Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:14:54 am

Author Topic: Pros and the Con: angewina_naguen's Journey Waddling Through Uni  (Read 18019 times)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Pros and the Con: angewina_naguen's Journey Waddling Through Uni
« on: February 16, 2019, 02:09:37 pm »
+19
16/02/2019

Hey, everyone!

I’m super excited to start this University Journal which I had been meaning to commence for a while. With Welcome Week next week, I figured now would be a great time to start my journey with this thread!

For those who are unaware, I kept a HSC Journal throughout Year 12, documenting my crazy experience with four Major Work subjects and sharing a snippet of my life as a student. Towards the end of my journal, I also shared in an extensive post my reason for pursuing Music Ed and what I would like to achieve out of my degree. I had incredible fun with the journal and I found that it taught me the value of accountability and was a large source of motivation when I needed it most. It was because of this that I decided to journal my university journey!

As indicated in the title for this journal, I will be studying a four year Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. Believe me when I say that I am still surprised I managed to be accepted because I truly am! I never would have guessed myself to end up at the Con, especially with a multitude of challenges posed throughout my HSC. What this did do is encourage me to work harder and I look forward to a new adventure in my course  ;D

This was already shouted out on another thread by Rui but I was also able to gain a position as a Tutesmart tutor recently! I have a great passion for teaching and I’m more than delighted to be tutoring Advanced English at UTS. The Sunday class I have are a bunch of lovely students and I’m hoping for this to be a huge help for my future career aspirations. I’ve been buzzing around the English threads for the last few months still recovering from the HSC and will continue to post more in my Poetry Thread once everything settles in.

As for university, I am yet to receive approval for my student ID card  :'( Transport is so expensive as an adult  >:( I’m hoping they get this fixed up soon so I can use my concession card. I am also waiting for my classes to be streamed and sorted out before I can finalise my timetable. At the moment, I’m enrolled in the following subjects;

-Harmony and Analysis
-Aural Perception
-Music in Modern Times
-Key Ideas in Music Education
-Fundamentals of Teaching
-Musicology Workshop
-Choir

It’s going to be one heavy semester but I’m up for the challenge  8) I’m hoping to update this journal once a week at least and keep my progress tracked. The aim for this week is to get my textbooks sorted out and start any readings as soon as possible so I can prepare for the classes. I would also like to roughly get my repertoire for this year decided. My partner and I have been talking a lot about starting a YouTube channel and would like to commence this project by mid year. As evident in my title, I’m really interested in musical theatre and would love to share my performances with AN in the Creative Corner once that gets up and running  ;D

That’lll be all for this entry! I’m pumped to have everyone on board and ready for an eventful academic year  ;D Thanks for reading what will be the first of many posts and have a great weekend!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 03:54:31 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: Pros and the Con: The Musical
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 03:47:46 pm »
+4
I'm really excited to read your journal! It'll be cool to see the differences between unis!!   ;D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 04:02:22 pm »
+5
Congratulations on your successes so far - I'm sure we'll see many more as this journal unfolds :)

w0lfqu33n89

• Trendsetter
  • This is my text until I find another poetic quote
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 04:13:39 pm »
+5
Congrats girl! as a weird compliment from a stranger I am proud of you! cant wait to see more from this blog! all the best! xx

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 04:47:14 pm »
+5
Congratulations! As a fellow music theatre enthusiast, I can’t wait to follow along on your exciting journey :) looking forward to more updates!
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 06:04:33 pm »
+6
omg yes I'm so keen for your uni adventures at the con! i enjoyed reading your major works journey and can't wait to read updates about your uni studies!

i know two people from the con and worked with one for a short film. it's not uncommon for the con and aftrs to collaborate on projects since we are in need of screen music and they are in need of projects. can i smell a collaboration in the future ?? ;D ;D
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 08:48:22 am »
+13
21/02/2019

Hey, everyone!

Been having an awesome O Week and exploring my new homes (because I have so many friends on main campus, I'm probably going to be there more than the Con I reckon) for the next four years!

I'll be sharing my O Week adventures in the next post since I'm heading up again today with a friend to hang out on campus. One quick thing though- textbooks are bloody expensive. My partner and I have agreed to split for one of our textbooks once my scholarship money comes in because we thought of it a better idea than to buy two separate ones. I knew they would cost a lot but it was another thing coming when I was there looking at the price tag and gasping much louder than I probably should have  :-[

I wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome into the new journal! I'm excited to have an audience for it  :) It'll hopefully keep me motivated in uni and help me track my progress. I've finished off some readings for this coming week but still waiting on my timetable to be finalised  :'( I also had to change my Fundamentals of Teaching unit for this semester to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Music which I'm okay with. I loved performing Indigenous music in high school so I'm completely happy with the change, resolving one of my clashes.

I'm really excited to read your journal! It'll be cool to see the differences between unis!!   ;D

I'm also really excited to see the differences as well! I'd imagine there would be heaps of competition here but I would think that it would be the same anywhere. I was actually thinking of going to UNSW for a while too so it would be cool to compare the two places and see what might have been  :)

Congratulations on your successes so far - I'm sure we'll see many more as this journal unfolds :)

Thank you, miniturtle! I'm hoping to keep up what has been a pretty solid academic record but I would also like to achieve beyond with extra-curricular activities now that I have time for them. It'll be interesting for sure to see how this year goes  ;D

Congrats girl! as a weird compliment from a stranger I am proud of you! cant wait to see more from this blog! all the best! xx

Not a weird compliment at all  ;D I'm glad to have you on board with the journal too and hope I'll have great news and content to deliver throughout the year. Thanks!

Congratulations! As a fellow music theatre enthusiast, I can’t wait to follow along on your exciting journey :) looking forward to more updates!

Always love finding theatre people because I didn't have many of them in high school! Welcome on board  ;D I actually joined the Musical Theatre Ensemble for my first society yesterday so I'm pumped to be a part of all their shenanigans  8) Will definitely post heaps about my musical theatre adventures too.

omg yes I'm so keen for your uni adventures at the con! i enjoyed reading your major works journey and can't wait to read updates about your uni studies!

i know two people from the con and worked with one for a short film. it's not uncommon for the con and aftrs to collaborate on projects since we are in need of screen music and they are in need of projects. can i smell a collaboration in the future ?? ;D ;D

And to the person who started all of this  ;D Bea recommended me keeping a journal when I was but a wee Year 12 lass and here I am now with my university one! I'm just as keen to share all my fun at the Con  ;D A collaboration would indeed be something I would be up for  ;)

That's my entry for today! I'll be posting some time at the end of the week and will have amazing things to share soon!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 10:07:43 am »
+6
So good to hear that you’ve had a great week so far!!

For your textbooks, have you looked into getting second hand ones (if possible)? Try StudentVIP and Facebook groups because they’ll be a lot cheaper and most of the time they’re in good condition :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 02:17:50 pm »
+12
23/02/2019

Hey, everyone!

Is anyone still typing/writing up 2018 because I'm still doing this and we're almost done with February. It's slightly concerning.

Had a big week with Welcome Week up at USYD and the Con. I went up to the Con on Monday early and walking up the slope to the university made me think "my goodness, I am going to dread this." This was immediately something I took back when I considered the walk to and from Redfern for the USYD peeps and I experienced this firsthand on the days I went up to campus for Welcome Week. I don't particularly hate walking but I do get tired easily from physical activity so hopefully that's something I can work on over the next few years  ;D

I will have to say I am a little overwhelmed by how much work there is already. I was on the Canvas website just having a look at what I have to prep for and I was surprised at how much there is to do just for this first week. I've been powering through my Harmony work because I know for sure it's going to be my hardest subject and hoping to get ahead so I can take in content easier during the lecture and tutorial I have on the first day. I'm excited for Music in Modern Times because I did Modernism in Year 11 for English and Visual Arts which I found really interesting. It's going to be great to look at it now in terms of music in particular  :)

My timetable has finally been sorted out too! I don't have to come in on Tuesday so I can reserve that for any homework from the other days, as well as to keep it open for any work I may need to do for Tutesmart. It works out perfectly in that instance. I do have one 2 hour class on a Friday from 2pm-4pm which slightly annoys me but at least it's in the afternoon  :) That's not too bad.

