Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 07:57:40 pm

Author Topic: Success in VCE, study tips?  (Read 938 times)  Share 

Redden380_

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Success in VCE, study tips?
« on: August 04, 2020, 09:31:21 am »
Hi all, so I am just a year 9, and with all the course counseling that I've received at school, it makes me feel like I really need to sort out my future (but I don't expect to have it all figured out!). I have my heart set on medicine or something in that field, and I know that whilst it takes a lot of hard work and a high ATAR to get there, I am willing to do it to live my dream. I was just wondering what I can do right now to set myself up for optimal success in vce, or just in general, what study techniques I could implement now, so I can refine them by the time I am in year 12. If someone could take some time to answer these questions, it would be much appreciated. :)

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: Success in VCE, study tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 10:12:26 am »
+5
Hi all, so I am just a year 9, and with all the course counseling that I've received at school, it makes me feel like I really need to sort out my future (but I don't expect to have it all figured out!). I have my heart set on medicine or something in that field, and I know that whilst it takes a lot of hard work and a high ATAR to get there, I am willing to do it to live my dream. I was just wondering what I can do right now to set myself up for optimal success in vce, or just in general, what study techniques I could implement now, so I can refine them by the time I am in year 12. If someone could take some time to answer these questions, it would be much appreciated. :)
I'm a year 12, by the way.
Don't procrastinate.
That's the single biggest one I can think of.
Don't let VCE consume your life. Don't slack off either - take notes and keep 'em up to date in every subj. it's applicable for. Don't get behind - hard to catch up again.
So yeah, try and get a good work ethic in. Try different ways of organising/taking notes to see what works for you.
Brief because my hands are too cold to type, but I might have more tips later :)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Marylen

• Forum Regular
  • 'You can live with disappointment but not regret.'
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 11:06:21 am »
+6
Hellooo!
I'd like to add alongside what The Cat In The Hat has posted, I find learning slightly ahead of the class really helpful! A wise teacher once said, 'You come to school to revise what you've learnt' and these are words that I swear by! Of course, I'm not the greatest at all of my vce subjects but I find that for subjects that I've studied ahead slightly, it does wonders! (I do this predominantly for my strongest subjects)

I don't go to tuition but some of my peers say that it has helped them drastically so tuition might be helpful for you if you require it for that extra bit of assistance

Hope I've helped  :)
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:
Psych: 40
Further Maths: 39

2021:
Methods, Accounting, English & Chemistry

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 11:19:22 am »
+1
I also find: AN is really useful. Esp. the notes. Free notes. Like I base my notes around a good free notes and then add to it in class, have an idea already. You see?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Redden380_

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 11:32:01 am »
Thanks for the tips, also, how would you go about improving in English for year 9?

Marylen

• Forum Regular
  • 'You can live with disappointment but not regret.'
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 11:56:20 am »
+2
Thanks for the tips, also, how would you go about improving in English for year 9?

I'd recommend reading the newspaper! In VCE English, you'll have an AOS on analysing argument and I feel that this is sometimes a bit overlooked! Back in year 9 (I still do this now), I would head straight to the library to snag the Herald Sun copies, get the clippings of issues in the media from the Herald Sun and then stick them into my exercise book. I would pick out the issue (what is arousing debate and has two sides) and pick out the author's contention, the arguments which support the author's contention and pick out how they've made their arguments convincing (persuasive techniques, I'm looking at you). After that, I'd try to write an analysing argument essay about the news article.

Seek feedback from your English teachers! I have a folder with all of my essays I've written from year 9 - the present and all of them contain scrawls and red marks all over. Regarding all writing, especially text response essays, try to write under timed conditions (my greatest weakness) and memorise ya quotes! I find grouping quotes in terms of themes super duper helpful.

- Mary
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:
Psych: 40
Further Maths: 39

2021:
Methods, Accounting, English & Chemistry

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 12:15:31 pm »
+4
I'd say figure out how you learn best, whether it's through flashcards or practice questions. Try to experiment with all the different subjects. I find that a lot of Year 11's don't do well in their first sac for a subject because the haven't figured this out and study the wrong way, and then they become demotivated because they put so much effort in studying but they didn't study smart. Also try and form a positive relationship with your teacher. They're a bit more warm towards the students who have always tried in their classes as opposed to a student who didn't care at all and then suddenly panics in vce. Also, try not to develop a competitive attitude. By this, I mean try not to set other people as your standard. You are your own competitor and it's a bit unhealthy to think 'next sac I want to beat her' or 'i really want to score higher than him.' I'm saying this because in a competitive school environment a LOT of people develop this attitude and it's not great for ur mental health.
With English, I'd say keep bugging your english teachers for help. Spam prac essays! Also don't be disheartened if you don't meet ur expectations at first, english is a skill based subject so it takes time :)
It's great that you're being proactive about this, if you continue this amazing mindset I'm sure you can achieve your dreams!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 02:18:04 pm »
+4
revise what you learn consistently. You dont want to get to the end of the year and have to practically re-learn what was done in Term 1.
Also practice essays/paragraphs are useful, nail the 'art' of text/comparative analysis while you have the time (This is of course assuming you do text analysis and comparative essays in year 9/10)
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

brothanathan

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 04:54:01 pm »
+4
I'm a year 12, by the way.
Don't procrastinate.
That's the single biggest one I can think of.
Don't let VCE consume your life. Don't slack off either - take notes and keep 'em up to date in every subj. it's applicable for. Don't get behind - hard to catch up again.
So yeah, try and get a good work ethic in. Try different ways of organising/taking notes to see what works for you.
Brief because my hands are too cold to type, but I might have more tips later :)

Also stressing this to you Redden380_

You're doing this for you not someone else.

You're keeping your notes up to date because it helps you study that subject. If it doesn't, don't make summary notes but do more practice questions.

You have a good work ethic (with the systems in place) because you know that will help you achieve your ambitions. You don't want to fall behind or let go of that work ethic no matter what happens, no matter what

Why? Because that ambition of yours is far greater than any setback. The process can't always be perfect. You continue despite the imperfections. When you persevere with that ambition, the lessons will be learnt. If you don't, they'll never be learnt.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:08:18 pm by brothanathan »