Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:45:23 pm

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 341561 times)  Share 

liiz

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 02:59:16 pm »
Hey guys, just wondering what everyone one's opinions was for this dot point in terms of how much depth you should go into? "Gather and process information to trace the historical development of our understanding of the cause and prevention of malaria." I feel like I could go on for ages so I can't really identify what is the most important points? Thankyouuuu :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 05:07:35 pm »
+2
Hey liiz
Gather and process information..
This means that youll need to be doing more than simply 'identifying' (soz if going all BOSTES on you :p)

The main points of malaria: (soz its a bit long got carried away :p)
Around 2700 BC - several characteristic symptoms of malaria were described in the Nei Ching, Chinese medical writings. The Greece recognised it by 4 B.C. as the cause of the decline of many city populations. Hippocrates noted the principal symptoms.

Around 18 BC- Romans discovered malaria was common in marshy areas around Rome. The name malaria is derived from the Italian for “bad air"

Quechua healers of South American tribes in the Amazon used the bark of the Cinchona shrub to treat fevers and diseases
In the 1600s, this was observed by Spanish priests, who started using it to treat fevers associated with malaria. By 1649, the bark was available in England. The active ingredient, quinine, was isolated in 1820 by Pierre Joseph Pelletier. Quinine is one of the most effective anti-malarial drugs today.

In 1880, Charles Laveran, a French army doctor, observed the malarial parasite. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for his work in 1907.

In 1886, Golgi observed asexual reproduction in the protozoan Plasmodium and identified two species.

In 1897, Ronald Ross discovered the malarial parasite in the stomach of an Anopheles mosquito. The parasite is the protozoa of the genus Plasmodium transmitted by the female Anopheles mosquito. In 1902, Ronald Ross won the Nobel Prize in Medicine for this achievement.

In 1898, Giovanni Grassi named the Anopheles mosquito as the carrier of the malarial parasite.

In 1934, Hans Andersag discovered chloroquinine, a synthetic drug. He named the compound resochin. Chloroquinine is an effective and safe antimalarial, though it was not recognised as such by British and American scientists until 1946.

In 1942, Paul Muller discovered the insecticide DDT. It was first used in Italy in 1944, and idea of global eradication of malaria seemed possible. Subsequently, widespread systematic control of the Anopheles mosquito has been used to interrupt its lifecycle, including the spraying of DDT, coating marshes with paraffin, using mosquito nets and draining stagnant water. However, mosquito populations developed resistance to DDT, making DDT have minimal or no effect

I feel like I have gone on for ages but the main points are in bold
Hope that has actually summarised rather than extended your notes! ;D

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
  • It's never to late to start, so just get it done
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 06:00:56 pm »
Just to add onto what StudyBuddy wrote
You should also talk about the reduced effectiveness of quinine over the years as well as the development of plans to try and prevent malaria through controlling mosquito populations, this is another dot point but it would be good to refer to it
ATAR: 93

English (Advanced): 88
Mathematics: 81
Biology: 91
Physics: 85
Chemistry: 82
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 88

Most of my knowledge lies in Bio so ask me anything on that

liiz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 08:37:34 pm »
Just to add onto what StudyBuddy wrote
You should also talk about the reduced effectiveness of quinine over the years as well as the development of plans to try and prevent malaria through controlling mosquito populations, this is another dot point but it would be good to refer to it
Ah okay awesome - will do! Thankyou so much :))

liiz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 08:40:22 pm »
Hey liiz
Gather and process information..
This means that youll need to be doing more than simply 'identifying' (soz if going all BOSTES on you :p)

The main points of malaria: (soz its a bit long got carried away :p)
Around 2700 BC - several characteristic symptoms of malaria were described in the Nei Ching, Chinese medical writings. The Greece recognised it by 4 B.C. as the cause of the decline of many city populations. Hippocrates noted the principal symptoms.

Around 18 BC- Romans discovered malaria was common in marshy areas around Rome. The name malaria is derived from the Italian for “bad air"

Quechua healers of South American tribes in the Amazon used the bark of the Cinchona shrub to treat fevers and diseases
In the 1600s, this was observed by Spanish priests, who started using it to treat fevers associated with malaria. By 1649, the bark was available in England. The active ingredient, quinine, was isolated in 1820 by Pierre Joseph Pelletier. Quinine is one of the most effective anti-malarial drugs today.

In 1880, Charles Laveran, a French army doctor, observed the malarial parasite. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for his work in 1907.

In 1886, Golgi observed asexual reproduction in the protozoan Plasmodium and identified two species.

In 1897, Ronald Ross discovered the malarial parasite in the stomach of an Anopheles mosquito. The parasite is the protozoa of the genus Plasmodium transmitted by the female Anopheles mosquito. In 1902, Ronald Ross won the Nobel Prize in Medicine for this achievement.

In 1898, Giovanni Grassi named the Anopheles mosquito as the carrier of the malarial parasite.

In 1934, Hans Andersag discovered chloroquinine, a synthetic drug. He named the compound resochin. Chloroquinine is an effective and safe antimalarial, though it was not recognised as such by British and American scientists until 1946.

