Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:10:36 pm

Author Topic: feel like i'm gonna fail japanese sl 1/2  (Read 1496 times)  Share 

suskieanna

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
feel like i'm gonna fail japanese sl 1/2
« on: May 26, 2018, 11:32:33 am »
i am REALLY struggling with japanese...
i started studying japanese since last year (didn't study much regreting now...)and i got 20~30% in my reading sac... i literally didn't understand the text... the most difficult part is reading i finds writing easiest and speaking oral is pretty okay (if i prepare for it i can do pretty good). i am so worried that i am failing. i am struggling with reading because i dont know what vocab to memorise. I finds the grammar easy but not memorising vocabs. i really need to memorise the most basic and most frequently used vocabs first but it is so difficult to find vocabs. I tried to memorise random ones but those ones don't come in the article. Please help!!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: feel like i'm gonna fail japanese sl 1/2
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 02:53:19 pm »
+1
i am REALLY struggling with japanese...
To address the vocab issue, I'd recommend that you visit the vocab lists in your textbooks. You might have encountered these ones before: Obentou Supreme, Wakkatta and Koukou Seikatsu. I'd also recommend that you revisit the kanji list in the VCE Japanese study design. I'd advise making flashcards on a program like Anki or Quizlet and revisit those daily. Some of the most common concepts in JSL 1/2 are Japanese celebrations/ events, school and sports/ culture, so it might be worth studying those. Other common passages are on contemporary issues e.g. women in Japanese society, recycling, health, the ageing Japanese population. I'd highly advise that you also revisit comprehension skills, note the language you are asked to respond in (this is a very easy mistake to make!) and how to translate/ answer questions properly.

If you haven't already, invest in a good Japanese-English paper dictionary. It will be worth the money. 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Re: feel like i'm gonna fail japanese sl 1/2
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 01:06:17 am »
Hey. I just have to say, I empathise with you completely. I started learning Japanese in Year 9 last year, and I'm not continuing to learn it at school (because I have other subject interests), but I still learn it at home. I remember being put into the class and people could read hiragana and katakana really fluently, along with some kanji, I know how you feel.

Assuming that you can read the characters well enough, if you don't understand a sentence, find words that you do understand and try to figure out contextually what it could mean. You can also practice this by reading conversations or subtitles for Japanese media, as usually you'll be able to deduce what is happening.
Since it sounds like your biggest struggle is the vocabulary, I'd suggest getting an app called DuoLingo. It's free on all mobile devices, and I personally find it works really well to build your vocabulary, since it mostly focusses on it. I use it to study at home to this day, and it has proved extremely useful. Other apps I've used are Duolingo and Drops, but I've always ended up liking DuoLingo the most. DL teaches you the most basic vocab to some of the most convoluted sentences.

頑張ろう、suskianna-kun!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 01:07:51 am by dashnog »
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature