Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:09:26 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231770 times)

violet123

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4470 on: August 04, 2019, 03:49:39 pm »
Trials are coming up very soon, in 2 days
How should I prepare for Mod C The Craft of Writing because I believe I am nowhere near adequately prepared for it.

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4471 on: August 04, 2019, 05:44:44 pm »
+2
Trials are coming up very soon, in 2 days
How should I prepare for Mod C The Craft of Writing because I believe I am nowhere near adequately prepared for it.

Hey!

Someone asked a similar question recently and this is what I answered:

From what we have been told, you should know specific textual features of each of your prescribed texts, and be able to write about these, or incorporate something similar into your writing.

For example, if your short story includes a lot of visual imagery and you are asked to write an imaginative text drawing inspiration from your module C text, then you could write a short story about a similar theme to that of your short story, and incorporate lots of visual imagery.

You won't be asked to analyse your mod C texts, however you could be asked to justify your creative choices in your writing. Due to this, it would be important for you to know what your text is about, and textual features it incorporates.
That way if you got asked to include a reflection, you could say something like, "I decided to write about the topic of war and includes lots of visual imagery because in this text the author focuses on the subject of the impact of war and uses visual imagery to explain the author's specific perspective.

By being able to justify your creative choices, it demonstrates your knowledge of your mod C texts.

Because there are only a couple of days before your trials, I would recommend learning the major themes / messages / ideas in your prescribed mod C texts, and some textual features that support this, and that you feel comfortable including in your own writing, and potentially justifying if you are asked to write a reflection.

Best of luck to you and everyone else with trials this week!!
 :D

Carolineee

• Adventurer
« Reply #4472 on: August 04, 2019, 08:34:34 pm »
Hey, Guys, I have Trials tomorrow and I was revising some prac questions and I was wondering what are some human qualities that makes us complex or the complexity of human nature (common module) and what makes a text and characters endure (Mod B)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4473 on: August 04, 2019, 10:24:04 pm »
Hey, Guys, I have Trials tomorrow and I was revising some prac questions and I was wondering what are some human qualities that makes us complex or the complexity of human nature (common module) and what makes a text and characters endure (Mod B)

Hey, Carolineee!

How I explain complexity is to think of how our qualities and emotions are actually quite difficult to grasp. They aren't linear, they can't be pigeonholed and they require you to really explore various facets to deeply engage in them. Something like empowerment doesn't just happen; it emerges usually from situations that render an individual powerless and eventually becomes a source of strength and conviction for them. When responding to questions that ask about complexity, always recognise that those human qualities are rich in value and possess multiple aspects to them.

As for Module B, that's a question you have to answer yourself! Think about what aspects of the text would have resonated with immediate audiences, you as a representative of the contemporary reader and whether you believe the text, as a result, has the capacity to stand the test of time. This endurance in value lies in an amazing amalgamation of the text's values and language forms and features. The fact that your elected text has successfully represented significant ideas with a variety of literary devices guarantees it has lasting relevance.

Hope that makes sense and good luck for your English Trials tomorrow!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Carolineee

• Adventurer
« Reply #4474 on: August 04, 2019, 11:26:18 pm »
Hey, Carolineee!

How I explain complexity is to think of how our qualities and emotions are actually quite difficult to grasp. They aren't linear, they can't be pigeonholed and they require you to really explore various facets to deeply engage in them. Something like empowerment doesn't just happen; it emerges usually from situations that render an individual powerless and eventually becomes a source of strength and conviction for them. When responding to questions that ask about complexity, always recognise that those human qualities are rich in value and possess multiple aspects to them.

As for Module B, that's a question you have to answer yourself! Think about what aspects of the text would have resonated with immediate audiences, you as a representative of the contemporary reader and whether you believe the text, as a result, has the capacity to stand the test of time. This endurance in value lies in an amazing amalgamation of the text's values and language forms and features. The fact that your elected text has successfully represented significant ideas with a variety of literary devices guarantees it has lasting relevance.

Hope that makes sense and good luck for your English Trials tomorrow!

Angelina  ;D

Thank you so much! My mod B is in reference to Great Expectations so an example that could be used is relatability and complexity but I am struggling to think of other factors. If that makes sense?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4475 on: August 05, 2019, 12:05:36 pm »
+2

Thank you so much! My mod B is in reference to Great Expectations so an example that could be used is relatability and complexity but I am struggling to think of other factors. If that makes sense?

Hey, again!

