Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:48:50 pm

Author Topic: Is there any point of doing a VET?  (Read 7399 times)  Share 

Wota

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Is there any point of doing a VET?
« on: December 16, 2016, 01:40:22 am »
So I've signed up to do a VET next year, but now I'm not quite sure if I want to do it anymore as I realised that the scaling is really bad, like a 40 raw will scale down to low 30s. Do you think it's wiser to choose another subject in place of the VET? If so, what subject/s?

Thanks (this question is probably not gonna get answered because the VET section is basically dead) :D

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Is there any point of doing a VET?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 02:05:01 am »
+2
VET subjects are essentially vocational subjects which contribute to you attaining a Certificate (e.g. Cert II/III in a given discipline). It's basically an 'applied' version of a VCE subject.

What are you interested in pursuing at university? This might help you decide whether VET is for you or not.

If you're solely focused on something academic (meaning a discipline that is not considered 'hands on'), then VET probably isn't the best choice.

HOWEVER, If you are interested in pursuing a discipline that is listed and you have a genuine interest in that area (and are more concerned about developing practical skills as opposed to achieving the highest study score), then VET would definitely be a good option.

Some further info: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Pages/vet/general/recognition/vcerecognition.aspx#link55

Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:11:51 am by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Wota

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 02:16:16 am »
So if I would like to achieve a high study score and the course that I want to get into is business/commerce, should I try another subject?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 02:24:19 am »
So if I would like to achieve a high study score and the course that I want to get into is business/commerce, should I try another subject?

You need to remember that VET is for trades and 'hands on' disciplines such as IT and Business. Students usually choose VET because they want something different and are keen to learn practical skills in that discipline, as opposed to learning just academic content. If you planned on opening your own business (for example), VET Business would probably be a good idea. The focus is on practical skills rather than academic knowledge.

VET - Vocational (hands-on, doing) Education and Training.

It's really up to you - I would encourage you to pursue the VET if you are seriously interested in it. The fact is, you are more likely to do well in subjects that you have an interest in, rather than pick and choose based on scaling.

Have you had a chat to your career counsellor at school about this? I think you need to do a bit more research into VET before making a decision to pursue it or not.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:29:54 am by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Mellyboo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 08:19:18 am »
I absolutely loved my VET!!! No regrets
2016 ATAR: 98.40
Successful ASPIRE applicant
Chem [44] Bio [41] HHD [41] Further [43] EAL [46] MUEP Chem [4.5] Lab skills [42]
2017-2021: Bachelor of Health Sciences in Dentistry/Master of Dentistry @ La Trobe Bendigo

Wota

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 01:23:28 pm »
Thx guys :)