Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 05:29:29 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Essay Marking (Modules Only)  (Read 603129 times)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Re: English Advanced Essay Marking (Modules Only)
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2016, 09:57:07 am »
Hey English Professors:

Sorry to bother you with another piece of writing from me. This is a module A essay using a question from 2013 HSC exam. Thank you very much in advance for sparing your time to mark my essay it is really kind of you guys to do stuff like this!!!! :))))
Happy Physics Land, and ATAR Notes Legend like you never needs to be sorry!

Your essay without comments
Your essay with comments

In what ways is your appreciation of both texts enhanced by a comparative study of passion in Donne’s poetry and W; t? In your response, make detailed reference to your prescribed texts.

Appreciation towards texts is often enhanced through comparing the timeless notion of passion across different paradigmatic frameworks. This idea is demonstrated through the metaphysical poems This is My Playes Last Scene and A Valediction: forbidden mourning by John Donne and the metatheatrical, Brechtian-style play W;t (1995) by Margaret Edson. My appreciation towards the two texts has been enhanced due to a deepened understanding towards the human you don't need to say "human". it's a bit useless, like saying "my favourite number if the odd number of three". You don't need to say 'odd', because 'three' conveys odd, just like "concept of passion" conveys human. concept of passion This sentence is sort of, not doing much for you. You have a good introduction so far, but then you just stick this sentence into it: "My appreciation towards the two texts has been enhanced due to a deepened understanding towards the human concept of passion"... It's like having a good proof and getting towards the answer, only to add in a line of working that isn't helpful nor mathematically useful. The reason that the sentence is sort of, "not the best", is simply because it sort of restates the question. The question asks you IN WHAT WAYS is your appreciation enhanced. But this sentence of yours simply states that your appreciation IS enhanced. Now.... I know you've done this because your next sentence starts with "this is achieved through..." - which appears to be your overall thesis. You set up your thesis with this sentence, but you actually don't need to. Going back to the proof analogy. You could skip an ugly line of working to make the proof cleaner. In this scenario, omitting the sentence I'm talking about would be the same as skipping an ugly line of working. You could remove that sentence and just say.... "Ultimately, through comparing Donne’s Elizabethan passion for love and death to Vivian Bearing’s passion for literature and Jason’s passion for medical research in a 20th century modern context, a reader enhances their appreciation of the texts  by recognising the dominating nature of obsessive passion.. This is achieved through comparing Donne’s Elizabethan passion for love and death to Vivian Bearing’s passion for literature and Jason’s passion for medical research in a 20th century modern context.

Okay I talked a lot of shit about proofs and sentences in that introduction, so for a "in summary", just check the spoiler below. Otherwise, great introduction!!
In Summay
Your sentences: My appreciation towards the two texts has been enhanced due to a deepened understanding towards the human concept of passion. This is achieved through comparing Donne’s Elizabethan passion for love and death to Vivian Bearing’s passion for literature and Jason’s passion for medical research in a 20th century modern context.

My sentence: Ultimately, through comparing Donne’s Elizabethan passion for love and death to Vivian Bearing’s passion for literature and Jason’s passion for medical research in a 20th century modern context, a reader enhances their appreciation of the texts  by recognising the dominating nature of obsessive passion

You can see that I have colour coded the sentences. Mine has red and blue, and yours has blue and red. You use the blue to set up the red. But you don't need a set up. You can say "through x", "y happens". You don't need to say "Y is the case". "Y is the case because X'.

Strongly influenced by the hegemonic weltanschauung of Christianity, This is My Playes Last Scene portrays a passion for death through various metaphorical conceits cool opening sentence. The establishing sentence “This is my playes last scene, here heavens appoint” alludes to the inevitable death of tragic heroes in Shakespearian tragedies. Through the biblical imagery of heaven and the analogy comparing life to a dramatic play, the poet celebrates his death and ascension to a virtuous afterlife. In addition, the geometrical conceit in the first quatrain, “My spans last inch, minutes latest point” compares death to finale of a race, hence illustrating death as the most exciting part of life. Furthermore, the final quatrain “Impute me righteous, purg’d of evill … the flesh, the devil” juxtaposes vocabularies such as “righteous” and “evil” to suggest the dichotomy between the body and soul. The relieved tone suggests the poet’s passion for the spirit to be preserved, alleviated from the physical sins and devilish temptations.Cool, great first paragraph!