I had heaps of fun exploring campus, going to my first uni party and meeting new people. It's certainly a different environment from high school but one I think I'll get used to quickly because of how much freedom there is. I'll also have my partner with me! We share Music in Modern Times and will be doing Choir together so I won't feel so alone even though I barely know anyone on campus. I'm excited to spend time with him at uni and to study together.

So good to hear that you’ve had a great week so far!!

For your textbooks, have you looked into getting second hand ones (if possible)? Try StudentVIP and Facebook groups because they’ll be a lot cheaper and most of the time they’re in good condition :-)

I checked out both and none of them had the resources I needed  :'( Luckily, an ex-student I'm friends with has given me two of the textbooks I need so I'm forever grateful for her! I will definitely make the most of them. I think music students get the short straw but there's always ways around it  :) Thank you for recommending me to check them out!

That'll be all for today's entry. I look forward to checking in about my first week soon  8) Have a great weekend, all!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 11:13:11 pm »
+12
28/02/2019

Hey, everyone! Bit of a late night impulse post from me. First week of uni is almost over so I'll recap my experience on the weekend after my last class tomorrow!

As for this random entry, I just realised I never actually gave some background about myself on the forum! With the recent mod promotion and my aim to make this journal more of a personal, growth-orientated one, I figured it would make sense to give a little origin story before the "university" part kicks in!

The story of how I found ATARNOTES is on a separate thread but for those who haven't seen it, I encountered AN through its Headstart lecture series in 2017. I didn't know they were on at all; I was just coincidentally in the city when the first one was running. As I was walking past the building, I heard a screaming Jamon ushering people into the lectures and came across that big ol' ATARNOTES logo slapped on the building with an arrow pointing inside. I thought "hey, I'm doing the HSC next year. Why not see what's up?"

I ended up signing up for English Advanced with Elyse and Modern History with my new gal pal Susie who I aspire to achieve a vice-chancellor memelord role with. The lectures completely motivated me, especially after Year 11 being quite exhausting, and I decided to invest on the forums as a result. While I initially wasn't posting much and used it more for resources, I gravitated towards the "giving" aspect of the community and really found myself benefiting through it.

From then, I attended basically every Advanced and Modern lecture there was after that, as well as Emily's Extension 1 English lecture (which I credit to getting me my unprecedented 48) and Maddie's Visual Arts (one of my favourite additions to the lecture series). It was nice to be surrounded by people who were also eager to learn and I felt very comfortable with the vibe AN had going. This is why I'm still here today  ;D If it weren't for these brilliant lecturers, I wouldn't have been as compelled to this forum as I am and even working now with AN as a Tutesmart tutor. I owe a lot to the forum for my HSC success and intend to give back in every way I can  ;D

To end this, my username and DP! I have actually used angewina_naguen as a username for many accounts. My niece (who is now a lot older than she was when this came to be) couldn't pronounce my name and just called me "wina" for a solid four years. I got accustomed to it and asked her how she would pronounce my surname (Nguyen) and hence, this was born  ;D

And my beloved Waddles! The infamous pig I have in my DP is from one of my favourite cartoons Gravity Falls. I watched Gravity Falls throughout Years 7-9 and despite being a very moody and, quite frankly, an insufferable teenager, I was ultimately a child at heart trying hard to reconcile my love for watching cartoons with growing up. The show followed me through this journey and made a huge impact on me. When I first started dating Alex, it was also the first show we binge watched together because of that. This picture of Waddles is Alex's favourite screenshot and as someone who likes to collect patterned socks (yes, I do that), I just found it perfect to represent my account.

That's my backstory I guess all in one go! Looking forward to sharing my start of uni experience with you all soon!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D 
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

w0lfqu33n89

• Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 02:13:18 pm »
Love the story of your nickname! so cute!! You sound like such a beautiful soul cant wait to hear (well read) more of your journal! Hope uni is going well x

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 04:48:36 pm »
+10
02/03/2019   

Hey, everyone!

We've reached the end of the first week of uni! I was a little nervous when I started but eventually got into the swing of things after Thursday. It's definitely a change of pace and will take some getting used to but all the initial excitement with being in my course is all still there!

I had my Modern Times lecture and Harmony lecture and tutorial on Monday. I'm really pumped for Modern Times because I'm a huge nerd with music history and I just can't wait to learn more about Modernism in music. I sat next to Alex in the lecture theatre which I found a surreal experience in itself. He wasn't as into it as I was but I don't think anyone can measure up to how giddy I get when it comes to learning  ::) Harmony was a little more challenging; the lecturer Lewis is a precious soul so I want to do well, even though I know it will be hard to. My tutor for the course is really cool too so that will motivate me, despite my concerns with not being good at harmony and analysis.

Tuesday was a rather full-on day. I got to the Con early with Alex for our voice placements for Choir. I already knew I was going to be singing alto so it was no surprise but I got to meet Liz up close, as opposed to only seeing her from the top of the arena theatre during School Spec. We got through some study together and had our Modern Times tutorial afterwards. I was a little intimidated by how much everyone already knew and I thought I was pretty well-prepared too. It'll be what keeps me driven though so I think that it was a good thing I felt that way. I also had Musicology Workshop which was awesome  ;D It's a small class and everyone seems really friendly. We get to do a PIP-style research project for the semester and present it. Four major works has prepared me well  :) I've been brainstorming some ideas which I'd like some insight from you all about. As non-musicians, and musicians too, which of the following topics would you be interested in hearing a talk about?

- A comparison between Antonio Vivaldi's The Four Seasons and Astor Piazzolla's The Four Seasons of Buenos Aires, looking at how context has influenced their musical styles and compositional decisions in representing "the four seasons." Vivaldi was an Italian Baroque composer and Piazzolla was a 20th century nouvea tango composer, so I would explore musical conventions from both periods and how they manifest in those works.
- A conceptual investigation into a collection of Franz Schubert's compositions, exploring his fascination with death as a theme that underpins many of his works. I would analyse how death is portrayed musically by Schubert and what this says about mortality as a driving phenomenon in Romantic music-making.
- An analysis of Fritz Kreisler's Love's Joyand Love's Sorrow to explore how emotion is communicated with musical techniques and devices.  Both of some of my favourite pieces of music and I would look at the similarities and differences of the two pieces.

Would love to see what you all would be interested in seeing me research into this year!

Thursday was a heavy day for me. I had a 9am-1pm block with Aural tutorials and Key Ideas in Music Education. I enjoyed them heaps though so it wasn't too bad! I have an awesome Mus Ed cohort and they're all very fun people. I'm excited to spend the next four years with them and hopefully having lifelong friendships even when we go out to teach. I had a break which I spent relaxing in the uni cafe and then went for Choir which lasted for three hours. Loving the repertoire so far and I'm looking forward to learning it.

My last class was yesterday which was Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island Music. It's a class designed for second years but due to my enrolment pattern being weird, I'm doing it in first. The second years seem nice though so I hope I can make some friends. My first assessment is a group task too so it sorta needs to happen soon  :-\ Other than that, my tutor is ahead of the times so it'll be great to have him.

Long recap over, I guess I really like uni so far. I don't feel exhausted, though I know a lot of my friends do, but that's because I enjoy learning! I'm actually really happy to be in environment where I'm not that weird kid who likes analysing music anymore. While the standards are much higher than ever, I feel more normal amongst the people. It's definitely going to be a feeling I'll love for a long time.

For this week, I have homework to complete for basically all my subjects but I also have to do the Consent Matters module that is compulsory for USYD students. I am also aiming to get ahead for Harmony if possible to not be entirely lost in my lecture and tutorial classes.

Love the story of your nickname! so cute!! You sound like such a beautiful soul cant wait to hear (well read) more of your journal! Hope uni is going well x

And you're so sweet! Keen you have to on board with the journal too  ;D I too hope uni will go well in the next few weeks! We'll see :D That'll be all for this entry. Have a lovely weekend and toodles!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

w0lfqu33n89

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 07:30:35 am »
+1
Hey Angelina! Glad you are settling into your first week well! I love the passion and excitement you have towards learning and new things, its a great gift to have!

as for your project/assignment/assessment (whatever they call it in uni!  ;D)

I love the idea of

- An analysis of Fritz Kreisler's Love's Joyand Love's Sorrow to explore how emotion is communicated with musical techniques and devices.  Both of some of my favourite pieces of music and I would look at the similarities and differences of the two pieces.

I feel because they are your two favourite pieces of music it will be more fun and less work. but its all up to you!

toodles xx

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 10:22:57 pm »
+9
08/03/2019

Hey, everyone!

Second week of uni has been a bit busier. I received my first assignment which just happens to be for Harmony and Analysis 1 (the subject I feel the least knowledgeable with and prepared for). It's not worth a lot but I still want to do well just for a self-esteem boost. Other than this, things are starting to come together and I'm excited to pick up my pace with it!

I have to say on an emotional (?) note, I've finally felt as if I've found a place to belong. I always felt isolated from people in high school in terms of music because I was one of two Music 2 students who completed my HSC through distance education. It was hard to share my love for musicology (goodness, that sounds nerdy, doesn't it?) and talk about music as openly so being in uni has made me feel more comfortable with who I am. It's refreshing to be around people who are willing to hear me rave on about my interests, whether it be in string quartets or in indie music. I feel more normal and I think that's something I'm really enjoying about uni.

That being said, I did visit my high school today to say hello to my teachers. The CAPA faculty there are my favourite people in the world and I miss them heaps. I do love my uni lecturers and tutors too so I'm just blessed to be around amazing and inspiring people.

I'm going to be doing a volunteer performance next Sunday after I tutor so that's going to be fun  ;D It's a dinner event for VSA and VCAY so I've decided to sing two songs in Vietnamese for that, as well as another three tracks. Will be posting footage hopefully of that some time after so I'll also share that here  ;D

Hey Angelina! Glad you are settling into your first week well! I love the passion and excitement you have towards learning and new things, its a great gift to have!

as for your project/assignment/assessment (whatever they call it in uni!  ;D)

I love the idea of
I feel because they are your two favourite pieces of music it will be more fun and less work. but its all up to you!

toodles xx

I'm definitely thinking of the Kreisler right now but I'm going to dive into some more musical works and see what might pique my interest from my musicological point of view  ;D Thank you for contributing to the thread though! Also love that you've used my trademark Toodles  ;) Very cute!

And for a final note, I think I'll start updating more regularly so there's less big slabs of text bombarding everyone  :o Hope you all have a great weekend and here's to another week filled with joy!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 10:39:12 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 06:56:02 pm »
+7
13/03/2019

Hey, everyone!

Wrote this on the train during rush hour home from uni. There are a lot of people in this carriage. This week’s been busy so far with more content rolling in, lots of mini assessments and quizzes in class and performance rehearsing for the weekend. I’m finding some of the subjects graduating exponentially in difficulty. It took me four hours, way more than the hour from the first week, to complete my short answer questions for one of my tutorials so that indicates what I mean there.

I’m excited to go over the choir learning tracks and have plenty of aural preparation to do for tomorrow. There’s a reading for Key Ideas I need to finish off as well but other than that, it is looking like a rather chill weekend.

The amazing thing about today was that I was able to meet Elena Kats Chernin! She came in to give a casual workshop on her compositional process. As a music student, I’m so used to all the composers I study to be (deceased) that it was almost surreal to be in the presence of someone who I literally studied as a part of my HSC course. My tutor assigned me with the task of buying her a bouquet of flowers which I’m very glad she loved. It was an intimate and highly rewarding opportunity that I will owe the Con huge for giving me  8)

Nice and quick entry today. Hope everyone’s week has been well and I’ll touch base soon!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D

PS. I realised I never gave an origin for my “Toodles” sign off  :o I don’t remember exactly where it came from but the first time I used it was in Year 11. I was saying goodbye to a friend and for some reason, it just came out naturally. It’s now one of my defining traits :) Others include my obsessive need to sanitise my hands and a tendency to switch the letters of words around (I actually once asked a lady at KFC for four “dricken chumsticks”).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 09:31:49 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-