Administration > Announcements

We are probably going to 'un-sticky' a lot of threads - YOUR OPINION?

(1/5) > >>

brenden:
Hey all!

So, when you click "show unread topics" or "show unread VCE topics" etc - the page you see is dominated by orange, dominated by stickies.

For the most part, those stickies are question threads.

Now... the point of a sticky is to keep it at the topic of a child board. I.e., SCIENCE -> CHEMISTRY -> (sticky post) CHEMISTRY RESOURCES.

A Chemistry resource thread never gets posted in so, without a sticky, it would disappear. So we sticky it, so it stays up the top when you go into that board.

Now, Question threads don't have this problem... They are going to stay at the top of a board regardless, because they are so active! And when we sticky so many, we have this weird, ugly blocks of white and orange in the Unread posts page. IMO, most of those threads should be white, with a few key threads having the orange highlighting - otherwise it just defeats the whole purpose.

What do you think?

Aaron:
Is there a way to remove the stickied threads from the unread list? Or to make them appear as though they aren't stickied in the unread list?

I dunno.... I feel like the 'stickied' threads are important and valued, they have a special place at the top of each board for a reason.

I mean.. it could be argued that the forum games and general chat and all those academically irrelevant threads clog up the unread list too.

That's just my view on it anyway.

brenden:

--- Quote from: Aaron on June 23, 2017, 04:57:00 pm ---Is there a way to remove the stickied threads from the unread list? Or to make them appear as though they aren't stickied in the unread list?

I dunno.... I feel like the 'stickied' threads are important and valued, they have a special place at the top of each board for a reason.

I mean.. it could be argued that the forum games and general chat and all those academically irrelevant threads clog up the unread list too.

That's just my view on it anyway.

--- End quote ---
Joey is extremely hesitant to write custom code for the SMF side of the forum - he said a better solution would be to migrate away from SMF entirely (hasn't been updated in a few years, will become untenable with WordPress eventually, so on so forth).

I'm not against sticky threads. I WANT them at the top of the board. But for things like question threads, they WILL BE at the top of the boards anyway!

Forum Games and general chat definitely clog, but they aren't visually dominant. You can still look at other threads. IMO, so many stickies is so visually dominant, it's pretty hard to see other non-stickied threads - people asking questions and stuff like that.

Wales:
It would be nice if you could remove stickied threads from the unread list. Maybe exclude certain posts or something? Stickied threads are amazing though, I like how it's always in that one place and is really useful.

I like the way it is atm :) I rarely use the last unread function anyway ( honestly I just realised it exists ): ) but I assume others do.

brenden:

--- Quote from: Wales on June 23, 2017, 05:07:11 pm ---It would be nice if you could remove stickied threads from the unread list. Maybe exclude certain posts or something? Stickied threads are amazing though, I like how it's always in that one place and is really useful.

I like the way it is atm :) I rarely use the last unread function anyway ( honestly I just realised it exists ): ) but I assume others do.

--- End quote ---
??? so how do you even read posts?!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version