Likewise, W;t heightens the value of the poem by appropriating elements of Donne’s passion towards death into a 20th century American society dominated by biomedical discourse. Similar to Donne, Vivian Bearing in her soliloquy “a breath – a comma – separates life from life everlasting … it’s a comma, a pause” also employs a metaphorical conceit comparing a comma in a literal dimension to a metaphysical barrier between life and afterlife. The deliberate emphasis on the punctuation of comma being simply a pause in life portrays Bearing’s passion for an afterlife which is conveyed through her evident passion for literature. Moreover, the stage direction “She (Vivian) walks … towards a little light” adapts a similar notion of passion towards afterlife in heaven from This is My Playes Last Scene. The light is symbolic of Vivian’s liberation from the physical suffering she endures in modern western hospitals and ascension in heaven, which corresponds to notions delivered by Donne’s poem. Therefore, by resonating with Donne’s passion for death through a modern Western hospital setting, W;t has effectively articulated this concept to surpass the ephemeral and this valuable appropriation can be appreciated.

A Valediction: Forbidden Mourning conveys Donne’s intimate passion, reflective of the Elizabethan romance, towards his wife Anne through metaphysical conceits inspired by Galileo’s invention of compass. The hyperbole “Let us melt … No tear-floods, nor sigh tempests move” defines the gush of emotions the two lovers experience prior to their reluctant separation due to the unification of their physical bodies and souls, thus expressing an intense affection. Juxtaposing their love to merely a physical love, Donne depicts his fervour as spiritual through the simile “… an expansion, like gold to airy thinness boat” which suggests that their connected souls simply expands when physically separated. Moreover, the last three stanzas employ the metaphorical conceit of Galileo’s compass to suggest Donne’s undying love by placing Anne at the centre whilst Donne revolves around her. The two compass feet trace a circle which symbolises an eternal cycle of love as suggested through “Thy soul, the fixed foot … if the other do”. Therefore through embracing both physical emotions and spiritual love, Donne effectively manifests his passion with Anne.

In contrast, Edson’s W;t generically depicts 20th century Western society’s mechanical approach to life and a lack of passion towards human beings however profound affinity towards literatures and academic research. In contrast to Donne’s passion which revolves around an intimate and physical bond with a counterpart, both Jason and Bearing’s passions involve the segregation from mankind. Vivian’s acerbic tone towards her student “You can come to this class prepared, or you can excuse yourself from this class … Donne’s agile wit at work” depicts her apathy which originates from her passion for Donne’s poems. Her ignorance towards the student’s emotions, displayed through the stage direction “walks away  ... turns and addresses the class” portrays her self-indulgence in the microcosmic world of literature which consequently causes her alienation from others. Furthermore, Jason displays a strong passion in his scientific research however a lack of awareness towards surrounding human. A strong sense of situational irony is present when Jason contemptuously analogises clinicians to “troglodytes”; but in reality, Jason is the person who lives in seclusion, resembling Vivian Bearing, due to his overriding academic ambition. His direct reference to Bearing “she is research” in the final scene illustrates his passion for medical discourse however this passion has adversely led him to ignore the fundamental human rights. Evidently, both Vivian Bearing and Jason are apathetic towards human beings and their feelings which juxtapose the sensual passion portrayed by A Valediction: Forbidden Mourning. The significant differences between the two texts however accentuate that for individuals exposed under various cultural influences, the idea of passion may be interpreted differently. 

Through studying Donne’s poems in tandem with W;t, responders can appreciate a more profound insight into Donne’s poems through Vivian Bearing’s passionate monologues about literature. Audience of W;t harvest the knowledge that the concept of Donne’s poems is about overcoming insuperable barriers separating life, death and eternal life. Undertaking the role as the compere of the play, Vivian Bearing attempts to strengthen herself against death with the academic vigour of This is My Playes Last Scene. This vicarious experience analysing Donne’s poem illustrates her passion and through this passion and Bearing’s ultimate suffering, the audience can understand that intellectual powers of language have trivial effects in confronting the physical reality of death. This reality, despite unpleasant, can be appreciated due to its applications to 21th century world. The juxtaposition between the Jacobean loving passion which involves an intimate bond between lovers and the 20th century passion for medical research which involves the objectification of patients has helped audience to recognise destructive power of science which eradicates genuine human emotions.

Overall, an examination of passion represented differently under contrasting contexts which permeate each text has allowed the audience to extensively appreciate the power of texts to articulate core human concerns. This has been achieved through comparing the differing interpretations of passion in This is My Playes Last Scene, A Valediction: Forbidden Mourning and W;t. The similar passions towards death manifest that despite historical distances, notions of passion are capable of universalisation beyond their context.

Cool! Really great essay, well written, great analysis and good quoting.

The one lesson I want you to take out of this essay is the bits of green and red that I've highlighted in the last few paragraphs.

Green is good. Red is bad.

Green features active verbs, like "depicts" (depicted would be the not-active version), or "conveys" (conveyed being the non-active version).

Red  features sentences like "which is conveyed", which could be rearranged to "x conveys".

I've tried to highlight the patterns for you so you can see for yourself. Notice the similarities between the things I've hihglighted in gree, and the similarities between the things I've highlighted in red... and notice the difference between green and red highlighting.

