Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:09:42 am

Author Topic: JIT, LIFO, FIFO (inventory management-operations strategy) -help  (Read 5547 times)  Share 

Mandynguyennmm

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Hi,

can i please have help for the 2015 HSC business studies Q8 multiple choice.???
Question:
Which of the following is the best method for managing the stock of fresh milk in a supermarket??
a) JIT
b) first-in-last out
c) LIFO
d) FIFO

i am not sure why the answer is FIFO and not JIT, because it is asking for the "best method for managing stock", and i thought FIFO is more inventory valuation (doing more with the dollar value) and JIT is doing with how goods are stocked????

Thanks

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
Re: JIT, LIFO, FIFO (inventory management-operations strategy) -help
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 11:07:52 pm »
+2
Hi,

can i please have help for the 2015 HSC business studies Q8 multiple choice.???
Question:
Which of the following is the best method for managing the stock of fresh milk in a supermarket??
a) JIT
b) first-in-last out
c) LIFO
d) FIFO

i am not sure why the answer is FIFO and not JIT, because it is asking for the "best method for managing stock", and i thought FIFO is more inventory valuation (doing more with the dollar value) and JIT is doing with how goods are stocked????

Thanks

Hey!

FIFO and LIFO are both inventory management and valuation strategies. So FIFO, meaning first in first out, is usually for perishable goods so in this case the milk. When in the supermarket, they try to organise the perishable goods by expiry dates. This means they would have milk that expires on the 21st of July in front of milk that expires on the 28th of July. This is to ensure that the stock that is going to expire earlier is sold first so the stock doesn't actually go to waste because its expired. The wastage of the stock then acts as a loss to the business, as they lost the sales that could have been potentially made from a customer purchasing the milk.

So therefore the answer is D, FIFO.

Hope that didn't sound too confusing!!
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

Mandynguyennmm

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 06:56:02 am »
oh i see, thank you.
But what would JIT be used for/an example of it being used??? can it not be used for perishable goods ??

thanks!!

Mandynguyennmm

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 07:11:53 am »
Also would LIFO mainly be used for goods that appreciate overtime e.g. for wine???

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 01:51:32 pm »
oh i see, thank you.
But what would JIT be used for/an example of it being used??? can it not be used for perishable goods ??

thanks!!
An example of JIT (Just in Time) is Apple
Once products are ordered online, they are shipped directly from China. This reduces lead times, demands are met quickly, avoids damaging aand/or warehousing costs and it minimises the chance of stock in inventory becoming obselete (where it becomes a liability to the business).

i don't think Jit could be used for perishable goods, as perishable goods by nature have to be stored with certain characteristics (e.g stored below 15 celcius). They have to be stored SOMEWHERE. If the business sells perishable goods then they would need to own the warehouse where the goods were intially stored, hence removing the benefits of JIT. I'm not 100% sure if thats true, but thats just how i reckon it works.
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 05:17:06 pm »
Also would LIFO mainly be used for goods that appreciate overtime e.g. for wine???

LIFO is used for some things that get better over time. Like some cheeses or wines taste better as they age over a long period of time, therefore you would use LIFO to sell goods like that rather than sell them right now
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW