Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:47:28 am

Author Topic: Religion and Belief Systems in Australia post-1945  (Read 22200 times)  Share 

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: Religion and Belief Systems in Australia post-1945
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 03:20:29 pm »
They probably could, but it definately wouldn't need to be this long. This was a 10 marker for an assessment task, the ones in the exam will be a 5 marker.
Could they actually give us a question like this........ :-[
sudodds is correct, the 2015 HSC 5 mark question for this section was very similar to this  :)

I might be doubling up on what people have already said but did you know that "continuing effects of dispossession" is BOSTES favourite topic to ask questions about? Look through all the past papers, it is mentioned in there much more than anything else (with a different stimulus or no stimulus though)

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 05:18:15 pm »
+1
How many Australians recorded ‘Christian’ on the census in 1947? How many in 2011?
1947 → 88%         2011 → 61.1%

In 2006, how many people in Australia declared ‘no religion’ or ‘not stated’ in 1947? In 2011?
1947 →    0.03% (no religion)      11.1% (not stated)
2011 →    22.3% (no religion) 

What was the dominant faith tradition in 2011?
In 2011, Christianity was the dominant religious traditions with 61.1% of the Australian population. However, this was a decrease from 2001 → 68.0%     2006  → 63.9%

What is immigration? What were the main religions that came to Australia since 1945 and in what time periods? What were the main reasons for immigration?
In 1945, Australia had one culture (British), spoke English, and was predominantly a Christian country. Census statics show that in 1946, Christianity as a whole held 88% of the total population. Non-Christian religions had about 0.5% and those who sated ‘no-religion’ or ‘not-stated’ had a total of 11.4%. Due to immigration from Europe, after World War 2, over 17 Christian denominations now resided in Australia. Maronites and Coptic Christinas joined Orthodox Christians from Greece, Russia, Armenia, and Macedonia. The statics show that in 1947, Buddhism 0.01%, Hinduism 0.01%, Islam 0.04%, and Judaism 0.04% of the Australia census figures. In 2006, the main world religious traditions increased with Buddhism, 2.1%, Hinduism 0.7%, Islam 1.7% and Judaism 0.4%. The trend is that all of the main world religious traditions in Australia are increasing.

What does ‘Ecumenical mean? What aims do ecumenical organisations have in Australia?
Ecumenical means promoting or relating to unity among the world's Christian Churches, the aim for acts of peace, faith and unity, and social justice. 

If anyone wants to know about SECULARISM:

Secularism
Religion is seen as separate from society
Religious ‘values’ declining or the links with traditional faiths
Replaced by materialism, skepticism and individualism
Disillusionment with traditional religions.
Increase in ‘no religion’/ ‘not stated’ on census figures.
Individual fulfillment
Perfection or higher states of consciousness
Mystical experiences
The opportunity for a person to possess a unique power
Transformation and renewal
Secularism is the belief that religion should not interfere with or be integrated into the public affairs of society
Philosophically secularism refers to the belief that human ethics and the universe should be understood without reference to religion or the supernatural
Politically secularism refers to the belief that religion should not interfere with the political running of the state
Secularism promotes the idea that society would be better off by not controlled by religion
Diminishing relevance of religious values for the integration and legitimation of everyday life in society
Reasons for secularisation include:
Increasing pluralism (diversity of beliefs and cultures)
Increasing individualism
Increasing materialism
Increasing disillusionment with traditional religions
Increasing scepticism towards the supernatural

Definition
The belief that religion should not interfere with or be integrated into the public affairs of a society. Philosophically secularism refers to the belied that man ethic and the universe should be understood without reference to religion or the supernatural. Politically secularism refers to the belief that religion or the supernatural should not interfere with the political running of the state. Thus, secularism promotes the idea that society would be better off by not being controlled by religion. 

Reasons for Secularism

Secularisation is the process of a society becoming more secular, i.e. less religious, secularisation can be seen in the diminishing relevance of religious values for the integration and legitimation of everyday life in society. The declines in religious affiliation, church attendance, prayer and religious orders are all sign of secularisation. Reasons for secularisation include: increasing pluralism (diversity of beliefs and cultures) in Australia means that no single religious belief system in dominant; increasing individualism means that people do not look to traditional communities for meaning their lives; increasing materialism means that spirituality is often ignored in favour of possessions, power, looks and fame; increasing disillusionment with traditional religions for hypocrisy, abuse of power and or irrelevance means that religions have last moral authority and respect; and increasing skepticism towards the supernatural due to scientific progress that means act there are more atheists and agnostics in society. Secularisation of society indicates that more and more people are comfortable to live their lives without reference to religion or god.

