Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:57:29 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Essay Marking (Modules Only)  (Read 602694 times)

Spencerr

• Forum Regular
  • Things will turn out better than expected.
Re: English Advanced Essay Marking (Modules Only)
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2016, 07:55:02 pm »
Thank you so much Lauren! Two more weeks until exams and I'm stressing out with a Romanticism creative and Half and Ext 1 Essay that I haven't written yet!!

Referring to your feedback on Equal Pay Act, teachers at my school stress the importance of having a 'context sentence' (i.e. the sentence after the topic sentence always gives the factual context behind the argument in the paragraph). Do you think that piece of context fits well there?
Also I'm just a bit concerned about slipping into story telling as opposed to analysis. Do you think there are places where I haven't analysed enough or that there are gaps in my arguments?

Once again, thanks so much Lauren!
1st in HSC Eco 2016

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2016, 09:17:05 pm »
Defs listen to your teachers' advice on that front, then. Your contextual information is well integrated, but I was just a bit worried that it might come across as an irrelevant side note that detracted from the focus of your analysis. But if this is something your teachers are encouraging then clearly it's permissible in the examiners' eyes, so don't mind me :P

I don't think you were in any danger of lapsing into summary, but three quick tips to help you avoid it nonetheless:

1) use the authors' names often. Sentences that contain their names are unlikely to be summative because they force you to consider what the author is doing or intending, both of which require analysis and close discussion.

2) use the right verbs. Obviously if you're saying things like 'says,' 'describes' and arguably 'shows,' (as in 'Austen says...') then things are going to come across as summative. Instead, get more descriptive. How is the author saying, describing, or portraying something? Is she celebrating it? Condeming it? Vilifying it? Vituperating it? etc. etc.

3) turn verbs into nouns occasionally. Take the following sentence:
Austen suggests that Elizabeth felt compelled to acquiesce to societal expectations.
On its own, that might sound a bit too summative, but if we turn that verb 'suggests' into its noun form, 'suggestion,' then we get:
Austen's suggestion that Elizabeth felt compelled to acquiesce to societal expectations...
See how the sentence is incomplete now, and we have to add more information at the end here? (like, 'Austen's suggestion... establishes a sense of X' or 'Austen's suggestion... encourages readers to consider Y or 'Austen's suggestion... forms part of her assertion that Z')
^This process is called 'nominalisation' (=noun-ifying things) and is a great way to stop yourself from unintentionally summarising things.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
« Reply #107 on: February 29, 2016, 10:30:52 am »
New policy on essay marking:

Hey all! Due to overwhelming use of this service, we will now be restricting essay marking to people who have 5 or more ATAR Notes posts.

The idea here is that there will be less essays for us to mark because people can't post an essay as their first (and perhaps only ever) post. However, it doesn't make it any harder to get essay marking, given that 5 posts is an incredibly low and easy number. You can ask questions on any subject, or perhaps even try answering some questions on your own! Once you have 5 posts, your essays will be marked for free in any of our essay marking threads. Thanks for your understanding, happy studies!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

rosielaird

• Fresh Poster
  • School: St Columba Anglican School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #108 on: February 29, 2016, 12:33:56 pm »
This is my essay for Joyce and Heaney, Module A,
Please give me feedback it is due in 2 days!
Thanks all xx

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #109 on: February 29, 2016, 05:11:22 pm »
This is my essay for Joyce and Heaney, Module A,
Please give me feedback it is due in 2 days!
Thanks all xx

Hi Rosielaird! Thanks for posting your essay.

Unfortunately, we've recently had to restrict essay marking to those who've been participating in the community and have 5 or more posts from their account. The reason for this is that, essentially, we want to keep giving awesome feedback. Essay marking is extremely demanding of one's time and the entire service becomes useless if too many people use it: Either we'd have massive backlogs, or feedback would be nowhere near as helpful.

I know it's tough given that your assessment is in a matter of days but we're under strict instructions from Brenden to abide by the rule. This is just in the interests of fairness, one rule for everyone consistently applied.

I seriously am really sorry to have to turn you down  :(  I did have a quick peek at your essay and it reads extremely well! Keep reading it over and really think about each sentence, make sure each one backs up your central argument and that this argument is well developed in your Thesis. If you can meet the post requirement before your task is due, message me privately to make sure I know and I'll mark your essay properly as first priority!  ;D

abiksmith

• Adventurer
  • School: St Columba Anglican School
« Reply #110 on: February 29, 2016, 07:05:56 pm »
Hi,
Please help, this essay is for Module A, we are doing Julius Caesar (Shakespeare) and The Prince (Machiavelli)

The question is “How has the treatment of similar content in a pair of texts shaped and reshaped your understanding of the values and attitudes of their differing contexts.”

I am struggling to write a conclusion

Niccolo Machiavelli and William Shakespeare both demonstrate their prowess in their respective texts, The Prince (1532), and Julius Caesar (1599) by addressing issues relevant to the contexts in which they were created. The purpose of Machiavelli’s The Prince was to highlight to the Medici Family how to be a good leader in the early Renaissance period. Whereas, Shakespeare wrote Julius Caesar to address his Elizabethan audience allegorically commenting on the power struggle of late Renaissance England. Shakespeare represents an array of characters who display many Machiavellian “leadership” characteristics. Ideas on successful leadership are initially shaped in Machiavelli’s treatise, and are again reshaped when considering Shakespeare’s representation of various characters of the conspiracy and aftermath of Caesar’s assassination. Machiavelli said great leaders should possess intelligence, acquire and utilise information for his or her needs through fear, ruthlessness and brutality when necessary. Examples of these characteristics in Julius Caesar, can be seen through select character’s dialogue, their actions towards other characters and the way their fellow characters describe them. While Shakespeare’s characters do not fully ascribe to all Machiavellian leadership qualities, t understood that there were moments when the ideal qualities Machiavelli explained in The Prince, become apparent in Shakespeare’s characters,  Cassius, Brutus, Mark Antony and Julius Caesar.

One trait that Machiavelli explored was the need for a successful leader to be intelligent. Not just scholarly, but more so wisdom. He explains in Chapter 20: Are Fortresses, And Many Other Things To Which Princes Often Resort, Advantageous Or Hurtful? that “...the first method for estimating intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.” (Chpt. 20) Similarly, Shakespeare portrays Caesar’s level of intelligence by looking at the men he surrounds himself with, through dialogue Caesar states, “Let me have men about me that are fat/ Sleek-headed men, and such as sleep a-nights.” (Act 1 scene 2)  Caesar states further on in a conversation with Antony that Cassius is the opposite of the people he wants to be surrounded by, “Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look/ He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.” (Act 1 scene 2) His authoritative tone describes Cassius as looking “lean and hungry,” Caesar feels threatened that Cassius “thinks too much,” meaning he is wise. The audience could compare Cassius to a fox’s cunning and sly characteristics, Cassius’ “hungry look” metaphorically represents his desire for power and control. Unfortunately, Caesar did not conform to Machiavelli’s leadership necessities, meaning that Caesar lacked the intelligence of a leader, surrounding himself with only “yes men.” By only wanting “fat, sleek-headed men” around him, rather than knowledgeable and intelligent men, who may have warned him about the conspirators or the warning signs leading up to his assassination.

When a leader has a high level of intelligence, he is able to manipulate that in ways to benefit himself and “win over” the masses. Machiavelli ensured this idea was reinforced throughout his novel to highlight its importance in a successful leader. Stating that a leader should never “...attempt to win by force what can be won by deception.” (REF) Shakespeare’s character, Mark Antony, uses his intelligence and wit to manipulate not only the conspirators into letting him address the crowd but also change the alliance of the crowd. Antony begins his speech with a statement he will later contradict and invert, “Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears; I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.” (Act 3 scene 2) His emotive language and factual tone, slowly manipulates the crowd as his speech goes on. He justifies the conspirators actions in assassinating Caesar by declaring that “Brutus is an honourable man,” but later turns this phrase around rhetorically and sarcastically saying just how “honourable” Brutus is. Shakespeare used repetition in the speech, each time Antony states “Brutus is an honourable man,” (Act 3 scene 2) the line loses its validity and meaning. The masses begin to question Brutus’ intentions and prior actions. “ I thrice presented him a kingly crown,/ Which he did thrice refuse. Was this ambition?/ Yet Brutus says he was ambitious,/ And sure he is an honourable man.” (Act 3 scene 2) Further on in Julius Caesar, Antony successfully displays the manipulation of a crowd when he produces Caesar’s will, but refuses to read it, therefore withholding information to generate suspense in the crowd. Machiavelli stated that a leader “...must learn how not to be good, and use knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires,” (REF) in order to maintain his authority. In Antony’s choice to prolong the reading of Caesar's will, he creates suspense and distracts the crowd, which causes them to forget about the will. Antony successfully manipulates the crowd, returning their loyalty to Caesar, eventually encouraging them to right the injustice of Caesar’s assassination.

Machiavelli highlights early on in The Prince, that it is far more important “...to be feared than loved if you cannot be both,” (REF) as people will almost always “bow down” to fear, especially when there are consequences involved. Contrastingly, in modern-day society we know that, “Ultimately, fear is a negative emotion. Sure, in the right circumstances it can be used effectively. It can drive needed change quickly,” according to the 3 Most Common Downfalls of Leaders.  Shakespeare demonstrated this fear that drove change when the conspirators assassinated Caesar. Brutus states assertively, “It was not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rome more.” (Act 3 scene 2) This justifies the killing to the masses, leading them to believe that Caesar’s death was in their best interests, when it was actually to ensure the aristocracy did not lose their power. The battle between fear and love in Julius Caesar,  can be summarised in one line uttered in confusion by Caesar as he is killed, “Et tu, Brute!” Caesar’s surprise can be understood by Shakespeare’s audience, as it is an unlikely action taken by someone Caesar trusted. The way in which the conspirators elected to kill Caesar could be seen as cowardly and brutal, they all “ganged up” on him, and went behind his back, literally, in order to accomplish the murder.

Another trait that Machiavelli stated was important for a prosperous leader, is the ability to be ruthless and brutal towards those who wrong them, “If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.” (REF) The brutally honest, factual way Machiavelli states this allows the readers to understand plainly just how important ruthlessness and brutality is in a leader. Brutus and Cassius both conform to this Machiavellian characteristic when they kill Caesar, stabbing him thirty-three times. In the aftermath of the murder, Brutus triumphantly commands the rest of the conspirators “Stoop, Romans, stoop,/ And let us bathe our hands in Caesar’s blood/Up to the elbows, and besmear our swords.” (Act 3 scene 2) This dialogue is conveyed in a proud manner, the conspirators parade around the streets of Rome shouting, “...Peace, freedom and liberty!” (Act 3 scene 2) Brutus believes that he has Rome’s best interests at hand when the assassination occurs.

(REF) stands for reference

Thanks again

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #111 on: February 29, 2016, 11:32:52 pm »
Hi,
Please help, this essay is for Module A, we are doing Julius Caesar (Shakespeare) and The Prince (Machiavelli)
Thanks again

Hi abiksmith! Thanks for posting your essay.

Unfortunately, we've recently had to restrict essay marking to those who've been participating in the community and have 5 or more posts from their account . The reason for this is that, essentially, we want to keep giving awesome feedback. Essay marking is extremely demanding of one's time and the entire service becomes useless if too many people use it: Either we'd have massive backlogs, or feedback would be nowhere near as helpful.

I am very sorry to turn you down, but we're under strict instructions from Brenden to abide by the rule. Try spending some time around our forums, post some grateful comments, some suggestions, ask/answer a question, anything that is useful to you! Once you hit the threshold let us know and we'll definitely give you some great feedback for your essay!   ;D

cynthianguyen_

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Moorebank High School
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2016, 02:29:35 pm »
Hey ATAR Notes,

I was wondering if you could help me out with an assessment question we are doing at school. It is a speech on W.B.Yeats' selected poetry. Out of the 4 poems we were given, I chose "Wild Swans At Coole" (more personal) and "Easter 1916". The question is:

“It is the tension, between the personal and political that creates interest in Yeats’ poetry”

What I wanted to ask was for you to clarify what the tension between the personal and political actually is. I'm not to sure how it relates to W.B.Yeats. Also if you could give us some arguments that we could use and revolve our analysis around, that would be super awesome!!

Thanks guys,
Cynthia :)
Year 12

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2016, 07:20:05 pm »
Hi,

The question is “How has the treatment of similar content in a pair of texts shaped and reshaped your understanding of the values and attitudes of their differing contexts.”

Thanks again

Hey there! I'm happy to see you on the threads :)

Here is your original essay, unmarked:
Spoiler
Niccolo Machiavelli and William Shakespeare both demonstrate their prowess in their respective texts, The Prince (1532), and Julius Caesar (1599) by addressing issues relevant to the contexts in which they were created. The purpose of Machiavelli’s The Prince was to highlight to the Medici Family how to be a good leader in the early Renaissance period. Whereas, Shakespeare wrote Julius Caesar to address his Elizabethan audience allegorically commenting on the power struggle of late Renaissance England. Shakespeare represents an array of characters who display many Machiavellian “leadership” characteristics. Ideas on successful leadership are initially shaped in Machiavelli’s treatise, and are again reshaped when considering Shakespeare’s representation of various characters of the conspiracy and aftermath of Caesar’s assassination. Machiavelli said great leaders should possess intelligence, acquire and utilise information for his or her needs through fear, ruthlessness and brutality when necessary. Examples of these characteristics in Julius Caesar, can be seen through select character’s dialogue, their actions towards other characters and the way their fellow characters describe them. While Shakespeare’s characters do not fully ascribe to all Machiavellian leadership qualities, t understood that there were moments when the ideal qualities Machiavelli explained in The Prince, become apparent in Shakespeare’s characters,  Cassius, Brutus, Mark Antony and Julius Caesar.

One trait that Machiavelli explored was the need for a successful leader to be intelligent. Not just scholarly, but more so wisdom. He explains in Chapter 20: Are Fortresses, And Many Other Things To Which Princes Often Resort, Advantageous Or Hurtful? that “...the first method for estimating intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.” (Chpt. 20) Similarly, Shakespeare portrays Caesar’s level of intelligence by looking at the men he surrounds himself with, through dialogue Caesar states, “Let me have men about me that are fat/ Sleek-headed men, and such as sleep a-nights.” (Act 1 scene 2)  Caesar states further on in a conversation with Antony that Cassius is the opposite of the people he wants to be surrounded by, “Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look/ He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.” (Act 1 scene 2) His authoritative tone describes Cassius as looking “lean and hungry,” Caesar feels threatened that Cassius “thinks too much,” meaning he is wise. The audience could compare Cassius to a fox’s cunning and sly characteristics, Cassius’ “hungry look” metaphorically represents his desire for power and control. Unfortunately, Caesar did not conform to Machiavelli’s leadership necessities, meaning that Caesar lacked the intelligence of a leader, surrounding himself with only “yes men.” By only wanting “fat, sleek-headed men” around him, rather than knowledgeable and intelligent men, who may have warned him about the conspirators or the warning signs leading up to his assassination.

When a leader has a high level of intelligence, he is able to manipulate that in ways to benefit himself and “win over” the masses. Machiavelli ensured this idea was reinforced throughout his novel to highlight its importance in a successful leader. Stating that a leader should never “...attempt to win by force what can be won by deception.” (REF) Shakespeare’s character, Mark Antony, uses his intelligence and wit to manipulate not only the conspirators into letting him address the crowd but also change the alliance of the crowd. Antony begins his speech with a statement he will later contradict and invert, “Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears; I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.” (Act 3 scene 2) His emotive language and factual tone, slowly manipulates the crowd as his speech goes on. He justifies the conspirators actions in assassinating Caesar by declaring that “Brutus is an honourable man,” but later turns this phrase around rhetorically and sarcastically saying just how “honourable” Brutus is. Shakespeare used repetition in the speech, each time Antony states “Brutus is an honourable man,” (Act 3 scene 2) the line loses its validity and meaning. The masses begin to question Brutus’ intentions and prior actions. “ I thrice presented him a kingly crown,/ Which he did thrice refuse. Was this ambition?/ Yet Brutus says he was ambitious,/ And sure he is an honourable man.” (Act 3 scene 2) Further on in Julius Caesar, Antony successfully displays the manipulation of a crowd when he produces Caesar’s will, but refuses to read it, therefore withholding information to generate suspense in the crowd. Machiavelli stated that a leader “...must learn how not to be good, and use knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires,” (REF) in order to maintain his authority. In Antony’s choice to prolong the reading of Caesar's will, he creates suspense and distracts the crowd, which causes them to forget about the will. Antony successfully manipulates the crowd, returning their loyalty to Caesar, eventually encouraging them to right the injustice of Caesar’s assassination.

Machiavelli highlights early on in The Prince, that it is far more important “...to be feared than loved if you cannot be both,” (REF) as people will almost always “bow down” to fear, especially when there are consequences involved. Contrastingly, in modern-day society we know that, “Ultimately, fear is a negative emotion. Sure, in the right circumstances it can be used effectively. It can drive needed change quickly,” according to the 3 Most Common Downfalls of Leaders.  Shakespeare demonstrated this fear that drove change when the conspirators assassinated Caesar. Brutus states assertively, “It was not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rome more.” (Act 3 scene 2) This justifies the killing to the masses, leading them to believe that Caesar’s death was in their best interests, when it was actually to ensure the aristocracy did not lose their power. The battle between fear and love in Julius Caesar,  can be summarised in one line uttered in confusion by Caesar as he is killed, “Et tu, Brute!” Caesar’s surprise can be understood by Shakespeare’s audience, as it is an unlikely action taken by someone Caesar trusted. The way in which the conspirators elected to kill Caesar could be seen as cowardly and brutal, they all “ganged up” on him, and went behind his back, literally, in order to accomplish the murder.

Another trait that Machiavelli stated was important for a prosperous leader, is the ability to be ruthless and brutal towards those who wrong them, “If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.” (REF) The brutally honest, factual way Machiavelli states this allows the readers to understand plainly just how important ruthlessness and brutality is in a leader. Brutus and Cassius both conform to this Machiavellian characteristic when they kill Caesar, stabbing him thirty-three times. In the aftermath of the murder, Brutus triumphantly commands the rest of the conspirators “Stoop, Romans, stoop,/ And let us bathe our hands in Caesar’s blood/Up to the elbows, and besmear our swords.” (Act 3 scene 2) This dialogue is conveyed in a proud manner, the conspirators parade around the streets of Rome shouting, “...Peace, freedom and liberty!” (Act 3 scene 2) Brutus believes that he has Rome’s best interests at hand when the assassination occurs.

Here is your essay with my comments written in bold so that you can see what I'm thinking upon my first reading.
Spoiler
Niccolo Machiavelli and William Shakespeare both demonstrate their prowess in their respective texts, The Prince (1532), and Julius Caesar (1599) by addressing issues relevant to the contexts in which they were created. The purpose of Machiavelli’s The Prince was (It is best to talk about texts in the present tense. "The purpose of Machiavelli's The Prince is to highlight..." If you think this reads awkwardly, you can change the syntax so this reads as, "Machiavelli's The Prince was made with the purpose of..." to highlight to the Medici Family how to be a good leader in the early Renaissance period. Whereas, Shakespeare wrote Julius Caesar to address his Elizabethan audience(you need a comma here for this to read better) allegorically commenting on the power struggle of late Renaissance England. Shakespeare represents an array of characters who display many Machiavellian “leadership” characteristics. Ideas on successful leadership are initially shaped in Machiavelli’s treatise, and are again reshaped when considering Shakespeare’s representation of various characters of the conspiracy and aftermath of Caesar’s assassination. Machiavelli said (Rather than “said” I think you should use proposed)great leaders should possess intelligence, acquire and utilise information for his or her needs through fear, ruthlessness and brutality when necessary. Examples of these characteristics in Julius Caesar, can be seen through select character’s dialogue, their actions towards other characters and the way their fellow characters describe them. While Shakespeare’s characters do not fully ascribe to all Machiavellian leadership qualities, t understood that there were moments when the ideal qualities Machiavelli explained in The Prince, become apparent in Shakespeare’s characters,  Cassius, Brutus, Mark Antony and Julius Caesar. Towards the end here you have gone into technical analysis. Even though it isn’t thorough, it is a bit too soon considering the length of your introduction. Your introduction is very long! You can cut down on words by shortening this last part. Instead, try (this is a rough example – needs tidying): The possession of intelligence, as well as the use of ruthless manipulation of fear, that Machiavelli suggests as being traits of a quality leader are observed in several of Shakespeare’s characters.” Obviously what I’ve suggested needs tidying. Essentially I’ve tried to combine the two texts into the one. If there is one more thing I will suggest you do ADD, it is bringing it back to the values and attitudes because this is your essay question.

One trait that Machiavelli explored was the need for a successful leader to be intelligent. Not just scholarly, but more so wisdomScholarly is an adjective but wisdom is a noun. In this instance they are incomparable. Do you mean wise? Furthermore, before you enter the textual referencing, I think you need to talk about values or attitudes, even if it means replacing the word trait. Your essay needs strong direction of the question. He explains in Chapter 20: Are Fortresses, And Many Other Things To Which Princes Often Resort, Advantageous Or Hurtful? that “...the first method for estimating intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.” (Chpt. 20) Similarly, Shakespeare portrays Caesar’s level of intelligence by looking at the men he surrounds himself with, through dialogue Caesar states, “Let me have men about me that are fat/ Sleek-headed men, and such as sleep a-nights.” (Act 1 scene 2) Caesar states further on in a conversation with Antony that Cassius is the opposite of the people he wants to be surrounded by, “Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look/ He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.” (Act 1 scene 2) His authoritative tone describes Cassius as looking “lean and hungry,” Caesar feels threatened that Cassius “thinks too much,” meaning he is wise. The audience could compare Cassius to a fox’s cunning and sly characteristics, Cassius’ “hungry look” metaphorically represents his desire for power and control. Unfortunately, Caesar did not conform to Machiavelli’s leadership necessities, meaning that Caesar lacked the intelligence of a leader, surrounding himself with only “yes men.” By only wanting “fat, sleek-headed men” around him, rather than knowledgeable and intelligent men, who may have warned him about the conspirators or the warning signs leading up to his assassination.  Your textual referencing here is absolutely wonderful. The way that you are approaching quotes that are embedded is truly impressive! Unfortunately, you don’t address the question heavily here. You haven’t focused on the contexts, attitudes and values. I can see that your paragraph is directed by intelligence which is a great thread between the texts. But, you will need to explicitly reference the question.