Hope this isn't too late for Paper 2 tomorrow! I would also look at the text's universality which ties in nicely with relatability. More specifically, I'd look at how a text encompasses the experiences and lives of individuals of whom, although may be contextually distant from us, invites us to involve ourselves in commonalities. All these factors contribute to a text's enduring value and timelessness  :) Then for Great Expectations, I'd expand on values related to identity (gender, class etc.), reality and growth/development. Let me know if that makes sense!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

Carolineee

• Adventurer
« Reply #4476 on: August 05, 2019, 01:44:04 pm »
+1
Hey, again!

Hope this isn't too late for Paper 2 tomorrow! I would also look at the text's universality which ties in nicely with relatability. More specifically, I'd look at how a text encompasses the experiences and lives of individuals of whom, although may be contextually distant from us, invites us to involve ourselves in commonalities. All these factors contribute to a text's enduring value and timelessness  :) Then for Great Expectations, I'd expand on values related to identity (gender, class etc.), reality and growth/development. Let me know if that makes sense!

Angelina  ;D

Yeah that's so helpful. Thank you again!

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4477 on: August 05, 2019, 06:30:12 pm »
Hi Angelina! Just wondering in the sample paper for English paper 2 (mod c) there was a question and it said integrate a stylistic feature into our prescribed text.

If I were to do a discursive how would you integrate a stylisitc feature into something like that. e.g. a motif or imagery

thankyou!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4478 on: August 05, 2019, 09:35:45 pm »
+1
Hi Angelina! Just wondering in the sample paper for English paper 2 (mod c) there was a question and it said integrate a stylistic feature into our prescribed text.

If I were to do a discursive how would you integrate a stylisitc feature into something like that. e.g. a motif or imagery

thankyou!

Hey, dani01!

Fantastic question  ;D Stylistic features can be utilised in discursive, persuasive and informative writing as much as creative! I would transform those features into a context in which they can enhance your content and perspective/s as shown below with my annotations  :)

Act, Don't React
You. You hear on the radio that another earthquake has struck in Nepal. You see on the evening news that there has been a mass shooting at a nightclub in Orlando. You read the papers to learn that more rape cases, more kidnappings, more assaults are about. You sit back and you let out an "aw, how unfortunate" or a "that's horrible", only to then go back to your morning coffee, scrolling past the article, changing the channel, turning the page. (Anaphora of “you” implies a conversation with the audience) The page I want to turn is a page in history.
Awareness is intended to provoke a call to action. Simply reblogging an article will not solve the ongoing debates about taxation. Clicking 'like' for a protest march without actually being there is like standing on the sidelines instead of dirtying yourself in a mud run. (I've used a simile here to enhance my perspective on human activism) I propose that we must be more involved in the humanitarian work that is happening in the world rather than simply share our thoughts on it. You may think being aware makes you a part of change, but it is only a reaction. There is a reason why we call them “movements”; it is so that we are moving forward with, and through, them. (Inclusive language with “we”, along with the pun for "movements", further invites the audience into the intended message of the discursive)

As you can see, literary devices like these can be implemented to generate meaning and responses from your reader  :D Hope that helps and all the best for your Trials!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

jelena_nina2001

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4479 on: August 06, 2019, 06:26:46 pm »
hey all,

just wondring how i would go about momorising key quotes for each of t.s. eliot's 5 poems for trials tomorrow.

Good luck to all

Jelena

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4480 on: August 06, 2019, 07:11:48 pm »
+1
hey all,

just wondring how i would go about momorising key quotes for each of t.s. eliot's 5 poems for trials tomorrow.

Good luck to all

Jelena
Hey there,

When I studied Yeats' poetry, I'd often organise the three main quotes (per poem) I know really well, i.e. I always used them in practice essays. This makes it easier to cram, rather than looking at slabs of writing. I also put together a playlist of people reading the poems and listen to them on loop, not to memorise the whole poem, but to get used to the syntax of the poem because if you forget quotes, one of the most obvious signs that you forgot those quotes is that the syntax doesn't match the overall tone of the poem (trust me, I've had teachers call me out on this!). Leading up to the exam, like 1 hour before, I'd focus on reading or writing them over and over again.

During Trials, because I didn't dedicate enough time to memorise the quotes, I cut it down to 1-2 quotes per poem so I have at least a some form of evidence in my essay, rather than trying to memorise a bunch of quotes, getting overwhelmed and forgetting them all in the exam.

