Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:59:42 am

Author Topic: 47 raw in Biology in year 11- TOP 5 TIPS  (Read 1021 times)  Share 

Elsa//768

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +16
47 raw in Biology in year 11- TOP 5 TIPS
« on: November 17, 2019, 07:34:31 pm »
+10
Hi everyone, my name is Elsa :)
I completed Biology Unit 3/4 and Revolutions in 2018 as a year 11 student. With a raw score of 47 in Biology, I just want to share my top 5 tips on how to do well in Biology and I hope that those tips are helpful :)
Annnnnd let's get started!

1. Find your motivation
Yes, instead of advising you to work hard, stay organised, blah blah blah, finding your motivation is my number 1 and most important tip. This is because Biology is quite a content heavy subject, and trust me, it will be really difficult to do well in it if you are not motivated. Therefore, ask yourself why you are studying Biology Unit3/4 instead of studying any other subjects. Is it a prerequisite for a Uni course that you really wish to get into? Is it genuinely a subject you enjoy? For me, Biology was a prerequisite, but it was also a subject that I am passionate about because it depended my understanding of the world around me and even myself in a scientific way! Hence, even though it was content heavy and at times challenging, I still enjoyed it and the workload did not seem as daunting.

2. Understand, not memorise
'God, Biology, so much memorisation to do!!'
'Biology is alll about memorisation'
If you ever feel that you are dreading Biology because there are heaps of memorisation and rote-learning, think again!! Yes, you need to remember key vocabulary and some key points for Biology, but Biology is never about memorising things word-by-word. When I studied Biology, I never passively memorised anything. Instead, I tried to understand. For key knowledge points, instead of repeating them over and over to try to remember them, I tried to process the information in a more elaborative way and understand the why and how behind it. This can be particularly useful when dealing with questions on SACs and exams that are about applying your knowledge to scenarios that you have never seen before!!

3. Varying methods of study
Got a set of study notes for Biology? Perfect! Now, instead of just reading your notes over and over again, think about other ways in which you can study Biology. Create mind maps and flashcards! Take fun online quizzes about Biology! Have a chat with your best Biology buddy about the new chapter you had just learnt! Having a variety of study methods is extremely beneficial.

4. Be a Biology teacher
Linking onto my tip number 3, one of the best methods of studying Biology is actually teaching it!! Whether it is teaching Biology concepts to your friends, family, pets or stuffed toys, being able to verbally teach the knowledge in a simplistic way means that you really have understand it, and it is a good way to force you to explain any difficult topics to others to check your own understanding.

5. Resources
Your best and most valuable resource comes from your Biology teacher. Luckily for me, I had a super amazing Biology teacher (a huge thank you to Ms Miller!!) who was always willing to help me clear up any misconceptions and answer any questions I have (including when I kinda spammed her email), and I wouldn't be able to achieve a 47 without her. Therefore, if you have any Biology questions, do not hesitate to ask your Biology teacher who is there to support you. In addition, there are various external resources available for Biology study. The ones that I personally recommend include Edrolo, KhanAcademy, Crash Course, and sometimes just Biology-related videos on YouTube. They can help you to process information taught in class from a different perspective and it is always good to be exposed to Biology information for multiple times. Also, I used my textbook to create study notes, and throughout the year I finished Checkpoint questions before each SAC to consolidate my knowledge. Remember to use the resources from AN as well!!

And that was my top 5 tips for VCE Biology  :) You can post any question you have in this thread and I will make sure that I answer them!
Also, I am currently selling my electronic Biology study notes for $20 as well as other study resources-- you can check them out here: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=188907.msg1144716#msg1144716

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BIOLOGY STUDY AND REMEMBER TO HAVE FUN!!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 07:36:16 pm by Elsa//768 »
2018: Revolutions (46); Biology (47)
2019: EAL (46); Methods (47 ); Psychology (49 ); Legal Studies ( 39)
ATAR: 99.65
Possibly offering tutoring for 2020!
After all, tomorrow is another day.