Denominational Switching
Transfers of followers from one Christian denomination or variant to another
Usually found in Protestantism and sometimes in other variants
People seek to address spiritual needs and if not met, go elsewhere
Revolving door syndrome-moving from one to other Pentecostalism evangelical, charismatic form of Christianity-emphasis on gifts of the spirit and music.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 05:41:55 pm by jamonwindeyer »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 08:21:41 pm »
How many Australians recorded ‘Christian’ on the census in 1947? How many in 2011?
1947 → 88%         2011 → 61.1%

Thanks for sharing your notes Georgia! I'm sure there will be students scrolling the forums who will find this very beneficial!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 12:59:27 pm »
+1
We aren't asked to look at data outside the census, but this article presents something interesting just as some extra info!

"More than 40 per cent of the 795,000 students in NSW's public schools do not list any religion on their enrolment form, according to new data that comes as parents and teachers push for an overhaul of the strict rules that leave students with "dead time" if they do not attend scripture.
 Christianity remains the main religion listed (about 45 per cent), especially on Sydney's north shore, while some schools in Sydney's west have as many as 90 per cent of students who identify with Islam.

At Banksia Road Public School, 91 per cent of students listed Islam on their enrolment form while at Bellevue Hill Public, 71 per cent students listed Judaism and at Cabramatta High, 35 per cent nominated Buddhism.

The least religious schools in Sydney include Australia Street Infants in Newtown (90 per cent nominated no religion), Yeo Park Infants in Ashfield (87 per cent) and Girraween Public School (79 per cent).

Students who do not go to scripture or ethics classes, which were introduced in 2011 as an alternative to religion classes, are not allowed to do any educational activities while SRE is being offered, prompting concerns from teachers and parents that crucial learning time is being wasted."

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 04:30:40 pm »
If I could PLEASE have some feedback or mark out of 5 (even very brief would be extremely appreciated) for these Q11 responses, I'd be very greatfull!!

Sorry about the handwriting, I completed them in exam/timed conditions.
Thanks!!!

angelahchan

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 07:05:22 pm »
+2
If I could PLEASE have some feedback or mark out of 5 (even very brief would be extremely appreciated) for these Q11 responses, I'd be very greatfull!!

Sorry about the handwriting, I completed them in exam/timed conditions.
Thanks!!!

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

I'm definitely not qualified to give feedback, but the first response can probably get a 5/5 (I have no clue, just the mark I think my teacher would probably give)

For the first one you could talk about the progression more but idk if that's what the question wants, e.g. you could explain more about Native Title in terms of why it wasn't adequate(e.g. mining companies and pastoralists occupied 40% of crown land in Australia) thus Wik as an improvement, and why the  consequences of Wik are important e.g. more Aboriginal People are able to practice on sacred sites thus take care of the land which they have an inextricable connection to.

For your second response, you probably ran out of time, but I don't think it's best to end on a quote. I think the contribution of Judaism towards giving support needs more elaboration, e.g. include what they did and expand on how what they did was similar to what Christian churches.  Maybe you can link the part about Christianity being responsible for disposession more explicitly to  how the actions of Christian churches try to make up for  that (e.g. offering formal apologies regarding role of missionaries following HREOC report)

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 08:39:14 pm »

I'm definitely not qualified to give feedback, but the first response can probably get a 5/5 (I have no clue, just the mark I think my teacher would probably give)

For the first one you could talk about the progression more but idk if that's what the question wants, e.g. you could explain more about Native Title in terms of why it wasn't adequate(e.g. mining companies and pastoralists occupied 40% of crown land in Australia) thus Wik as an improvement, and why the  consequences of Wik are important e.g. more Aboriginal People are able to practice on sacred sites thus take care of the land which they have an inextricable connection to.

For your second response, you probably ran out of time, but I don't think it's best to end on a quote. I think the contribution of Judaism towards giving support needs more elaboration, e.g. include what they did and expand on how what they did was similar to what Christian churches.  Maybe you can link the part about Christianity being responsible for disposession more explicitly to  how the actions of Christian churches try to make up for  that (e.g. offering formal apologies regarding role of missionaries following HREOC report)

Thank you so much for this! I'll definitely take it on  :)

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 03:04:40 pm »
Hi All,

Ive been doing a bit of HSC Past paper research to try and make a prediction regarding this years REL in Aus post 45 5 marker.

From what i have seen, im predicting that it will be " Account for the present relgious landscape"

Does anyone else have any other predictions ?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 04:27:18 pm »
+1
Hi All,

Ive been doing a bit of HSC Past paper research to try and make a prediction regarding this years REL in Aus post 45 5 marker.

From what i have seen, im predicting that it will be " Account for the present relgious landscape"

Does anyone else have any other predictions ?

Based on the fact that as of 2016, "no religion" made quite the debut as being a greater percentage of the population than Christianity, something regarding the landscape that allows you to focus on that wouldn't surprise me. In saying this of course you can never be certain, but I think there's a lot to talk about so I'd be very happy with this kind of question!