When a leader has a high level of intelligence, he is able to manipulate that in ways to benefit himself and “win over” the masses. Machiavelli ensured this idea was reinforced throughout his novel to highlight its importance in a successful leader. Here is a good opportunity to say why he says this. What were the attitudes of the time? What was the context? The context involved enough serfdom, which is the masses you talk about. So a strong leader was necessary. But, there are always ulterior motives. This needs to be evident in your dealing with context in order to successfully address the question. Stating that a leader should never “...attempt to win by force what can be won by deception.” (REF) Shakespeare’s character, Mark Antony, uses his intelligence and wit to manipulate not only the conspirators into letting him address the crowd but also change the alliance of the crowd. Antony begins his speech with a statement he will later contradict and invert, “Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears; I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.” (Act 3 scene 2) His emotive language and factual tone, slowly manipulates the crowd as his speech goes on. He justifies the conspirators actions in assassinating Caesar by declaring that “Brutus is an honourable man,” but later turns this phrase around rhetorically and sarcastically saying just how “honourable” Brutus is. Shakespeare used repetition in the speech, each time Antony states “Brutus is an honourable man,” (Act 3 scene 2) the line loses its validity and meaning. The masses begin to question Brutus’ intentions and prior actions. “ I thrice presented him a kingly crown,/ Which he did thrice refuse. Was this ambition?/ Yet Brutus says he was ambitious,/ And sure he is an honourable man.” (Act 3 scene 2) Further on in Julius Caesar, Antony successfully displays the manipulation of a crowd when he produces Caesar’s will, but refuses to read it, therefore withholding information to generate suspense in the crowd. Machiavelli stated that a leader “...must learn how not to be good, and use knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires,” (REF) in order to maintain his authority. In Antony’s choice to prolong the reading of Caesar's will, he creates suspense and distracts the crowd, which causes them to forget about the will. Antony successfully manipulates the crowd, returning their loyalty to Caesar, eventually encouraging them to right the injustice of Caesar’s assassination. What I suggested for last paragraph stands. We haven’t dealt with context enough just yet. When you talk about context, you will naturally talk about the values and attitudes. You don’t have to give a lot of sentence space to this, you just need to relate the importance of what is happening in the text back to the context appropriately. Probably moreso than any other Module, Module A requires serious context details.

People debate over whether or not starting a paragraph with a quote is fine. You should probably speak to your teacher about this. In my experience, I found that the paragraph seemed more wholesome if I removed the first sentence from textual referencing. Machiavelli highlights early on in The Prince, that it is far more important “...to be feared than loved if you cannot be both,” (REF) as people will almost always “bow down” to fear, especially when there are consequences involved. Contrastingly, in modern-day society we know that, “Ultimately, fear is a negative emotion. Sure, in the right circumstances it can be used effectively. It can drive needed change quickly,” according to the 3 Most Common Downfalls of Leaders.  Shakespeare demonstrated this fear that drove change when the conspirators assassinated Caesar. Brutus states assertively, “It was not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rome more.” (Act 3 scene 2) This justifies the killing to the masses, leading them to believe that Caesar’s death was in their best interests, when it was actually to ensure the aristocracy did not lose their power. The battle between fear and love in Julius Caesar,  can be summarised in one line uttered in confusion by Caesar as he is killed, “Et tu, Brute!” Caesar’s surprise can be understood by Shakespeare’s audience, as it is an unlikely action taken by someone Caesar trusted. The way in which the conspirators elected to kill Caesar could be seen as cowardly and brutal, they all “ganged up” on him, and went behind his back, literally, in order to accomplish the murder.

Another trait that Machiavelli stated was important for a prosperous leader, is the ability to be ruthless and brutal towards those who wrong them, “If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.” For this first sentence, reference the above paragraph’s comment. (REF) The brutally honest, factual way Machiavelli states this allows the readers to understand plainly just how important ruthlessness and brutality is in a leader. Brutus and Cassius both conform to this Machiavellian characteristic when they kill Caesar, stabbing him thirty-three times. In the aftermath of the murder, Brutus triumphantly commands the rest of the conspirators “Stoop, Romans, stoop,/ And let us bathe our hands in Caesar’s blood/Up to the elbows, and besmear our swords.” (Act 3 scene 2) This dialogue is conveyed in a proud manner, the conspirators parade around the streets of Rome shouting, “...Peace, freedom and liberty!” (Act 3 scene 2) Brutus believes that he has Rome’s best interests at hand when the assassination occurs.

End Notes:
Your textual referencing is superior - as is your integration of texts! You do this so so so well. What you need to work on is involving the question more. You've mentioned the Elizabethan audience at the beginning - but then I don't see a great lot of context for Shakespeare afterwards. The words attitudes and values need to appear in a stronger and more frequent way. I suggest that although you should weave them into your paragraphs, you end the paragraph with a sentence that draws it back in.

As for your conclusion: this is another opportunity to address the question well. Here is a scaffold that I will propose:

-Explicitly answer the question
-Deal with Machiavelli's context and the purpose for his work.
-Deal with Shakespeare's context and his purpose.
-Directly link between why the attitudes and values of Machiavelli are relevant yet reshaped in Shakespeare's text.
-Tie back into the question again.

Once you nail answering the question - there is very little left for you to work on! You're doing super well. Your essay gains so so much integrity when you deal with the question in an integrated and sophisticated manner.

Good luck! Don't be afraid to message back! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2016, 10:48:33 am »
Hey ATAR Notes,

I was wondering if you could help me out with an assessment question we are doing at school. It is a speech on W.B.Yeats' selected poetry. Out of the 4 poems we were given, I chose "Wild Swans At Coole" (more personal) and "Easter 1916". The question is:

“It is the tension, between the personal and political that creates interest in Yeats’ poetry”

What I wanted to ask was for you to clarify what the tension between the personal and political actually is. I'm not to sure how it relates to W.B.Yeats. Also if you could give us some arguments that we could use and revolve our analysis around, that would be super awesome!!

Thanks guys,
Cynthia :)
Year 12

Hey Cynthia! I studied W B Yeats and I just loved that Module. I'll start by pointing a few things out to you about Yeats and his poetry.

-Yeats was generally quite a peaceful man. You can see this if you compare him, the poet, to the heroic men he mentions in Easter 1916.
-All of his poetry contains tension. If you want to prepare a Module B thesis that you can hopefully apply to anything: tension is the way to go.
-There is tension in Wild Swans: permanent/changing, youth/old, swans/humans, seasons.
-There is tension in Easter 1916: Yeats gives credited mention to the abusive lover of the woman Yeats loves, the tension between Ireland being traditional and Ireland coming of age and the tension between the personal and the political - as Yeats writes about a political issue in an intensely personal way (through poetry).

In saying this, Wild Swans at Coole doesn't offer a lot in terms of politics. My reading of the poem is that it is completely about internal conflict and turmoil in finding certainty in himself.

If you are using these two texts, the best way to approach the question I think, is to compare how vast Yeats' oeuvre is. So you kind of agree but disagree with the question. This is your essay question:

You could say that the tension between the personal and the political is important in some aspects of his poetry, but tension is explored on many levels, which is what makes his poetry interesting.

If you had substituted Wild Swans for The Irish Airman Foresees his Death or Leda and the Swan, then you would have an easier time making the personal/political connection. Otherwise, Wild Swans is definitely the most universal poem in my eyes so it is great that you are doing an indepth study of it now!

Here are some scholarly quotes about Easter 1916 that may help you:

"Tied by birth to unionism, memorialist of the executed Nationalist rebels of 1916, W. B. Yeats mirrored Ireland's divisions in his self-divisions -- yet saw the island as a single cultural entity sprung from common roots in common myths." – Seamus Heaney

The spectacle of a poet's work invigorated by his lifelong struggle against the artistic inertia of his nation is one that would shed strong light into any era." –Louise Bogan

Here are some scholarly quotes about Wild Swans at Coole that may help you:

“Appeared during a significant movement in the poet’s life and stands therein as a crucial turning point in his relation to the poetic task.” – Andrew Gates.

“Yet, although his melancholy looms throughout the poem, Yeats succeeds in establishing, by the very structure of the poem, a response to it, transcending his individual despair through the creation of the poetic object itself.” – Andrew Gates.

In my eyes, the essay question doesn't lend itself to the Wild Swans at Coole. However, you can always make it work! :)

chuckiecheese

• Adventurer
  • School: Trinity Catholic College Lismore
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2016, 08:40:11 pm »
Hey guys,

This is a kind of semi-dodgy Mod B Yeats Essay. Any criticism would be unreal!

Cheers

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2016, 08:42:13 am »
Hi, i am currently studying Module A (The Prince and Julius Caesar), it would be great if you could take a look at my essay.
 Thanks, i have attached it

Hey Alex!!
Thank you for posting, we are really keen to take a look at your work. Unfortunately, we can't do that until you've made 5 posts on ATAR Notes. You've made two so far, so make three more and we will help you out. The reason for this is, the service is overwhelmed so we need to make sure that the people who want it the most receive the highest quality feedback. You can post on any forum, asking questions, saying thanks, or even answering questions!

Hopefully we will see you back soon :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2016, 09:50:49 am »
Hey guys,

This is a kind of semi-dodgy Mod B Yeats Essay. Any criticism would be unreal!

Cheers

Hey there! I'm ridiculously sorry that this has taken so long - somehow you got lost in the shuffle :(

Here is your original essay:
Spoiler
"From the poems you have studied in detail, what have you identified as three of Yeats' concerns and how does he represent these concerns? Refer to three poems of your own choice"

Yeats addresses his concerns through the poetic form to directly consolidate and stress their overall importance. The presentation of Yeats’ concerns is addressed directly through a dichotomy of ideas and thus explores thoroughly the concerns inherent in the human condition, for example: the concern of mortality and immortality, the concern of man and the spiritual realm and the concern of the literal and the imaginative. Yeats foregrounds these concerns through the specific use of enjambment, repetition, and imagery, among other techniques, in the poems ‘The Wild Swans at Coole’, ‘Leda and the Swan’, ‘Among School Children’, thus revealing his thorough investigation into these concerns.

John McGuirk (2003) suggests that the significance of Yeats’ poetry lies in his consideration of the “universal paradigms of permanence and flux.” Whilst this is evident in a number of his poems, especially ‘Easter 1916’, a more critical deconstruction of Yeats’ poetry reveals the concerns of mortality and immortality, of man and the spiritual realm, and of the literal and the imaginative to be of much more significance.

