Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:44:15 pm

Author Topic: Why did Atwood have Miranda die  (Read 579 times)

Bilbo

• Adventurer
  • Respect: -1
Why did Atwood have Miranda die
« on: March 14, 2019, 04:28:54 pm »
Why did she do this in regards to her context and values, and how does the miranda she creates represent her context and values.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Why did Atwood have Miranda die
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 05:30:07 pm »
Why did she do this in regards to her context and values, and how does the miranda she creates represent her context and values.

Hey, Bilbo!

This is actually a really interesting question that I’m still trying to find a concrete answer for  :o I found this paper which discusses why Atwood might have chosen to do this that you might like to have a read of  ;D I think a key reason why she might have done this is to make Felix’s motivations more personal. Yes, he seeks revenge and aims to stage the best production, but a part of that is also bringing to life his deceased daughter and to gain closure from that  :)

Miranda’s existence, or lack thereof, has a continual role in Felix’s life, much like how Prospero’s daughter played in his actions as a leader and father. Her absence almost makes her more present and instrumental to Felix’s decision making, as well as the experience of loss that Felix has intending to generate a greater level of sympathy from contemporary audiences. While we can never truly know what Atwood intended, I think that taking Miranda out of the appropriation allows audiences to grasp the Shakespeare counterpart in more depth, to realise how influential relationships can be in one’s agency and to give Felix his own driving factor  ;D I hope that answers it or that the paper does!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:17:39 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music