation, or assuming what you are trying to prove, then that's a big no no.

However if you're using theorems, results and formulas that are outside of the syllabus and not taught covered in school, that's a big yes as it shows you have the initiative to learn more than you're expected to.
Graduated from high school in 2012 with atar of 99.55.

Currently doing MSc in Physics at UoM researching on Quantum Computers.

Offering group lessons for Unit 3/4 VCE Methods and Physics for 2017!

Selling awesome and in-depth study notes for Unit 3 Physics, PM me if interested! :D

Writer/Tutor at (Nerd of Passion)!
Connect with me on Facebook!