In 1942, Paul Muller discovered the insecticide DDT. It was first used in Italy in 1944, and idea of global eradication of malaria seemed possible. Subsequently, widespread systematic control of the Anopheles mosquito has been used to interrupt its lifecycle, including the spraying of DDT, coating marshes with paraffin, using mosquito nets and draining stagnant water. However, mosquito populations developed resistance to DDT, making DDT have minimal or no effect

I feel like I have gone on for ages but the main points are in bold
Hope that has actually summarised rather than extended your notes! ;D
This was super helpful, and yep - definitely summarised rather than made my notes longer!! Short but good information in there that hopefully I'll be able to remember a bit easier. Thankyou so much for helping out, really appreciate it :)) 

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 07:38:44 am »
This was super helpful, and yep - definitely summarised rather than made my notes longer!! Short but good information in there that hopefully I'll be able to remember a bit easier. Thankyou so much for helping out, really appreciate it :)) 
No worries im glad i was able to help :D nice to see that some people dont think i ramble on too much (my english teacher thinks otherwise.. :p)

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 07:05:56 pm »
+1
Interaction between B cells and T Cells

Macrophages introduce antigens to B Cells and T cells in the lymph nodes.
These B Cells produce antibodies that attach to the antigen to form an antibody-antigen complex, then the antibodies flag the pathogen for destruction via phagocytosis. T cells attack the pathogens via Killer T-cells (cytotoxic T-Cells) in which the T-Cells latches onto the pathogen and kills it using chemicals.

Helper T-Cells assists in the production of antibodies by promoting antibody production by plasma B Cells

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 07:49:00 pm »
+1
Hey guys!
I'm gonna drop a few questions for Search for Better Health here. Any answers would be appreciated!
1) What were MacFarlane Burnet's contributions to our understanding of the immune response and the effectiveness of immunisation programs?
2) What are the interactions between B and T cells and what are the mechanisms that allow these interactions?
3) What are the main features of epidemiology?
Thanks!

The purpose of this forum, as I see it, is to help refine your understanding, so please to try to avoid just dumping questions and expecting people to answer them, especially when, such as in the case as question 1, you could just as easily Google it.

So before I contribute to answering any of those, what do you think? What have you found by doing your own research? Then we can help refine it.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 08:33:01 pm »
+1
The purpose of this forum, as I see it, is to help refine your understanding, so please to try to avoid just dumping questions and expecting people to answer them, especially when, such as in the case as question 1, you could just as easily Google it.

So before I contribute to answering any of those, what do you think? What have you found by doing your own research? Then we can help refine it.

I totally agree with what Vox is saying, even though I've already attempted at answering, it's only haphazardly done so that it was there to help out, it is also a lot easier to help fill in blanks instead of answering whole questions

Sssssrr

• Forum Regular
  • School: NGS
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 10:29:42 pm »
could someone please explain to me the difference between enatiostasis and homeostasis?
thanks

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 10:39:06 pm »
+1
could someone please explain to me the difference between enatiostasis and homeostasis?
thanks
enatiostasis is the the maintenance of metabolic and physiological functions in response to variations in the environment.

homestasis is the maintenance of relatively stable internal environment despite fluctuations of the external environment

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 06:49:11 am »
+1
To add onto what Sine said, you should also have an example of each.
Enantiostasis: Mangroves Trees active accumulated salt on older leaves in order to prevent the salt from building up in other cells, the salt is removed when the leaves fall off.
Homeostasis: Aldosterone is activated when the blood pressure and ion concentration in blood is too low in order to actively absorb more sodium ions and stabilise blood pressure

Sssssrr

• Forum Regular
  • School: NGS
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 09:50:16 am »
thanks that was really helpful!

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2016, 05:12:00 pm »
To add onto what Sine said, you should also have an example of each.
Enantiostasis: Mangroves Trees active accumulated salt on older leaves in order to prevent the salt from building up in other cells, the salt is removed when the leaves fall off.
Homeostasis: Aldosterone is activated when the blood pressure and ion concentration in blood is too low in order to actively absorb more sodium ions and stabilise blood pressure

We had this exact question ("Distinguish between homeostasis and enantiostasis") so i got full marks in the homeostasis part but when i talked about mangrove trees and the accumulation/excretion of salt for enantiostasis i ended up getting a cross right on "mangrove"l also said it was the maintenance of metabolic functions.

This was in my 1/2yearly btw. This question was out of 4. I got 2 for homeostasis and 1 for enantiostasis. What was i missing to make it a 4/4?

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2016, 05:56:20 pm »
+1
My guess is that you need 2 examples. These include the
Osmoregulators: organisms that avoid changes in their internal environment and have the ability to keep the solutes at an optimal level (‘regulate’ solute concentrations within the body), regardless of the differing external environment. i.e Mussels close their mouths in order to keep the salt levels in their tissues the same as sea water
Osmoconformers: organisms that tolerate the changes in the environment by altering the concentration of their internal solutes to match the external environment. i.e the fiddler crab accumulates salt into its tissues to match seawater and pumps out the excess when exposed to fresh water.

You should also talk what estuaries are and what change in the environment that requires enantiostasis to occur for these organisms to live in their ecosystems
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 05:58:52 pm by Skidous »