Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 12:45:05 am

Author Topic: How difficult is it to achieve a 80 WAM in commerce?  (Read 1904 times)  Share 

helpmipls

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How difficult is it to achieve a 80 WAM in commerce?
« on: February 05, 2019, 11:10:02 pm »
I received a second round offer for commerce, but have already accepted and enrolled into my first round offer for physiotherapy. I'm still not 100% set on physio, so I was thinking of maybe trying out commerce for a year to see if I like it, and if I don't, apply back into physiotherapy the following year. However, a 70 WAM minimum is required for this, with 80 being preferable. So, how difficult is it to achieve a 70 and 80 WAM respectively in first year commerce? Are there any statistics on the percentage of students who achieve these grades? Thank you

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
Re: How difficult is it to achieve a 80 WAM in commerce?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 11:57:15 pm »
+2
Really depends on the person (interests, ability, circumstances). UoM itself doesn't release statistics of that sort unfortunately, but lecturers may slip an email or a final report for enrolled students.
Most first year commerce units aren't too hard to do well in if you have the common sense and the work ethic (i.e. studying consistently instead of cramming + attending lectures etc.). If you are decent in mathematics then you will have quite the advantage for quantitative subjects (micro, finance, qm etc) even though the mathematical content is quite rudimentary as well. If you don't hate the course with a passion + have decent study schedules in place you'll be fine. All the best. :)
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching