Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:15:07 am

Author Topic: Choosing the right related text!  (Read 70441 times)

Rasika

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Choosing the right related text!
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2017, 09:52:02 pm »
What is a good related text for 'Go back to where you came from' documentary???

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
  • It`s not a day without an existential crisis or tw
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2017, 04:55:40 pm »
Hi I'm in my prelims and for our exams our teacher is saying that if you want to extend yourself you should choose an ORT. Obviously I'm doing as such, and since our AOS is Connections, I was wondering if Lion could be a reputable related text? I was thinking it could pass on to HSC with Discovery, and to prepare two ORTs I'd use Saroo Brierley's novel, "A Long Way Back," to link with it. I think it has a lot of potential, but worried if it's still too sensational to use.
HSC 2018: Who knows at this point

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2017, 07:41:15 pm »
What is a good related text for 'Go back to where you came from' documentary???

I used Tim Winton's Distant Lands :) Short story!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2017, 07:59:48 pm »
Hi I'm in my prelims and for our exams our teacher is saying that if you want to extend yourself you should choose an ORT. Obviously I'm doing as such, and since our AOS is Connections, I was wondering if Lion could be a reputable related text? I was thinking it could pass on to HSC with Discovery, and to prepare two ORTs I'd use Saroo Brierley's novel, "A Long Way Back," to link with it. I think it has a lot of potential, but worried if it's still too sensational to use.

Hey! I think Lion would be a great choice - Don't worry that it is popular, if it works it works! ;D

Turtlebae

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2017, 04:56:56 pm »
Hello! I need help on finding related text on Module C: transition

I'm doing a play: Shafana & Aunt Sarinah

Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 05:01:14 pm by Turtlebae »

Donna-Lyn

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2017, 08:34:26 am »
Hey, looking for some suggestions for my students. While looking at this thread someone referred to Motorcycle Diaries as a novel. It is not a novel (which is a fictional text); it is a non-fiction text, a memoir.

bojana2000

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2018, 09:22:25 am »
Hi!
 i need help on choosing a related text that goes well with the poetry of robert frost, in particular for the tuft of flowers, mending wall or after apple picking??

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2018, 09:26:24 am »
+1
Hi!
 i need help on choosing a related text that goes well with the poetry of robert frost, in particular for the tuft of flowers, mending wall or after apple picking??

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
Hey,
What kinds of discoveries are you thinking about discussing?

bojana2000

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2018, 02:02:48 pm »
to be honest i am not quite sure where to begin - but i would discuss mainly physical or spiritual discoveries as they are often found in the poems?

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2018, 02:09:24 pm »
+1
Hey, bojana2000!

So for physical and spiritual discoveries, I highly recommend the film Moonrise Kingdom, directed by Wes Anderson. There are a lot of concepts of physical transformation that is explored by both of the main characters in the film. There's also a strong spiritual transformation within them; that is, they aren't the same as the people from the beginning of the film.

There are a plethora of techniques you can find in the film, so definitely something you could possibly check out for physical and spiritual discoveries.
Hopefully, this has been helpful! And good luck with the year tomorrow! :)

bojana2000

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2018, 09:10:04 pm »
hi again, would the related text tell tale heart be good with robert frosts tuft of flowers and after apple picking??

Seanclair

• Adventurer
  • "I can, and I will"
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2018, 09:59:45 am »
Hey there!

I am doing Robert Gray's poems (which I enjoy) as my prescribed text, and my related text is Seamus Heaney's 'Personal Helicon' (which I love even more). I used Seamus Heaney in my trial and got 14/15 for it, however my teachers are suggesting to me that perhaps it's not the best idea to use a related text that is a poem also, because then your related text has no difference in form to your prescribed text. They argue that using a text that is not a poem would demonstrate a wider range of analysis skills, rather than simply using another poem.
It's a great text that I don't want to abandon and I can analysis it really well, but I guess my teachers are just trying to push me, and when it comes to my essay being marked against thousands of other students, I suppose showing a wide range of skills is importance to distinguish yourself.
What are your thoughts?
HSC 2018:
English Advanced
Studies of Religion 2
Ancient History
History Extension
Legal Studies
Geography

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2018, 11:22:34 am »
+3
Hey there!

I am doing Robert Gray's poems (which I enjoy) as my prescribed text, and my related text is Seamus Heaney's 'Personal Helicon' (which I love even more). I used Seamus Heaney in my trial and got 14/15 for it, however my teachers are suggesting to me that perhaps it's not the best idea to use a related text that is a poem also, because then your related text has no difference in form to your prescribed text. They argue that using a text that is not a poem would demonstrate a wider range of analysis skills, rather than simply using another poem.
It's a great text that I don't want to abandon and I can analysis it really well, but I guess my teachers are just trying to push me, and when it comes to my essay being marked against thousands of other students, I suppose showing a wide range of skills is importance to distinguish yourself.
What are your thoughts?

Hi...
I definitely think there is some truth in your teacher's opinion.

But just wanted to clarify, there is nothing inherently wrong with comparing two texts of the same type. With related texts, its how you analyse and compare it to your prescribed that is the most important. And by the sounds of it, you have already nailed that bit!  :)

But at the same time, two of the same text type can sometimes limit your opportunities to excel, by not having enough to contrast between the texts. Particularly since discovery is a conceptual unit, it is helpful to compare the portrayal of a range of discoveries in a variety of texts, to show the markers that you really get the rubric. Because, of course, the portrayal of discovery will depend on the techniques the composer uses, which will inherently differ by text type. If the nature of the discoveries in Gray's poetry vs Heaney's is quite different, then it might still work in your favour.

I would definitely encourage you to consider different text types. Perhaps Heaney's poem could be used as a second related text, seeing as it has already worked well for you. Or even use a quote from Heaney's poem in the introduction as a broad quote about discovery. Of course, as it is drawing close to the HSC, its up to you whether you want to change your related text, because it will mean you will have to put that extra bit of effort in to make sure you are confident with using it. So its definitely not essential that you change it, but if you have the time, maybe consider it then.

Hope this helps.  :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

DarthSamurai

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2018, 09:16:18 pm »
HHi guys! Im sorry to be rather rude and straightforward but there is exactly one month till my HSC and I still haven’t got my shtuff together yet. I am doing ‘The Tempest’ as my text for discovery and ‘The art of travel’ for my mod C; and I have no related text for either one. I seem to be continually chopping and changing in the quest for the right related text, and for every single exam/assignment I seem to have used a different text and have always miss out on full marks simply because “I don’t do my related text justice because I dont pick the best examples from it” or “I try to force good literary quotes into incorrect situations”. I have tried classics-‘the strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde’, poems- ‘The lime tree bower my prison’ and even short stories ‘Dark they were and golden eyed’; but nothing seems to work out. Can you advise me some good related texts, ones that will preferably work for both, and hopefully not take me too long to analyse? Anyways any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Also thank you guys SOOO much in advance for taking the time to read and reply to this message, I REALLY appreciate it.