Uni Stuff > General University Discussion and Queries

Difference between Melbourne JD and Monash Undergrad Law?

(1/5) > >>

Jigsaw:
Hi guys,

I was wondering what the main differences between the two courses are (apart from grad v undergrad), and if anyone seems to know why Melbourne has phased out its undergraduate law courses?

Cheers

brenden:
Doing an undergrad then the JD will cost a load more money haha, I don't know much more than that!

patriciarose:

--- Quote from: Jigsaw on June 17, 2017, 12:05:13 am ---Hi guys,

I was wondering what the main differences between the two courses are (apart from grad v undergrad), and if anyone seems to know why Melbourne has phased out its undergraduate law courses?

Cheers

--- End quote ---

not a law student (just been doing research for a while because ugh vtac applications) so take this with a grain of salt but: pretty sure jd condenses the course quite a bit (you still learn what you need to obviously, but in three years instead). you need an lsat score to get into the jd too, plus your undergrad wam, whereas obviously for the llb it's atar score. also, if you want to practice overseas apparently the jd carries more weight than the llb (because grad degree vs undergraduate? idk.) and there are less csp places for the melbourne jd so bear that in mind because the fees are over $100k. tbh i don't see why you'd wait to do the jd if you get the atar for the llb unless you weren't sure about going straight into it/wanted to do it at melbourne (: but if anyone's doing that i'd also love to hear why? (:

Glasses:
Admittedly, my opinion will be quite biased, but some of the reasons I chose Monash Law > Melbourne are:

- Employability-wise, whether you went to Monash or Melbourne will have virtually no difference; both are viewed quite favourably by employers and both have great reputations.

- The Monash Law Pathway is quicker and allows you to complete two degrees at the same time. Although the Melbourne Pathway obviously requires that you complete an undergraduate degree in a non-law discipline, in my opinion, concurrently completing two degrees is preferable. This is because it diversifies your workload and means that you are not studying 4 law units simultaneously - which is very time-consuming, difficult, and often detrimental to grades.

- In addition to your regular international exchange and study abroad opportunities, Monash Law students are given the opportunity to study at Monash's own international campuses in Prato (Italy) and Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia). This means that you are studying your usual Monash units (with your familiar resources, intranet, etc.), but overseas.

- Students aren't guaranteed entry into the Melbourne JD (unless they achieve a 99.90/99.95). Entry to the Melbourne JD is very competitive and requires a solid GPA and LSAT score. Therefore, if you choose the Melbourne Pathway (without guaranteed entry), you risk studying for three years and accumulating debt without actually gaining admission to the JD.

- Since the Monash Pathway allows students to study law right away, they can immediately gather legal experience with community legal centres, law firms, etc.

- Carrying on from the above, the Monash Law Faculty currently runs two community legal centres (the Monash Law Clinics and Springvale Monash Legal Service) - both of which students can get involved in. Further, Monash Law students are guaranteed the ability to undertake a placement at one of these centres as part of their degree (if they wish).

- The Monash Law Pathway (with or without another degree) is much less expensive. Additionally, there are a limited number of Melbourne JD CSP places; meaning that even if you gain admission to the Melbourne JD, you may be required to pay full fees (which total almost $130k).

- The Monash Law Students' Society is extremely active with students studying law at Monash. They organise and run weekly tutorial sessions, a peer mentor program, heaps of events for first years, parties, competitions, etc. Melbourne also has a Law Students' Society, but in my opinion, the types of events and activities organised by these groups are much more beneficial to undergraduate students.

- Monash has (really, really good) student accomodation; whilst Melbourne doesn't offer student accomodation.

Hope this helps!

Jigsaw:
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide responses! Much appreciated :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version