Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:42:21 am

Author Topic: Nursing/Midwifery  (Read 1445 times)  Share 

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
Nursing/Midwifery
« on: July 03, 2017, 05:52:15 pm »
I kinda have to start putting in my preferences for uni, and I really want to get into nursing and midwifery (when I say really, I mean ALL my preferences are probably gonna read 'nursing/midwifery' because I legitimately am not interested in anything else). SOOOOOO, which uni would you guys think this would be the best for? Also has anyone on AN ever studied this or know anything about it (like what to expect for example)

Mod Edit: Moved to General Universities. You're welcome :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 05:57:58 pm by Aaron »

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: Nursing/Midwifery
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 06:05:50 pm »
+1
I kinda have to start putting in my preferences for uni, and I really want to get into nursing and midwifery (when I say really, I mean ALL my preferences are probably gonna read 'nursing/midwifery' because I legitimately am not interested in anything else). SOOOOOO, which uni would you guys think this would be the best for? Also has anyone on AN ever studied this or know anything about it (like what to expect for example)

Mod Edit: Moved to General Universities. You're welcome :)

I'm really not versed enough on the subject to comment on which university is BEST for this, so I'm afraid I can't help there. Are you planning to leave home for uni? If not, location will be a big factor :)

As for what to expect, I can relay a few things I've been told from friends studying Nursing.

-The cohort will drop by about half every year
-A lot of the cohort have difficulty understanding but feel better once they hit clinicals
-Despite the perception that some people have that it's an 'easy subject', the hours involved are very high
-Getting spit on during clinicals isn't too uncommon
-The chemistry knowledge required is minimal
-For a lot of subjects, they're only taught a very surface level of 'why' something happens, which can be frustrating

I'm accidentally giving it a bit of a negative spin here, but they all insist it's a great course, and they'd recommend studying it if they were typing this right now, I assure you :)
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