Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:39:07 pm

Author Topic: Managing post-exam sadness  (Read 1731 times)

lopmt

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Managing post-exam sadness
« on: October 31, 2018, 01:50:53 pm »
+1
Hi everyone :-[

Good luck to those who are still doing their HSC. I finished mine today and I wanted to ask for some help dealing with my post-exam sadness.

I have a huge passion for ancient history. It was my favourite subject all year, my teacher was amazing.. I really wanted to do well for the final exam. I put 110% effort in and ranked first internally with a 99 for my trials so I really invested my time into studying for the HSC exam with the aim of state ranking. I prioritised it so much that messing up my other exams was not a concern as doing well for ancient would have made up for it in the end.

Long story short, my exam didn't go that well. Maybe it was the pressure, but I trashed my multiple choice for Cities of Vesuvius (3/5 gone!), they were the silliest mistakes ever. I struggled with my Ancient Society short answers and I don't feel confident with any of the essays I wrote. These may seem trivial, but I know I'm not going to get the state rank I wanted, and considering the effort I had put in all year just for this one moment, I'm very upset this is how it ended. I loved the course so much. 

I had to ignore my sadness until my HSC was done. I know there's nothing I can do now and we will never know how everything turns out to be until results are out, but any tips on managing my current state?

2018 HSC: English Advanced, Visual Arts, Ancient History, Mathematics, IPT

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: Managing post-exam sadness
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 02:28:38 pm »
+5
Hi everyone :-[

Good luck to those who are still doing their HSC. I finished mine today and I wanted to ask for some help dealing with my post-exam sadness.

I have a huge passion for ancient history. It was my favourite subject all year, my teacher was amazing.. I really wanted to do well for the final exam. I put 110% effort in and ranked first internally with a 99 for my trials so I really invested my time into studying for the HSC exam with the aim of state ranking. I prioritised it so much that messing up my other exams was not a concern as doing well for ancient would have made up for it in the end.

Long story short, my exam didn't go that well. Maybe it was the pressure, but I trashed my multiple choice for Cities of Vesuvius (3/5 gone!), they were the silliest mistakes ever. I struggled with my Ancient Society short answers and I don't feel confident with any of the essays I wrote. These may seem trivial, but I know I'm not going to get the state rank I wanted, and considering the effort I had put in all year just for this one moment, I'm very upset this is how it ended. I loved the course so much. 

I had to ignore my sadness until my HSC was done. I know there's nothing I can do now and we will never know how everything turns out to be until results are out, but any tips on managing my current state?

Hey! Welcome to the forums!
I think the most important thing now is push it from your mind. As you said, there's nothing you can do it to change it now. It's all finished!!
The best thing for you to do now is to look foward. Find other things to do with your time now. Occupy yourself with your hobbies, catching up with old friends, sleeping and chilling out and learning new skills. There's absolutely no reason to dwell on it anymore. At the end of the day, you did the very best on the day given the questions and how you felt. So be proud of that. Also remember that even though you think the exam didn't go well, it may just be your feelings on it. You probably still dead quite well!
Everything's gonna be okay!!

Hope this helps, and congratulations for finishing well and truely!  ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

leotlion

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 04:27:29 pm »
Oh my goodness, your words hit so close to home because that's exactly how I was feeling after I came out of my Modern History HSC exam! I had gotten a 98/100 in my Trials and was ranked internally 1st but then I screwed up the HSC exam! The multiple choice this year for Modern was so much harder than the ones I did in past HSC papers! I overthought my answers and I ended up changing my previously correct ones to wrong ones :'( It's really sad because WWI was my favourite topic out of the 4 but I didn't manage to do it justice in the multiple choice/short answer section...
And I think I screwed up everything else as well because some of the questions weren't ideal :(

So I can empathise with you on a great level! Let's just hope that it all turns out well...
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced) | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Biology | Business Studies | Modern History

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 04:35:46 pm »
+2
Oh my goodness, your words hit so close to home because that's exactly how I was feeling after I came out of my Modern History HSC exam! I had gotten a 98/100 in my Trials and was ranked internally 1st but then I screwed up the HSC exam! The multiple choice this year for Modern was so much harder than the ones I did in past HSC papers! I overthought my answers and I ended up changing my previously correct ones to wrong ones :'( It's really sad because WWI was my favourite topic out of the 4 but I didn't manage to do it justice in the multiple choice/short answer section...
And I think I screwed up everything else as well because some of the questions weren't ideal :(

So I can empathise with you on a great level! Let's just hope that it all turns out well...
Yes! It'll all be okay in the end! Don't worry about it too much. Marks like that will put you in a nice position to recieve a sold assessment mark!

I overthought my answers and I ended up changing my previously correct ones to wrong ones :'( I
How do you know they were correct? You could've had the wrong ones and ended up changing them to the correct ones. Don't sweat it!

It'll be all good
Just gotta have faith!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

leotlion

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 06:23:32 pm »
+1
Marks like that will put you in a nice position to recieve a sold assessment mark!
Thank goodness for assessment marks!! I'm really glad we have them and that the HSC exam isn't worth 100% because it's the only that's saving me right now!

How do you know they were correct?

Because my class and the HSC Facebook Discussion group all seemed to pick the right answer :'(
For example the question about the group of men sitting around together during Christmas. I picked camaraderie initially but then I overthought the fact that it was Christmas yet they were still eating the same, boring food in the same conditions with nothing different or special even thought it was Christmas so I changed my answer to monotony :( But apparently that's wrong and it's like a stab to my heart every time I see someone in the Facebook discussion group make fun of my wrong answer with their "mOnOtoNY" comments....

It'll be all good
Just gotta have faith!

Yes, fingers crossed! I still have 1 more exam left and I shouldn't let my previous exams affect me for my last exam!! :D
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced) | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Biology | Business Studies | Modern History

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 10:30:36 am »
+4
Ok I can completely relate to you with ancient and also with the person above who spoke of modern. I got band 6s in my trials for both and hoped more than anything that my efforts for the last 2 years would pay off in these final exams. But, the questions were hard and so was the multiple choice (for both unfortunately, I got completely screwed over by both multiple choice sections...it's the worst feeling making silly mistakes). I guess what makes me feel better is knowing that I wasn't the only one who put in my all, with the potential for a high band 6, but that it didn't turn out as planned. It reallyyyy sucks and it makes me loathe exams, because I know I have an extensive knowledge of both histories, but it just comes down to that day and that moment. I guess that's why they take into account our internal marks!  ;)

2018 HSC