Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 03:51:11 am

Author Topic: Double Majors  (Read 2854 times)  Share 

peterpiper

• Forum Obsessive
  • ppp
  • Respect: +257
Double Majors
« on: November 19, 2017, 09:03:21 am »
I've heard that only one of your majors can be included in your degree when you graduate from UoM. Does Monash allow two majors to be included?

And when you minor in something from UoM, will that be included in your degree?

I'm a bit unsure how this works :\
2017: VCE COMPLETED

izzydes

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
Re: Double Majors
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 12:38:20 pm »
+8
Some undergrad degrees have double majors, such as the Bachelor of Design and Bachelor of Arts - meaning when you graduate your transcript will say you have completed two majors. These double majors you complete in 3 years, as opposed to 4 years (I think correct me if I am wrong) at Monash if you do a double degree. This is because double majors come from the same faculty and there are usually subjects that will cross over, ie. Construction & Architecture double major in Design.

In contrast, in the Bachelor of Science you could theoretically complete the subjects that would count as two majors, but you will only be accredited for one. That being said, taking subjects required for a theoretical additional major would be kinda silly as major subjects (specific in depth subjects taken in your final year) are generally harder and more intense.

It is true that if you minor in something it does not show up on your transcript. Its weird, I don't know why and it sucks. But as someone trying to complete a minor, you bet I will be flaunting that shit in my CV like crazy anyway!! An alternative are the concurrent diplomas, which can require an additional year of study. They are like minors or mini double majors and are offered in Music, Informatics, Languages and Mathematical sciences.

So basically, it will depend on your degree, intended major(s) - not all majors are compatible with another!!
VCE // ATAR 98.35
2015: Bio [40]
2016: Studio Art [48], Psych [47], English [44], Viscom [43], Further [37]
2017-?: Bachelor of Design @UniMelb (Architecture Major)

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 04:07:52 pm »
+4
In contrast, in the Bachelor of Science you could theoretically complete the subjects that would count as two majors, but you will only be accredited for one. That being said, taking subjects required for a theoretical additional major would be kinda silly as major subjects (specific in depth subjects taken in your final year) are generally harder and more intense.

All 3rd year Science subjects at Melbourne (not sure about other degree) are part of a major, not I'm not too sure what you are trying to say in "taking subjects required for a theoretical additional major would be kinda silly as major subjects (specific in depth subjects taken in your final year) are generally harder and more intense". You have a choice in not wanting to do an equivalent double major, but given that a single major in science requires four 3rd year subjects, your other two 3rd years have to come from other majors.

As said though, for Science and Biomed you can only get one major officially declared (for Biomed you can't complete 3rd year subjects in other majors apart from your major because of the core subjects). For Arts and Commerce, you can officially double major. In Arts, you can also minor and get them recognised.

I wouldn't worry too much about this stuff, because most graduate courses and employers will see your subject transcript anyway. Although for Arts it would be pretty important because to major in any field, you have to complete special 3rd year capstone subject relevant to that field which is only available to those students (eg. political science capstone subject that is only available to political science majors), so that distinguishes you from people that minored or completed subjects but didn't major in the field.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

izzydes

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 06:09:58 pm »
+1
All 3rd year Science subjects at Melbourne (not sure about other degree) are part of a major, not I'm not too sure what you are trying to say in "taking subjects required for a theoretical additional major would be kinda silly as major subjects (specific in depth subjects taken in your final year) are generally harder and more intense". You have a choice in not wanting to do an equivalent double major, but given that a single major in science requires four 3rd year subjects, your other two 3rd years have to come from other majors.

Oops sorry you're right what I've written isn't totally true!
I was thinking about someone trying to complete another set of major subjects within their elective/breadth subjects in year 3. Sorry for the confusion!
VCE // ATAR 98.35
2015: Bio [40]
2016: Studio Art [48], Psych [47], English [44], Viscom [43], Further [37]
2017-?: Bachelor of Design @UniMelb (Architecture Major)

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 11:41:01 am »
how may majors can i do in bachelor of science
i wanna do human function and biochemistry
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

sweetcheeks

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +83
  • School: ---
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 12:02:06 pm »

At UoM you can only do one major. I also wouldn't worry about majors at this stage, you still have 2 years before university.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 12:22:32 pm »
+1

Just as an aside, please don't bump old threads. Particularly when the question you've asked is answered only two posts above yours.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd