Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:23:06 am

Author Topic: UMAT Question Thread!  (Read 11370 times)  Share 

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
UMAT Question Thread!
« on: July 01, 2015, 09:18:50 am »
If you have any UMAT questions, of any particular questions leave them here and hopefully someone will be able to help!
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
Re: UMAT Question Thread!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 09:19:55 am »
+1
I need some help with the attached question, I really struggle with these types, any tips on how to tackle this sort of question?

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:50:55 am »
+2
I need some help with the attached question, I really struggle with these types, any tips on how to tackle this sort of question?
[/quote

Is the answer D?
If yes, its basically an addition question. You take the first box of each column and add it on top of the second box in the second column to produce the box in the last column. If lines are added on top of each other, they cancel out :)
2014: VCE completed
2015-2017: BSc at Melb Uni

DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE!!!

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 01:54:47 pm »
[/quote

Is the answer D?
If yes, its basically an addition question. You take the first box of each column and add it on top of the second box in the second column to produce the box in the last column. If lines are added on top of each other, they cancel out :)

How did you know how to do it?
Is there any tips/tricks on doing these questions?

Thanks Rishi97

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 01:56:23 pm »
+2
There aren't really any tricks and tips for many UMAT questions but I knew how to do this one because I've done a similar question before. This is a question that repeats in the UMAT exams :)
No worries!

Good Luck!!!!
2014: VCE completed
2015-2017: BSc at Melb Uni

DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE!!!

Splash-Tackle-Flail

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • diagnosed with bangali-fever
  • Respect: +94
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 07:44:48 pm »
Not section 0 because I couldn't access it due to maintenance before, but could anyone help with these?
VCE: Done!
2016:  Monash University, Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (Honours)
Currently offering Methods and Chemistry tutoring for 2016! (Currently full for 2016)
Splash's Life Tips :)
How to be the one who knocks

Redoxify

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
  • School: UoM
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 08:53:10 pm »
+1
first one,For the first one follow the cross,
it takes one of the following positions,
left, middle or right,
pretty simple from there :)

second one, the little star thing moves in angles of 120 degrees, but i'm not too sure haha :(
2014-2015: VCE
2016-2018: Bsc Melbourne Uni

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 09:31:08 pm »
+2
Not section 0 because I couldn't access it due to maintenance before, but could anyone help with these?

The trick for the middle questions is to look at the options that are the odd ones out. If you look carefully at all the options, you can see the last one only has a small circle and no star, so let's say this one is the first of out sequence.

See how the first image, the circle and the star are both collinear, assume that if we move the star along the circumference of the circle, the circle also moves about 40 degrees in a clockwise direction. The fourth image, the star is actually supposed to be in the same position as the circle, and as you can see in the last image the star has overlapped the circle. The key to this is that if you move the star 80 degrees in a clockwise direction, move the star 80/2 = 40 degrees (that is, the star moves more than the little circle per movement).

Splash-Tackle-Flail

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 09:54:33 pm »
The trick for the middle questions is to look at the options that are the odd ones out. If you look carefully at all the options, you can see the last one only has a small circle and no star, so let's say this one is the first of out sequence.

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)

See how the first image, the circle and the star are both collinear, assume that if we move the star along the circumference of the circle, the circle also moves about 40 degrees in a clockwise direction. The fourth image, the star is actually supposed to be in the same position as the circle, and as you can see in the last image the star has overlapped the circle. The key to this is that if you move the star 80 degrees in a clockwise direction, move the star 80/2 = 40 degrees (that is, the star moves more than the little circle per movement).

Woah I did not pick that haha- thanks!

first one,For the first one follow the cross,
it takes one of the following positions,
left, middle or right,
pretty simple from there :)

second one, the little star thing moves in angles of 120 degrees, but i'm not too sure haha :(

Yeah so I thought the final one must have both the cross and the star in the left column, but I still don't know if they go in the top or bottom of the key if you know what I mean :)
Currently offering Methods and Chemistry tutoring for 2016! (Currently full for 2016)

Redoxify

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
  • School: UoM
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 09:59:14 pm »
Woah I did not pick that haha- thanks!

Yeah so I thought the final one must have both the cross and the star in the left column, but I still don't know if they go in the top or bottom of the key if you know what I mean :)

the star follows the same pattern, hence E is the answer :)
2014-2015: VCE
2016-2018: Bsc Melbourne Uni

Splash-Tackle-Flail

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 10:03:30 pm »
any ideas?

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 10:12:56 pm »
+1
any ideas?

So in each square, the whole 'figure' or the dots all move systematically to the right one step. If the circles go over the square, that is they overlap it, they restart from the left side. So as they move step by step one move to the right, their positions also change within the lane, but it does not change lanes. You see the forth picture before the question mark? There are 2 grey dots on the final step, now the next step, they will restart from the left side of the square. So look at the answers and cancel out any options that do not start with 2 grey dots from the left. B C and D are valid. Now look at the image again, the first grey dots are in 3's, so if the whole thing moves 1 unit to the right, the second lane of the answer must have 3 dots, leaving us with B and D. There is only 1 dot in the second lane of the question, and so the third lane of the answer must have one dot only. Which is both B and D. So now look at the third lane, there is 4 dots and so the fourth lane of the answer must have also 4 dots. Hence D is our answer.

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 10:14:52 pm »
+1
any ideas?
Treat them as four separate rows in which different things are taking place. For the first row, they’re moving (horizontal) right by one step. 2nd: they’re all moving left by one but one of the circles disappears every second step. 3rd: same as 1st row, 4th: they’re both moving right by one but one of the circles disappears every second step.
So if I’m not mistaken, it’s D.

Edit: beaten and confirmed by cosine :P

paper-back

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "I must govern the clock, not be governed by it"
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 10:15:09 pm »
How do you approach these types of questions?
[img]http://s14.postimg.org/o9t34xfe5/UMAT_Question_2.jpg[/img]

Splash-Tackle-Flail

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 10:18:32 pm »
Treat them as four separate rows in which different things are taking place. For the first row, they’re moving (horizontal) right by one step. 2nd: they’re all moving left by one but one of the circles disappears every second step. 3rd: same as 1st row, 4th: they’re both moving right by one but one of the circles disappears every second step.
So if I’m not mistaken, it’s D.

Edit: beaten and confirmed by cosine :P

So in each square, the whole 'figure' or the dots all move systematically to the right one step. If the circles go over the square, that is they overlap it, they restart from the left side. So as they move step by step one move to the right, their positions also change within the lane, but it does not change lanes. You see the forth picture before the question mark? There are 2 grey dots on the final step, now the next step, they will restart from the left side of the square. So look at the answers and cancel out any options that do not start with 2 grey dots from the left. B C and D are valid. Now look at the image again, the first grey dots are in 3's, so if the whole thing moves 1 unit to the right, the second lane of the answer must have 3 dots, leaving us with B and D. There is only 1 dot in the second lane of the question, and so the third lane of the answer must have one dot only. Which is both B and D. So now look at the third lane, there is 4 dots and so the fourth lane of the answer must have also 4 dots. Hence D is our answer.

Thanks so much!! makes sense now you explained it!