Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:45:32 am

Author Topic: The QCE Years - My Journey to Changing the World through Business and Technology  (Read 51378 times)

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
That's great! it's always great to be environmentally friendly and take care of our planet.

The reality though is a lot of people want climate change to cease or be reduced significantly but this really is not possible without new technology that is also affordable. The population of this planet is increasing exponentially. Coal will run about in about 100 or so years and oils in about 50 years. After this we will have no option but to switch to electric cars and what not which will be powered by windmills and any other new sustainable technology that may be developed. However this won't stop the fact that deforestation will still keep on occurring, unless we eliminate the need of paper, wooden furniture etc, which could happen I guess. Sadly though a lot of people don't even believe in climate change even though there's scientific proof that greenhouse gases trap heat which allows us to extrapolate and say it traps heat on the Earth, and it's because a lot of people don't believe in it EVEN though there's so MUCH evidence that not a lot will change. It will take a lot of time for any significant action to take place, this new generation is growing up educated with a firm belief in Climate change, so I would say only when we begins to enter politics and organizations that there will be an actual difference.

As of now Scientists suggest Global warning has already gone too far so any actions we take now will only reduce the Climate change by a bit, and even if we cut out everything and made out emissions zero in the whole world climate change will still continue for a long time. A sad reality but this is what has become of The Earth.

Yes, it's a very sad reality. IPCC reports from the beginning of last year stated that in order to have a 67% chance of keeping global temperatures below a 1.5˚C increase we could only emit 480Gt more of CO2 equivalent greenhouse gases. This figure is already below 360Gt. What is sad is that due to equity issues it is important that first world countries reduce their net emissions to zero asap, so that third world countries can use the remains of the carbon budget to build up infrastructure.

It really is disappointing that people don't believe in climate change. Due to how quickly our carbon budget is depleting (at current rates of emissions we only have 8.5 years before our budget is gone) it is vital that we do as much as we can to convince those in the leadership that this is an issue that needs to be solved now. We don't have time to wait for younger generations to step into those positions. We need those who are currently in leadership positions to open their eyes and stop lying to themselves. Some people are more stubborn than others however, so this is proving a challenge.

The annoying thing is that technology has been developed to combat climate change. Scientists have developed concrete that absorbs carbon dioxide, methane produced in landfills can be used for power, there are machines that can suck CO2 out of the air (which can then be combined with hydrogen to produce fossil fuel substitutes)....

Anywho, all we can do right now is spread awareness and try and live sustainable lives ourselves. Hopefully global leaders will come around and realise how big of an issue this is.
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
Hello K.Smithy,

I can see that you are really passionate about the climate crisis but if you don't mind can we talk about the climate crisis in another forum and not this journal of mine?

I want to keep the focus of this journal on my journey to the QCE.

Thanks for understanding,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019

Also keep coming up with more great ideas to combat the crisis (your ideas are really awesome) :)
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
Hello K.Smithy,

I can see that you are really passionate about the climate crisis but if you don't mind can we talk about the climate crisis in another forum and not this journal of mine?

I want to keep the focus of this journal on my journey to the QCE.

Thanks for understanding,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019

Also keep coming up with more great ideas to combat the crisis (your ideas are really awesome) :)

My apologies, I didn't mean to de-rail your journal!
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
Hello everyone,

If someone can answer these questions then please reply :)

I've heard that the marking for the new QCE system is pretty strict, is this true?

I've heard that reading the ISMGs (the new criteria model used in the new system) and that using cognitive verbs in your assignments is pretty important if you want to achieve a high grade.

Thanks for reading my post,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Hello everyone,

If someone can answer these questions then please reply :)

I've heard that the marking for the new QCE system is pretty strict, is this true?

I've heard that reading the ISMGs (the new criteria model used in the new system) and that using cognitive verbs in your assignments is pretty important if you want to achieve a high grade.

Thanks for reading my post,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019

In general, most people find that in senior years marking is more strict but if your school is particularly strict at lower year levels this may be less of an adjustment for you.

