Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 10:06:08 pm

Author Topic: Torn with Subject Selection  (Read 1447 times)  Share 

SemiAdapted

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Torn with Subject Selection
« on: January 18, 2019, 09:28:06 am »
Hello all, I've been very torn as to what majors and minors I should do this year in a Bachelor of Arts, with the ultimate goal being to do a Juris Doctor of Law. My plan was to do a double major in Anthropology and Politics and International Relations with a couple of law units as breadth subjects, but I also thought of doing the second major as a minor instead, or doing Law and Justice with either of those majors. I even thought of Sociology or European Studies! This sounds like a mess as I type it out, but is there any help that can be offered? Even just a rundown of what a subject is actually like to study?

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
Re: Torn with Subject Selection
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 09:52:22 am »
Hey SemiAdapted,

If you decide to double-major, you will still have room for a minor.

Personally, I’d avoid Law and Justice because you can explore this interest through Law Breadth subjects instead (Unless you’re REALLY interested in taking more Law subjects!).

Have you looked at what subjects you will be studying in Sociology/European Studies? Looking at course descriptions, readings, etc., might help you to narrow down your choices!

sweetcheeks

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +83
  • School: ---
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 10:58:20 am »
The unimelb subject review thread may have some reviews on subjects you're interested in: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=43031.0

SemiAdapted

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 09:07:00 pm »
Thanks everyone, I decided to look over stuff again when I was in a better headspace and decided on Politics and Sociology as the double major, though I don't think I can do a minor with that.

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 10:07:10 pm »
Anthropology is amazing, so I would recommend the first year unit at the very least (quite a few people do both first year anthro and sociology). You cover topics like cannibalism, food, kinship/incest, magic, science, religion, environmental justice, political organisation, gifts and economic exchange. Just an example of an anthropological practice-how the ways in which Occupy Wall Street protesters organise themselves and communicate say about power?

Tutorials are mainly discussions of the readings as well as the topic of the week. The assignments are pretty varied, ethanograhic exercise, multiple choice test and essay (from 10 prompts. An ethanography is an observation of a place or community which includes small details of how people communicate, interact, move within a space, procedures of doing things with the aims of saying something related to larger themes of gender, political power, technology, climate change, health and religion. This forms much of the basis of anthro. I also think that Anthro is unique compared to other humanities majors in that you discuss critiques of the discipline and practice. Both the potential main lecturers are engaging and passionate about the subject. If you appreciate a ground-up perspection, building from discussing nitty gritty details of the lived experience to discuss broader themes, Anthropology would suit you well.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

SemiAdapted

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 11:05:06 pm »
That sounds great appleandbee, can I do the first unit alongside politics and sociology or is that not possible?

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 11:47:37 am »
That sounds great appleandbee, can I do the first unit alongside politics and sociology or is that not possible?

Fitting Anthropology in is extremely doable as you have to do six first year arts subjects (you can do more but you have to use your breadths to do so). Within those six subjects, one has to be an Arts foundation and you only need to complete one first year subject each in politics and sociology to major in both of them. So you have up to 3 subject spaces (without having to use your breadth) to explore areas outside of politics and sociology. One of the main purposes of first year is to explore a range of areas, as many people aren't sure about what they want to major in or would like to be exposed to others outside of their prospective major in case they change their mind.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb