Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 08:40:42 am

Author Topic: JMSS year 11 2023 entry  (Read 2949 times)  Share 

Crish

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
JMSS year 11 2023 entry
« on: January 28, 2022, 01:43:16 pm »
Hey I'm currently a year 10 student and I'm thinking about applying into JMSS in 2023 for year 11 entry, I didn't take the test last year because I didn't know about it, but could anyone tell me what the exam consists off and if its hard or not, and how to prepare best for it, and how to learn all the content? And is the year 10 entry exam different to the year 11 exam?
Thank you so much

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: JMSS year 11 2023 entry
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 04:55:05 pm »
+1
Hey I'm currently a year 10 student and I'm thinking about applying into JMSS in 2023 for year 11 entry, I didn't take the test last year because I didn't know about it, but could anyone tell me what the exam consists off and if its hard or not, and how to prepare best for it, and how to learn all the content? And is the year 10 entry exam different to the year 11 exam?
Thank you so much

Hello, Crish!

Here is a list of concepts that may appear on the exam, that I found on the JMSS Discord Server. I am unaware of who had made the list, but credits to them as they did a great job.

JMSS Year 11 Entry Exam:

Science reasoning - 30 q, 30 min
- person has a mixture, does a few things to it, you have to say what the concentration is
- elements listed based on reactivity, back story about how one reactive metal prevents another from reacting, choose best metal
- a table about substances that can react to be a solid, then you have to determine which substances this can be based on a list
- overall, lots of questions about graphs and tables
- there was one about gears

Numerical reasoning - 50 q, 30 min
- number patterns were around 1/3 of the test (sequence, matrix)
- algebra / working backwards problems, two coats equals one Jean etc
- person is five times older than another, they are nine times older than... etc

Science knowledge test - 30 q, 30 min
- electricity problems (calculate power, direction of current)
- astronomy (solar eclipse)
- biology (picture of blood cell, photosynthesis components and graph)
- chemistry (how the periodic table is arranged, how many hydrogen atoms, acidity)

Mathematics - 60 q, 30 min
- square roots
- rearranging equations
- time and distance
- quadratics (mostly just the equations)
- factorising, expanding
- John buys 50 sheep for so and so dollars, and he has 10 lambs, total spent this much dollars
- ratios
- probability
- statistics (stem and leaf plot, median mode mean)

Science writing - 5 min plan, 25 min writing
- explain the similarities and differences between sound and light energy, including the wave type, speeds etc
- explain the digestive process, including excretory system, endocrine system, circulatory system

Again, this list is not mine but best of luck with your application, j.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 04:56:41 pm by Alomoac »
"It's not about being nice, it's about doing the right thing."

Crish

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS year 11 2023 entry
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 05:35:45 pm »
Thank you so much, this really helps