Hope this helps and good luck!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

jelena_nina2001

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4481 on: August 06, 2019, 08:19:38 pm »
+1
Hey there,

When I studied Yeats' poetry, I'd often organise the three main quotes (per poem) I know really well, i.e. I always used them in practice essays. This makes it easier to cram, rather than looking at slabs of writing. I also put together a playlist of people reading the poems and listen to them on loop, not to memorise the whole poem, but to get used to the syntax of the poem because if you forget quotes, one of the most obvious signs that you forgot those quotes is that the syntax doesn't match the overall tone of the poem (trust me, I've had teachers call me out on this!). Leading up to the exam, like 1 hour before, I'd focus on reading or writing them over and over again.

During Trials, because I didn't dedicate enough time to memorise the quotes, I cut it down to 1-2 quotes per poem so I have at least a some form of evidence in my essay, rather than trying to memorise a bunch of quotes, getting overwhelmed and forgetting them all in the exam.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks so much, very helpful  :) :) :)

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4482 on: August 10, 2019, 10:27:52 pm »
Hello!

I just a quick question, how exactly do I prepare for unseen questions for Module A and B in an exam? Should I:
  • Memorise a bunch of quotes?
  • Figure out questions from the syllabus and try to memorise as many as I can?
  • Or combine both above??

What would you recommend is the best plan of attack for the exam day?

Thanks in advance, any advice/ help is appreciated! ;D

Cheers, Coolmate 8) (btw I'm in yr 11)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4483 on: August 10, 2019, 11:42:32 pm »
+1
Hello!

I just a quick question, how exactly do I prepare for unseen questions for Module A and B in an exam? Should I:
  • Memorise a bunch of quotes?
  • Figure out questions from the syllabus and try to memorise as many as I can?
  • Or combine both above??

What would you recommend is the best plan of attack for the exam day?

Thanks in advance, any advice/ help is appreciated! ;D

Cheers, Coolmate 8) (btw I'm in yr 11)
Hey there,

It depends on personal preference. I know some people memorise a generic essay and work with it in the exam. I personally prefer memorising a bunch of quotes, themes have a thesis prepared in advance so when I'm in the exam, I'm not just ignoring the question and regurgitating a generic essay. And I also try to avoid predicting questions just so I can focus on preparing as best as I can rather than using that effort trying to predict questions.

Keep in mind, the process of preparing unseen questions can take awhile. For me, it took doing a bunch of practice essays (or even just an intro and a paragraph) so I can get comfortable and experiment with what ideas and quotes I understand the best. Once I've narrowed down the set of quotes and the corresponding themes that I use the most, I create a cheat sheet so all those quotes and themes are in one place. I'd also throw in maybe 1 or 2 quotes and 1 theme just to have an extra one up my sleeve. When it came to modules when I had to analyse multiple texts (for example, in Mod B, I did Yeats and needed to know all 7 poems), I'd make sure I've done a practice essay for all the poems, narrow down the quotes/themes I'm comfortable with and implemented a crap tonne of memorising strategies (writing it repetitively, creating a playlist of someone reading them etc.)

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4484 on: August 11, 2019, 07:19:41 pm »
Hey there,

It depends on personal preference. I know some people memorise a generic essay and work with it in the exam. I personally prefer memorising a bunch of quotes, themes have a thesis prepared in advance so when I'm in the exam, I'm not just ignoring the question and regurgitating a generic essay. And I also try to avoid predicting questions just so I can focus on preparing as best as I can rather than using that effort trying to predict questions.

Keep in mind, the process of preparing unseen questions can take awhile. For me, it took doing a bunch of practice essays (or even just an intro and a paragraph) so I can get comfortable and experiment with what ideas and quotes I understand the best. Once I've narrowed down the set of quotes and the corresponding themes that I use the most, I create a cheat sheet so all those quotes and themes are in one place. I'd also throw in maybe 1 or 2 quotes and 1 theme just to have an extra one up my sleeve. When it came to modules when I had to analyse multiple texts (for example, in Mod B, I did Yeats and needed to know all 7 poems), I'd make sure I've done a practice essay for all the poems, narrow down the quotes/themes I'm comfortable with and implemented a crap tonne of memorising strategies (writing it repetitively, creating a playlist of someone reading them etc.)

Hope this helps!

owidjaja!

Thankyou so much, this is such a great explanation! I just have one more question, when you said "I'd make sure I've done a practice essay for all the poems", I am currently studying a book that has about 7 short stories (that my school is focusing on) in it, would you recommend that I do a practice essay for each of these short stories? Prelims for me start in about 5 weeks  ::) if I should do a practice essay for each short story would 5 weeks be enough time to complete this?

Thanks again owidjaja!  :D

Coolmate  8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5