The concern of mortality and immortality is particularly evident in Yeats’ 1919 ‘The Wild Swans at Coole’. The poem is based upon the idea of transition and dealing with change, especially as ones life progresses with age and time. The swans evident in the poem symbolise what Yeats cannot achieve in his ageing and mortal life, as they are depicted as immortal and ethereal and thus can achieve anything whilst he cannot. The constant repetition of ‘still’ in the second, fourth and fifth stanzas conveys a sense of stillness, which is in direct contrast to the swans “suddenly” flying away in the third stanza. This is symbolizing Yeats’ view of his own life at the time, as well as the stages of stillness and confusion he experienced. Yeats’ concern of mortality and immortality is especially evident in this poem.

It can be said that Yeats’ poetry is so broad that it begins to question the great mythological narratives and their meaning, and thus the concern of man and the spiritual realm. This is particularly observable in his 1928 ‘Leda and the Swan’. In Greek mythology, Zeus visited Leda in the form of a swan. Once again the symbol of the tranquil and virgin swan is present in the body of Yeats’ poetry. Yeats viewed Zeus’s visit and violent act of love to Leda as an ‘annunciation’, thus the culture, philosophy and civilisation created by mankind can be seen as being abused by forces that transcend our realm and reach the spiritual realm, and therefore the implications of which are out of mankind’s control. The poem is also a sonnet, which conventionally is associated with love, however, as Yeats takes view the that Zeus’s visit and violent act of love to Leda is an ‘annunciation’, it can be said that the violent and destructive imagery distorts the usual elements of the traditionally romantic sonnet. The destructive and cataclysmic imagery Yeats presents in the poem: “…staggering, helpless, terrified,” conveys a sense of drastic fear being experienced by Leda. The broad nature of Yeats’ poetry extends so much that it questions the conventional nature of mythological narratives, and thus presents the concern of man and the spiritual realm.

At the time of writing ‘Among School Children’, in 1928, Yeats was a sixty-year-old senator, exploring the literal and the imaginative in his old age. The poem swiftly moves from a direct consideration of the children who he is visiting to Yeats’ early love, Maud Gonne, and then to a passionate conclusion in which all of Yeats’ platonic thinking blends together, questioning the basis of human existence in its entirety. Yeats switches between being in the present, literally among the school children, to being in a “dream like state.” The employment of enjambment dissolves the steady rhythm of the poem and thus gives the poem a sense of urgency, which Yeats would have felt between the literal and the imaginative. The urgency is expressed through Yeats’ state of mind, as he is present at the school but his imagination is not in the present, rather it is in the past. Yeats delves extremely deep in his exploration of the concern of the literal and the imaginative in ‘Among School Children.’

The choice by Yeats to discern and abridge his ideas through poetic form is deliberate as it allows him to be direct and concise in the expression of his concerns. Indefinitely, Yeats explores thoroughly the concerns of mortality and immortality, of man and the spiritual realm, and of the literal and the imaginative throughout the body of his works, including but not limited to, ‘The Wild Swans at Coole’, ‘Leda and the Swan’, and ‘Among School Children.’ All of Yeats’ concerns are explored and addressed thoroughly through the use of many techniques to stress their overarching importance.

Here is my feedback on your essay, written in bold:
Spoiler
"From the poems you have studied in detail, what have you identified as three of Yeats' concerns and how does he represent these concerns? Refer to three poems of your own choice"
First of all, three poems is rough! I only ever tackled two at a time.

Yeats addresses his concerns through the poetic form to directly consolidate and stress their When you say "their" are you referring to the concerns? The overall importance of the concerns? I would try this, "Yeats' poetic oeuvre directly addresses his personal concerns regarding the world around him." Or something to this effect. The first sentence is a bit clumsy. Which happens, of course! You just need to work on your opening so that it is really punchy. You'd even need to alter the one I'm suggesting. I've suggested it because it has more direction. overall importance. The presentation of Yeats’ concerns is addressed You used "addressed" last sentence. I also don't think it is the most effective word to use here. I would flip your syntax:
The interplay of dichotomous ideas in Yeats' work thoroughly explores the concerns inherent within..."
directly through a dichotomy of ideas and thus explores thoroughly the concerns inherent in the human condition, for example: "For example" works in a way that shows you are inviting the reader to think about a number of notions, rather than showing them that YOU have already thought about them. I would end your last sentence before the "for example" and open the new sentence all fresh and new. the concern of mortality and immortality, the concern of man and the spiritual realm and the concern of the literal and the imaginative. You repeat "the concern of". Either say this once and list the concerns, or use synonyms.Yeats foregrounds these concerns through the specific use of enjambment, repetition, and imagery, among other techniques, in the poems ‘The Wild Swans at Coole’, ‘Leda and the Swan’, ‘Among School Children’, thus revealing his thorough investigation into these concerns.
Now that I see which poems you wish to address, I would actually name the poem, and identify the concern that manifests within. Rather than list the concerns and list the poem titles, you should consider connecting a poem with a concern, but also mentioning that many of the concerns flow through the oeuvre.

John McGuirk (2003) suggests that the significance of Yeats’ poetry lies in his consideration of the “universal paradigms of permanence and flux.” Whilst this is evident in a number of his poems, especially ‘Easter 1916’, a more critical deconstruction of Yeats’ poetry reveals the concerns of mortality and immortality, of man and the spiritual realm, and of the literal and the imaginative to be of much more significance. The old Module B syllabus required scholarly readings. Now, you do not have to use them. I would, as long as you show how their personal response has informed your personal response, because that's what this module is. So I wouldn't give a whole sentence to this guy, I would actually embed his quote in your own sentence to make it clear that it has informed your personal response.

