Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 09:47:36 pm

Author Topic: What 1st year Maths should I take? (BSci, doing GAMSAT)  (Read 2270 times)  Share 

bazinsky

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
What 1st year Maths should I take? (BSci, doing GAMSAT)
« on: January 18, 2019, 10:03:09 pm »
I know maths isn't a prereq for graduate med but it IS on the GAMSAT, so I'm wondering what maths subject to take that will provide me with an appropriate baseline of knowledge for the exam. Keep in mind that the only VCE maths subject I did was Methods which yielded my lowest raw score - maths is the subject I'm weakest at in general so I'm not looking to challenge myself in that department at a tertiary level lol

Obviously I can opt out of doing maths entirely during 1st year and save my WAM, but I'm worried that I'll pretty much forget everything maths related in general with all my skills learnt during Methods being tossed out the window. The last thing I want to happen is to start GAMSAT prep and realise I'm completely stuffed for section 3 bc I forgot how to math  :o

Would any past GAMSAT takers recommend doing a maths subject during 2nd year as well?

Thanks in advance  :)

sweetcheeks

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +83
  • School: ---
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: What 1st year Maths should I take? (BSci, doing GAMSAT)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 10:27:55 pm »
+1
Math's isn't part of the GAMSAT. Physics, chemistry and biology is but there aren't any questions that require a university level of math. The only math on the GAMSAT when I sat it (September 2018) was basic algebra. If you can pass first year chemistry, you'll know all the math you will need for the GAMSAT.

If you want to take a maths and you aren't strong at it, calculus 1 would be the recommendation. I wouldn't take a maths subject purely for benefit of the GAMSAT because it would be a complete waste (money wise and subject wise). Instead, I would be doing physics.

bazinsky

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 06:09:56 pm »
Math's isn't part of the GAMSAT. Physics, chemistry and biology is but there aren't any questions that require a university level of math. The only math on the GAMSAT when I sat it (September 2018) was basic algebra. If you can pass first year chemistry, you'll know all the math you will need for the GAMSAT.

If you want to take a maths and you aren't strong at it, calculus 1 would be the recommendation. I wouldn't take a maths subject purely for benefit of the GAMSAT because it would be a complete waste (money wise and subject wise). Instead, I would be doing physics.

My reasoning for doing physics is purely for GAMSAT prep as well which doesn't seem like a good idea either :( I'm really conflicted about this agh

Hydroxyl

• Trendsetter
  • Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 12:24:29 pm »
+1
Bump - timetabling is tomorrow and I'm still freaking out about whether or not to do physics fundamentals!

Hi!!

I've done Physics Fundamentals in 2018 and I wanted to share my experience with it.

If I had to give the subject itself a rating, I would give it a very low mark out of 5. Like 0-1/5.

I generally do not like to leave negative reviews but when I did it the School of Physics was all over the place. The subject was very poorly taught and the level of physics the professors were at are of course, a might higher level than that of a Fundamentals student. As such, I found that they communicate the information at a much more rapid rate and it's often very hard to follow.

I did PHYC10005 for the GAMSAT because I dislike Physics and I had no prior exposure to it except in Year 10. I found that the subject was positive in that some of the tutors are good - but if you want to get a good mark then you must be prepared to do a lot of work yourself. Do the tutorial questions and always seek out help because unfortunately they would not know to help you if you don't seek it.

As much as I disliked the subject, I still commend the way the faculty ran the exam. The exam was actually at an easier level than predicted. the lecturers informed us what would be on the exam and many questions came from previous exams. As such, I would recommend doing the previous exams (but some of the solutions were incorrect) and make sure you understand and do everyone they give you. Unfortunately, you do not want to slack off in Physics as opposed to Biology or Chemistry. Falling behind in Biology/Chem in terms of pracs, assignments and what not is nowhere near as bad as in Physics.

I definitely think it's possible to pull a good mark in the subject as well. It's just a difficult one to receive.

In the end, despite it being the most painful of subjects I've done at uni, I still appreciate the bare exposure it's provided for the GAMSAT (i.e. being familiar with units and physical concepts, enough to infer an answer if the context is unknown to me). However, with Physics Fundamentals and Biomed Physics, both subjects still do not cover the basis for the entire Physics section of the GAMSAT. Be sure to do all the work you can for it because it isn't impossible.

It also depends on what Chemistry you're doing. Are you doing Chemistry 1? I think the workload is very manageable with that and Biology of Cells and Organisms.

Just know that everyone complains about the School of Physics. From my experience, it is the most disorganised school in the Faculty of Science. They even managed to mess up the timetable for Biomed Physics last year because of some mixup and had to work around it.

All the best. If you don't do the subject, you won't necessarily be at a disadvantage, but it's essential that if you do not, you cover the physics over some other time period to allow you to be prepared for the GAMSAT.

All the best :D
Hydroxyl
2016: Biology [41] | Further Mathematics [42]
2017: Chemistry [36] | Mathematical Methods [38] | English [44] | Psychology [50 + Premier's Award]
ATAR: 98.25
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Science (Psychology) — The University of Melbourne
2021-2024: Doctor of Medicine — Griffith University (Gold Coast)
~ My Success is only from Allah ~