Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 07:26:01 am

Author Topic: Computer Science options  (Read 1315 times)  Share 

WonkyN

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Computer Science options
« on: January 10, 2021, 05:17:46 pm »
Hi,
I was wondering if CS at RMIT or Monash is better?
It takes me 2 hrs PTV or 40 minutes car to get to Monash (Live in West Melbourne) and it takes me 40 min PTV or 25 min car to get to RMIT.
I've got a sweet scholarship deal with Monash and I'm waiting for RMIT to offer theirs.
Thanks
Further - 46 (2019)

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Computer Science options
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 05:51:15 pm »
+1
What does "better" mean in your view? The reason I ask this is because 'better' can mean so many things e.g. university rankings (which are more geared towards postgrad), better social opportunities, better teaching (?), etc. Most undergraduate degrees need to teach certain things to maintain accreditation so if both CS courses are accredited then they will teach similar things. Particularly in an applied discipline such as IT/CS, the 'extras' are worth a whole lot more than just content e.g. industry experience/projects/internships, networking, etc. so a university that can facilitate these is extremely important.

I'm waiting for RMIT to offer theirs.
Provided they offer you one? Is it confirmed that you're going to get one or are you just assuming here? I'd be going with Monash personally if they have already formally offered you a scholarship and course admission.

I have heard good things about both unis for IT/CS so you can't go wrong. My advice to you would be to deeply consider the travel requirements, map out potential travel routes and how long it would genuinely take you to get to and from the university in question. Keep in mind that travel times are a rough estimate only and there are factors that can influence the times e.g. train delays, traffic (particularly if you're crossing over from one side of the CBD to the other) and more importantly, consider that this has to be maintained on a consistent basis over 3+ years for a Bachelor's degree. Weigh up whether it's worth it and go from there.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

WonkyN

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Computer Science options
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 09:16:37 pm »
What does "better" mean in your view? The reason I ask this is because 'better' can mean so many things e.g. university rankings (which are more geared towards postgrad), better social opportunities, better teaching (?), etc. Most undergraduate degrees need to teach certain things to maintain accreditation so if both CS courses are accredited then they will teach similar things. Particularly in an applied discipline such as IT/CS, the 'extras' are worth a whole lot more than just content e.g. industry experience/projects/internships, networking, etc. so a university that can facilitate these is extremely important.
Provided they offer you one? Is it confirmed that you're going to get one or are you just assuming here? I'd be going with Monash personally if they have already formally offered you a scholarship and course admission.

I have heard good things about both unis for IT/CS so you can't go wrong. My advice to you would be to deeply consider the travel requirements, map out potential travhttps://atarnotes.com/forum/Themes/default/images/bbc/sub.gifel routes and how long it would genuinely take you to get to and from the university in question. Keep in mind that travel times are a rough estimate only and there are factors that can influence the times e.g. train delays, traffic (particularly if you're crossing over from one side of the CBD to the other) and more importantly, consider that this has to be maintained on a consistent basis over 3+ years for a Bachelor's degree. Weigh up whether it's worth it and go from there.

When I say which is better, I'm looking at a course with good foundations and has both a balance of practical work and theory that can well equip me well into the industry straight after my Bachelors.
I heard that theory is a must in order to have better problem-solving skills for software engineering and Monash is known for their in-depth learning. Whereas RMIT has a very practical CS course which can well equip me straight into the workforce.
If I do go to Monash, I would like to squish all my classes for the week into 1 - 2 days (as I live on the other side of Melbourne) and if I go to RMIT, i would spread out my classes throughout the week.
I have not been offered a course admission yet from Monash, just the scholarship which is a separate entity according to Monash and from VTAC, the website shows that RMIT is interested in offering me a scholarship but I'm guessing that they'll give the details when I accept their offer.
I am fairly confident that both universities will offer me a course as my ATAR and subject prereqs are way above the intended (plus I have SEAS).
Further - 46 (2019)