The concern of mortality and immortality is particularly evident in Yeats’ 1919 ‘The Wild Swans at Coole’. The poem is based upon the idea of transition and dealing with change, especially as ones life progresses with age and time. The swans evident You've used evident twice (Also, I would use a short quote here to describe the vitality of the swans)in the poem symbolise what Yeats cannot achieve in his ageing and mortal life, as they are depicted as immortal and ethereal and thus can achieve anything whilst he cannot. The constant repetition of ‘still’ in the second, fourth and fifth stanzas conveys a sense of stillness, Tautologous. Instead, try "stagnant" which is in direct contrast to the swans “suddenly” flying away in the third stanza. This is symbolizing Yeats’ view of his own life at the time, as well as the stages of stillness and confusion he experienced. Yeats’ concern of mortality and immortality is especially evident in this poem.

It can be said It can be? Or are you actually saying it? This module is about your personal response, so don't shy from telling the reader exactly what your response is. that Yeats’ poetry is so broad Broad? I would say deep, meaningful, etc, because talking about mythology isn't broad, it is actually quite specific that it begins to question the great mythological narratives and their meaning, and thus the concern of man and the spiritual realm. This is particularly observable in his 1928 poem ‘Leda and the Swan’. In Greek mythology, Zeus visited Leda in the form of a swan. Once again the symbol of the tranquil and virgin swan is present in the body of Yeats’ poetry. Yeats viewed Zeus’s visit and violent act of love to Leda as an ‘annunciation’, (Also a biblical allusion) thus the culture, philosophy and civilisation created by mankind can be seen as being abused by forces that transcend our realm and reach the spiritual realm, and therefore the implications of which are out of mankind’s control. The poem is also a sonnet, which conventionally is associated with love, however, as Yeats takes view the that Zeus’s visit and violent act of love to Leda is an ‘annunciation’, it can be said that the violent and destructive imagery distorts the usual elements of the traditionally romantic sonnet. The destructive and cataclysmic imagery Yeats presents in the poem: “…staggering, helpless, terrified,” conveys a sense of drastic fear being experienced by Leda. The broad nature of Yeats’ poetry extends so much that it questions the conventional nature of mythological narratives, and thus presents the concern of man and the spiritual realm.

At the time of writing ‘Among School Children’, in 1928, Yeats was a sixty-year-old senator, exploring the literal and the imaginative in his old age. The poem swiftly moves from a direct consideration of the children who he is visiting to Yeats’ early love, Maud Gonne, and then to a passionate conclusion in which all of Yeats’ platonic thinking blends together, questioning the basis of human existence in its entirety. Yeats switches between being in the present, literally among the school children, to being in a “dream like state.” The employment of enjambment dissolves the steady rhythm of the poem and thus gives the poem a sense of urgency, which Yeats would have felt between the literal and the imaginative. The urgency is expressed through Yeats’ state of mind, as he is present at the school but his imagination is not in the present, rather it is in the past. Yeats delves extremely deep in his exploration of the concern of the literal and the imaginative in ‘Among School Children.’

The choice by Yeats to discern and abridge his ideas through poetic form is deliberate as it allows him to be direct and concise in the expression of his concerns. Indefinitely, Yeats explores thoroughly the concerns of mortality and immortality, of man and the spiritual realm, and of the literal and the imaginative throughout the body of his works, including but not limited to, ‘The Wild Swans at Coole’, ‘Leda and the Swan’, and ‘Among School Children.’ All of Yeats’ concerns are explored and addressed thoroughly through the use of many techniques to stress their overarching importance.

I think you are unfortunately limited by the "three text" guideline in your essay. I have pointed out where expression should be improved - but there is room for a little more. Otherwise, your actual technical analysis and articulation of that is quite impressive.

The thing letting you down is the structure. Each text should be dealt with adequately with equal opportunity. Integration of the poems wouldn't hurt, only because it means you are showing that the concerns flow through the oeuvre. Remember to talk about the body of work as a whole, and then scoop in on each poem. Module B is difficult in that it has little intricacies like this, but when you get a hold on it, I'm sure it will be really positive for you. Your next step is to work on the structure, then work on dealing with the body of work as a whole and then as divided by poems. This essay is similar to where my own was at this time of year during my HSC. Build up a really good word bank specific to Mod B and Yeats, and then push forward from there :)

What's your favourite poem? Is it Wild Swans?

imtrying

• Trendsetter
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2016, 04:39:17 pm »
Module B Essay using speeches. Question is on the PDF.
Thankyou  :) :) :)
Year 12 2016 (94.20)
English (Adv), Maths Ext.1, Modern History, Biology and Physics

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2016, 05:16:44 pm »
hello :)
I was just wondering whether you could please give me some feedback and advice on my draft essay (Tempest + Related Text)? This is the first time I've done a related text (we didn't do one in year 11 for some obscure reason) so I've struggled a lot and not feeling that confident with it. I'm not sure if I've really answered the question (we had to make it up ourselves) or have sustained ideas in my paragraphs + it's way too long so please, give me as much feedback as you can!! Go hard or go home haha thankyou so much!

Module B Essay using speeches. Question is on the PDF.
Thankyou  :) :) :)

Hey there, you two! I'm really sorry - but before we have a look at this, I'll need to ask that you either post it as a word document or copy and paste your essay into a comment. The reason for this is, when I copy and paste the words from a PDF into the comment space for me to edit, it makes the paragraphs and line structure go crazy and it becomes really hard to edit properly! Sorry! If you post it back I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!