Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:18:41 am

Author Topic: Biomed vs. pharmacy at Monash?  (Read 1120 times)  Share 

larissaaa_

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Biomed vs. pharmacy at Monash?
« on: December 14, 2016, 12:13:09 pm »
Hey guys, I need some serious advice pls.
So before receiving atars I had my uni preferences as 1- Biomedicine at Melbourne Uni, 2- Biomedical science at Monash, 3- Bachelor + Master of Pharmacy at Monash and so on. My school is considered under privileged by both Melbourne Uni and Monash so we can get in with lower atars than the clearly-ins listed. After results day, I got an ATAR above 90 but still under the atar you needed for access melbourne into biomed, but it was well above the atar needed for entry into biomed and pharmacy at Monash using monash guarantee. So now I'm torn between those two options. The pros with biomed is that it's a much broader course which is good for someone like me who still doesn't know what they want to major in and it has always interested me from the beginning, but the thing that's troubling me is that that would mean a 2 hour public transport journey to uni every single day of the week (bc apparently biomed classes run 5 days a week?) and then another 2 hours home. And I'm not entirely keen on moving out just yet. The pros with pharmacy is that the monash campus is smack bang in the middle of the city so it'll take me 40-50 minutes max to get there, and also you do your bachelors and masters all in the span of 5 years instead of doing bachelors of biomed for 3 years then majoring in something else for another 3 years. However cons is that I feel like I will be stuck with pharmacy for life and there are no electives offered in that course and I would really like to continue italian. So, my question is, if you guys were in my position what would you pick? Any current or past uni students know if I can take pharmacy at monash then like an extra diploma or something to continue italian? Or is it possible to start biomed at monash then transfer to pharmacy if transport becomes too much of a problem?

If you've read this far you must have amazing attention and patience so you may as well leave some advice ;) Thankyou in advance to anyone who replies!

Mod (J41): I've just moved this to the general university board; it should get more traffic here, and is better placed. Best of luck. :)
EDIT: Re-read the thread, actually better placed here. Hopefully Ask Monash University sees this!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 12:35:46 pm by Joseph41 »