Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:30 pm

Author Topic: 2019 Physics Olympiad Discussion  (Read 1325 times)  Share 

turtlesforeveryone

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2021
  • Respect: +19
2019 Physics Olympiad Discussion
« on: August 14, 2019, 04:15:24 pm »
Hi, who else did the physics olympiad today? Let's discuss how we went :)

As a Year 10 student, this was my first time trying something like this. It was honestly really hard and I felt brain dead afterwards.

I expected the first 10 multiple choice questions to be doable, but that was not the case. I did manage to get an answer down for everything except 11ai. Really glad I studied buoyancy since that came up, but conversely, I didn't study that much on gases and that also came up. Question 13 was quite confusing to be honest, I didn't know how to draw the magnetic field for a vertical and horizontal bar magnet, not to mention arranging them! However, this year had a lot of explaining questions and drawing diagrams which was welcome for an inexperienced person like me.

I really want to discuss it because for the physics olympiad especially it's hard to know how you went, since the marks are allocated by the examiners afterwards. Plus it's hard to know how you went with most of the writing questions.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: 2019 Physics Olympiad Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 04:26:16 pm »
Ah yes the Physics Olympiad. What a great paper. I loved it back in year 10  ;)

Tbh the questions in the exam aren't that difficult if you know your Physics. It's just that most people are only used to HSC Physics which leaves them unprepared for the Olympiad.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 04:27:53 pm by DrDusk »

turtlesforeveryone

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2021
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 04:31:41 pm »
That makes sense. I haven't been taught year 11 and 12 physics yet though, so it was a bit harder for me. I think the questions in the physics olympiad just require a good understanding of the fundamentals as well as a capacity for problem solving and reasoning (the theory is presented in a bunch of new applied ways and it can confuse me). I don't do tutoring or had access to any training for this. Was totally unprepared haha.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 04:33:20 pm »
+1
Mhmm that's the point. This exam gives students an insight into what real Physics is. It actually tests your problem solving skills instead of pre-memorised  content.

turtlesforeveryone

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2021
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 01:56:20 pm »
+2
I know this has been dead for awhile with no other discussion haha, but just wanted to pitch in and say I ended up getting a distinction, luckily. I also ended up getting way better in another science Olympiad (even though I thought physics was my best subject). So that was fun, I'd definitely do that again.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 01:57:34 pm »
+2
I know this has been dead for awhile with no other discussion haha, but just wanted to pitch in and say I ended up getting a distinction, luckily. I also ended up getting way better in another science Olympiad (even though I thought physics was my best subject). So that was fun, I'd definitely do that again.

Congrats! Great result. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.