Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:38:27 am

Poll

Modern or ancient?

Modern
Ancient
I don't do history (whaaaat)
Why don't we have both? (ayyyyyy) (like that taco ad)

Author Topic: To cause a bit of drama: modern or ancient?  (Read 22450 times)  Share 

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
To cause a bit of drama: modern or ancient?
« on: July 19, 2017, 08:07:33 pm »
+4
a bit of a debate happened at school a while ago... let's see what happens ???
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
Re: To cause a bit of drama: modern or ancient?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 08:10:31 pm »
+2
Ancient all the way.
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 08:12:27 pm »
+2
I only do Ancient .... so I guess Ancient. Except I think that if I did modern I would have liked it as well. :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 08:13:57 pm »
+8
oooooo v controversial ;) Though as the lecturer for both I should probably remain impartial...

Modern was and always will be my baby <3

Still adore Ancient though, and don't regret for a second doing it alongside both Modern and Extension :) And I definitely think that the ancient exam is a lot more accessible as well (not easier - but accessible), which I think modern could take a few pointers from :)

If there are any year 10's viewing this thread, considering studying both - I highly recommend it (and then add extension to boot in year 12 ;) )
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 08:15:46 pm »
+1
Ancient all the way.

I only do Ancient .... so I guess Ancient. Except I think that if I did modern I would have liked it as well. :)

i only do modern, but i do like a bit of ancient history as well. my loyalty lies with modern though.
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 08:20:19 pm »
+1
oooooo v controversial ;) Though as the lecturer for both I should probably remain impartial...

Modern was and always will be my baby <3

Still adore Ancient though, and don't regret for a second doing it alongside both Modern and Extension :) And I definitely think that the ancient exam is a lot more accessible as well (not easier - but accessible), which I think modern could take a few pointers from :)

If there are any year 10's viewing this thread, considering studying both - I highly recommend it (and then add extension to boot in year 12 ;) )
Yeah, I would definitely recommend extension as well-by far one of my favourite subjects. I actually was given both histories (modern/ancient) when I got my subject selections and ended up changing modern because I thought it would be too much history. Which I kinda ended up regretting.
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 08:22:58 pm »
+4
Yeah, I would definitely recommend extension as well-by far one of my favourite subjects. I actually was given both histories (modern/ancient) when I got my subject selections and ended up changing modern because I thought it would be too much history. Which I kinda ended up regretting.
ahahaha definitely a common misconception - I never felt like I was doing too much. Yes, part of that is going to be because I just love history anyway, but also I found that all three were just so different, not just in terms of content but also structure, that I didn't feel like I was repeating myself. The best day of my timetable by far last year - free period in the morning followed by double Ancient, then double Modern, then double Drama, then history extension after school :D

I think that no matter what side of the camp we lie - we can all agree that History > Geography any day o' the week ;)  8)

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 08:23:54 pm »
+2

history extension is the best extension out there (i did extension maths in prelim, that didn't go too well). the major didn't pan out well for me and the exam timetables for trials and hsc so i ended up dropping - and that was probably the best decision for me.

you can't go wrong with history!

mixel

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 08:26:11 pm »
+2
I don't do ancient so I'm not exactly objective but I can't imagine getting as personally invested in Ancient. So much, if not most of modern is stuff that's in living memory. You can actually see the world we live in today reflected in it, and I think without such a direct connection I just can't image Ancient being on the same level
HSC 2017 subjects
Biology, Economics, English Advanced, English EXT1, English EXT2, General Maths, Modern History

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 08:26:34 pm »
+2

I think that no matter what side of the camp we lie - we can all agree that History > Geography any day o' the week ;)  8)

i know loads of people who dropped history for geography... get out, honestly. ;)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 08:28:14 pm »
+4
i know loads of people who dropped history for geography... get out, honestly. ;)
erase them from your life just like Stalin erased Trotsky from history!!!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 08:33:29 pm »
+3
ahahaha definitely a common misconception - I never felt like I was doing too much. Yes, part of that is going to be because I just love history anyway, but also I found that all three were just so different, not just in terms of content but also structure, that I didn't feel like I was repeating myself. The best day of my timetable by far last year - free period in the morning followed by double Ancient, then double Modern, then double Drama, then history extension after school :D

I hated geography with a passion in year 10. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 08:33:54 pm »
+3
I don't do ancient so I'm not exactly objective but I can't imagine getting as personally invested in Ancient. So much, if not most of modern is stuff that's in living memory. You can actually see the world we live in today reflected in it, and I think without such a direct connection I just can't image Ancient being on the same level
That's a good point, however my argument is that ancient educates you about the foundations of human history. Studying about events/personalities from such a long time ago gives you a better understanding of how human nature really doesn't change that much. For me personally it's developed my sense of awareness, when I see current world events unfolding I can compare them to the events I learn about in ancient which in some cases allows us to predict what might unfold in today's events.

Also I used to play a lot of ancient warfare video games back in the day..... (Rome Total war anyone?) so that may have corrupted my choice just a bit hahah :D
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 08:40:45 pm »
+1
erase them from your life just like Stalin erased Trotsky from history!!!

susie, you're an absolute savage oh my goodness

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 08:42:33 pm »
+4
I do both Ancient and Modern. They're both so different... I love parts of ancient more than modern but they can be too sciencey at times. But that being said, it's interesting to compare ancient societies to ours and modern can at times feel too recent, but it's also interesting to see how we have progressed as a society in a short time.
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.