Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 01:30:39 pm

Author Topic: Commerce @ melbu or monash- actuarial  (Read 4282 times)  Share 

zhouzhennan

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Commerce @ melbu or monash- actuarial
« on: August 04, 2020, 01:47:56 pm »
I'm choosing my uni preferences this year and is quite lost atm. Which uni has a better course for commerce and higher chance of getting a job? And would actuarial be rly hard to do well in? I do spesh but im only average and i wouldnt say im good in maths either. Would there also be a higher chance of getting scholarship for monash commerce? thanks in advance:")

Would i also be disadvantaged if i didnt do any commerce related subject in high school?

Mod edit: post merge
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:38:35 pm by insanipi »

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Commerce @ melbu or monash- actuarial
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 02:11:19 pm »
+2
Actuarial studies are designed for if you want to be an actuary. Like, if that's what you want to do, then yeah, go for it - but if what you really want to do is accounting, you'd kinda be wasting your time (and in this case, I don't think you'd get the right accreditation? But it's worth asking people more knowledgeable than I about this, I don't do commerce and haven't looked into the pathways specifically)

As for disadvantage - if commerce is something you're interested in, I'd question why you WOULDN'T want to do it in high school lol. I'm sure there's reasons (like I love chemistry, but tbh if I could go back in time I wouldn't do high school chemistry), just curious what they are? If you're interested in economics, for example, you're far more likely to do well in economics than, say, chemistry, just because your interest of the subject will leave you more motivated to learn more and to study for it. Plus I personally find content seems to stick in my head better if I'm actually interested in it, and my mind is less likely to wander.

However, you can still definitely get into commerce without doing commerce subjects (typically, you will have to do methods, though there are exceptions), and most of first year university in general is basically just catching everyone up to speed. If a topic is important but taught in high school, they'll still teach it to you in first year uni - otherwise, they would've made the VCE subject a pre-requisite for you. Maybe this means some parts of first year will be easier if you do the relevant VCE subjects, but first year commerce is typically quite broad (especially at Monash and Melbourne, which I think both require you to try basically everything, from memory?), so you will probably find your VCE subject will help you out for likely one unit at most, and probably only for a quarter of the unit at best.