I would definitely recommend paying attention to the ISMGs (and to your syllabuses in general) as otherwise it's going to be difficult to know what you need to do to get a high mark. With cognitive verbs it's not so much about using them in your assignments and more that they direct how you should respond. If you're asked to "compare" and instead you "classify" you'll find it hard to get the marks. I struggled in year 10 to remember that for "contrast" you only list differences whereas for "compare" you look at both similarities and differences but by year 12 it was habit - knowing how to interpret these gets easier with practice. If you're interested you can find a glossary to the right of this this page, and you can find the ISMGs by clicking into the relevant subject.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
+1
How have you been JerryMouse? ;D

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
+1
I've been doing great. Not much has been happening though. Assignments and exams have been piling up. It's hard to believe that in less than a year I will be in year 12.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
+1
I've been doing great. Not much has been happening though. Assignments and exams have been piling up. It's hard to believe that in less than a year I will be in year 12.

Pretty neat that you've been doing great while also have exams and assignments pile up. At your school do you start year 11 at the end of this year or at the beginning of next year?

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
I start year 11 at the beginning of next year which really isn't good for me since year 11 is then condensed into 3 terms (year 12 starts in term 4 of 2020). Apparently each unit lasts a term and a half which means that year 11 is definitely going to be harder than year 10 (and it will definitely be a bigger jump in terms of workload compared to how much of a jump year 10 was from year 9).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:40:32 pm by JerryMouse2019 »

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
+1
I start year 11 at the beginning of next year which really isn't good for me since year 11 is then condensed into 3 terms. Apparently each unit lasts a term and a half which means that year 11 is definitely going to be harder than year 10 (and definitely a bigger jump in terms of workload).
There is definitely a jump, but I found (studying two 1/2 subjects this year), it was no bigger than the jump between year nine and year ten. I think that the biggest thing to get used to is how you often have to be quite self-motivated. Sending good vibes your way!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
+2
I start year 11 at the beginning of next year which really isn't good for me since year 11 is then condensed into 3 terms (year 12 starts in term 4 of 2020). Apparently each unit lasts a term and a half which means that year 11 is definitely going to be harder than year 10 (and it will definitely be a bigger jump in terms of workload compared to how much of a jump year 10 was from year 9).

Yeah it's really weird - schools seem to be ignoring that the recommended time for each unit is the same. If it's any consolation, at least having a more stressful units 1&2 will give you the change to test out your management strategies for that before year 12?

If want to prepare for it, a decent amount of the bio 1/2 syllabus for qce overlaps with the vce 3/4 syllabus (e.g. cellular respiration, photosynthesis, immunity) so there's plenty of people here who will be able to answer questions and advice for those topics you can look at.

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
+1

Hey everyone,

I'm going to contradict my previous statement and say that I have been struggling a lot more than the previous terms. It's only because I have a biology exam that covers both term 3 and term 4 content. I also have a maths exam that covers 5 chapters from my maths textbook including: trigonometry, quadratic equations, parabolas, statistics and polynomials. Having to remember and practise this much content has been very challenging for me so far.

I'm also considering a change to two of my subjects for my QCE (biology and digital solutions). Currently I'm thinking of changing them to either legal studies, ICT, earth and environmental science or geography. I haven't made a final decision yet on what I will pick but when I do, I'll surely update this journal with my new subject choices.

Thanks for reading my journal update,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
+1
I'm going to contradict my previous statement and say that I have been struggling a lot more than the previous terms. It's only because I have a biology exam that covers both term 3 and term 4 content. I also have a maths exam that covers 5 chapters from my maths textbook including: trigonometry, quadratic equations, parabolas, statistics and polynomials. Having to remember and practise this much content has been very challenging for me so far.
I feel exactly the same as you, particularly with maths (and with bio to an extent). Your Year 10 exams don't define you, and in the end they're just a practice for QCE.

Good luck with your exams and choosing your subjects.

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
+3
Hey everyone,

Today I officially changed one of my QCE subjects (biology) to legal studies. Hopefully I can do well in legal studies since I've done really well in Pre-English-Literature this year (even though I've decided to do normal English next year).

I chose legal studies over biology because I started taking quite an interest into the practices of law, governance and criminology in recent weeks. This was partly because I found that doing legal studies would help me with a career in cyber security (something I'm thinking of doing) and also because it would help me improve my analytical skills.

Thanks for reading my update,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
+3
Hey Jerry,

I'm glad you were able to be decisive enough to change your plans (which can always be a bit intimidating) as you've had more time to think it over & gained more information. 

I tried units 1&2 of literature but ended up swapping to another English. I'd thought I'd really like literature since I love reading and analysing texts but it wasn't for me.  Did you have a similar experience or did you suspect from the start that literature wasn't the English for you? 

- Bri