Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:10:17 am

Author Topic: Moderation is unfairrrrrrr :(((((  (Read 2540 times)  Share 

Julmus00

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
Moderation is unfairrrrrrr :(((((
« on: September 14, 2018, 06:01:13 pm »

Hiii I have a question. If I'm ranked third in a subject, relatively close to the top two, but the entire cohort performs badly in the exam, will I get dragged down? Apparently there is a "huge gap" between me and 4th, so I'm closer to the top two than the rest of the grade

M909

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +48
Re: Moderation is unfairrrrrrr :(((((
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 06:48:43 pm »
Assuming your cohorts third highest exam mark is high enough for your aim you'll be fine.

If you're ranked third you will get the third highest exam score as your assessment mark, and you'll keep your exam mark. So hypothetically, if on the exam the top two score 97 and 95 and you score 93, then the next highest person scores 80, you will receive the equivalent of 93 for your exam and assessment mark. If you get the second highest score on the exam (using the scores in the previous example), you will still get 93 as your assessment mark, but your exam mark will be 95.
Hope this explains it
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:01:48 pm by M909 »
VCE, 2015-2016
BCom (Econ) @ UniMelb, 2017-2019
MCEng (Elec) @ UniMelb, 2020-?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 10:15:02 pm »
Assuming your cohorts third highest exam mark is high enough for your aim you'll be fine.

If you're ranked third you will get the third highest exam score as your assessment mark, and you'll keep your exam mark. So hypothetically, if on the exam the top two score 97 and 95 and you score 93, then the next highest person scores 80, you will receive the equivalent of 93 for your exam and assessment mark. If you get the second highest score on the exam (using the scores in the previous example), you will still get 93 as your assessment mark, but your exam mark will be 95.
Hope this explains it

^ This sums up why you shouldn't be concerned! I should note that you don't get exactly the third highest exam mark as your assessment mark, it's a little more complicated than that, but that's a good way to think of it.

In essence, the system maintains distance. So if you are a huge way ahead of the rest of the cohort, your internal mark will moderate to still be far ahead of the rest of the cohort ;D

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 10:22:43 pm »
I have a question, since if somebody ranked 2nd internally will get the external mark of the person who came 2nd in the
HSC as their internal mark, then if you're ranked 1st and come first in the exam, does your external mark become your internal mark? Then what is your external mark? Idk if that makes sense or if I'm just overthinking the whole process lol.
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 10:32:47 pm »
+4
I have a question, since if somebody ranked 2nd internally will get the external mark of the person who came 2nd in the
HSC as their internal mark

Not exactly, but that's a good way to think about it, what actually happens is a little more complicated! :)

then if you're ranked 1st and come first in the exam, does your external mark become your internal mark? Then what is your external mark? Idk if that makes sense or if I'm just overthinking the whole process lol.

Yes it does - Your internal mark and exam mark become the same, and you have effectively decided your own destiny ;D

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 03:49:04 pm »
Not exactly, but that's a good way to think about it, what actually happens is a little more complicated! :)

Yes it does - Your internal mark and exam mark become the same, and you have effectively decided your own destiny ;D

Oh dear, this is scary AHAHAH
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20