Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:04:54 am

Author Topic: Atar slightly lower than minimum selection rank  (Read 1108 times)  Share 

ally_teoh

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Atar slightly lower than minimum selection rank
« on: January 05, 2021, 08:49:42 pm »
Hi so i recently received an ATAR of 85.4 but my dream course, the bachelor of psychology honours at monash which has a minimum selection rank of 88.65. I have applied for seas for difficult circumstances and non - english speaking background but I'm honestly so worried that I won't be able to make it into the course and idk if seas will be able to boost it high enough  :'( and does anyone think they'll lower the atar requirements for this year?

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Re: Atar slightly lower than minimum selection rank
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 09:08:45 pm »
+2
Hey ally_teoh,

I think it fluctuates a little each year so I think there could be a chance, but I have no idea what the cut off will be like this year sorry.
However, even if you don't get in it's possible to transfer into bachelor of psychology after a year of studying something else, if you get a 70+ WAM. You could pick the same subjects that are done in first year psychology in a science degree, (or some of the same in arts degree) and then apply to transfer courses. Transfer isn't guaranteed with a 70 WAM, it depends on the places available though, I think higher WAM would give more chance (?).
I got some of the info from here:
https://www.monash.edu/course-transfers/course-pages/woo-mango?course_id=2066128 (it doesn't really say much else, it's just evidence that it's a possible option for you).

I really hope you do get an offer this year, best of luck!!  :)
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Atar slightly lower than minimum selection rank
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 07:36:06 pm »
+1
Hi so i recently received an ATAR of 85.4 but my dream course, the bachelor of psychology honours at monash which has a minimum selection rank of 88.65. I have applied for seas for difficult circumstances and non - english speaking background but I'm honestly so worried that I won't be able to make it into the course and idk if seas will be able to boost it high enough  :'( and does anyone think they'll lower the atar requirements for this year?
If it helps ease your stress a little, I just had a look at some of the previous years' stats (the last 3 cohorts). Besides the 88.65 you mentioned, there were slightly lower selection ranks the 2 years before (both in the mid-85s), with the unadjusted ATARs for all 3 years being in the mid-70s. To me, this indicates that SEAS may score you a place, as long as demand for this course isn't too high (or Monash lowers it due to COVID).

Basically, I wouldn't give up hope, your chances of an offer for this course are still OK. Keep it up in Preference #1 and I wish you good luck!     
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread