Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:38:23 am

Author Topic: Past/Current Monash Law students please please reply!  (Read 1081 times)  Share 

fitzapie

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • aloha
  • Respect: 0
Past/Current Monash Law students please please reply!
« on: January 12, 2017, 03:35:56 am »
Hey guys,

I have listed Comm/Law as my first preference and am pretty confident I can get an offer. However, I am starting to have second thoughts because I am quite a shy person and I understand that a Law degree requires public speaking skills. While I am able to do speeches here and there, the thought of a degree that is potentially full of public speaking does freak me out. I can't find any answers anywhere so please please help me out!

So to past and current Monash Law students, how much public speaking is involved? I have heard there is mooting done but is this compulsory or specific to electives? It may seem odd that a shy person would want to do Law but I am aiming for a behind-the-scenes career, such as dealing with company policies and stuff instead of becoming a barrister, solicitor etc (I would like to avoid the court room).

Any answers will be very much appreciated!!
VCE: English [46] Revolutions [44]

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
Re: Past/Current Monash Law students please please reply!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 07:45:22 am »
+1
You won't be required to do much, if any at all, public speaking in your degree. Law degrees do not focus on practical application of being a barrister, if that's what you're confused about. However, it's still an extraordinarily important skill for when you want to land a job because the law market is so ridiculously saturated that you need to good at interviewing if you want to survive. To that end, being involved in some mooting/negotiations events might help you boost your confidence.

Hope this helps.
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

fitzapie

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • aloha
  • Respect: 0
Re: Past/Current Monash Law students please please reply!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 04:44:16 pm »
You won't be required to do much, if any at all, public speaking in your degree. Law degrees do not focus on practical application of being a barrister, if that's what you're confused about. However, it's still an extraordinarily important skill for when you want to land a job because the law market is so ridiculously saturated that you need to good at interviewing if you want to survive. To that end, being involved in some mooting/negotiations events might help you boost your confidence.

Hope this helps.

That's a relief! Thank you very much
VCE: English [46] Revolutions [44]