Let me know if you need more explanation on this, because I'm pretty much just letting you do it yourself because I think you'll realise on your own to start using "es" words over "ed" words, and then sometimes integrating "es" with a comma and an "-ing" word.

✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
  • MAXIMISE your marks by MINIMISING your errors
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2016, 10:39:51 am »
Happy Physics Land, and ATAR Notes Legend like you never needs to be sorry!

Your essay without comments
Your essay with comments

In what ways is your appreciation of both texts enhanced by a comparative study of passion in Donne’s poetry and W; t? In your response, make detailed reference to your prescribed texts.

Appreciation towards texts is often enhanced through comparing the timeless notion of passion across different paradigmatic frameworks. This idea is demonstrated through the metaphysical poems This is My Playes Last Scene and A Valediction: forbidden mourning by John Donne and the metatheatrical, Brechtian-style play W;t (1995) by Margaret Edson. My appreciation towards the two texts has been enhanced due to a deepened understanding towards the human you don't need to say "human". it's a bit useless, like saying "my favourite number if the odd number of three". You don't need to say 'odd', because 'three' conveys odd, just like "concept of passion" conveys human. concept of passion This sentence is sort of, not doing much for you. You have a good introduction so far, but then you just stick this sentence into it: "My appreciation towards the two texts has been enhanced due to a deepened understanding towards the human concept of passion"... It's like having a good proof and getting towards the answer, only to add in a line of working that isn't helpful nor mathematically useful. The reason that the sentence is sort of, "not the best", is simply because it sort of restates the question. The question asks you IN WHAT WAYS is your appreciation enhanced. But this sentence of yours simply states that your appreciation IS enhanced. Now.... I know you've done this because your next sentence starts with "this is achieved through..." - which appears to be your overall thesis. You set up your thesis with this sentence, but you actually don't need to. Going back to the proof analogy. You could skip an ugly line of working to make the proof cleaner. In this scenario, omitting the sentence I'm talking about would be the same as skipping an ugly line of working. You could remove that sentence and just say.... "Ultimately, through comparing Donne’s Elizabethan passion for love and death to Vivian Bearing’s passion for literature and Jason’s passion for medical research in a 20th century modern context, a reader enhances their appreciation of the texts  by recognising the dominating nature of obsessive passion.. This is achieved through comparing Donne’s Elizabethan passion for love and death to Vivian Bearing’s passion for literature and Jason’s passion for medical research in a 20th century modern context.

Okay I talked a lot of shit about proofs and sentences in that introduction, so for a "in summary", just check the spoiler below. Otherwise, great introduction!!
In Summay
Your sentences: My appreciation towards the two texts has been enhanced due to a deepened understanding towards the human concept of passion. This is achieved through comparing Donne’s Elizabethan passion for love and death to Vivian Bearing’s passion for literature and Jason’s passion for medical research in a 20th century modern context.

My sentence: Ultimately, through comparing Donne’s Elizabethan passion for love and death to Vivian Bearing’s passion for literature and Jason’s passion for medical research in a 20th century modern context, a reader enhances their appreciation of the texts  by recognising the dominating nature of obsessive passion

You can see that I have colour coded the sentences. Mine has red and blue, and yours has blue and red. You use the blue to set up the red. But you don't need a set up. You can say "through x", "y happens". You don't need to say "Y is the case". "Y is the case because X'.

Strongly influenced by the hegemonic weltanschauung of Christianity, This is My Playes Last Scene portrays a passion for death through various metaphorical conceits cool opening sentence. The establishing sentence “This is my playes last scene, here heavens appoint” alludes to the inevitable death of tragic heroes in Shakespearian tragedies. Through the biblical imagery of heaven and the analogy comparing life to a dramatic play, the poet celebrates his death and ascension to a virtuous afterlife. In addition, the geometrical conceit in the first quatrain, “My spans last inch, minutes latest point” compares death to finale of a race, hence illustrating death as the most exciting part of life. Furthermore, the final quatrain “Impute me righteous, purg’d of evill … the flesh, the devil” juxtaposes vocabularies such as “righteous” and “evil” to suggest the dichotomy between the body and soul. The relieved tone suggests the poet’s passion for the spirit to be preserved, alleviated from the physical sins and devilish temptations.Cool, great first paragraph!

Likewise, W;t heightens the value of the poem by appropriating elements of Donne’s passion towards death into a 20th century American society dominated by biomedical discourse. Similar to Donne, Vivian Bearing in her soliloquy “a breath – a comma – separates life from life everlasting … it’s a comma, a pause” also employs a metaphorical conceit comparing a comma in a literal dimension to a metaphysical barrier between life and afterlife. The deliberate emphasis on the punctuation of comma being simply a pause in life portrays Bearing’s passion for an afterlife which is conveyed through her evident passion for literature. Moreover, the stage direction “She (Vivian) walks … towards a little light” adapts a similar notion of passion towards afterlife in heaven from This is My Playes Last Scene. The light is symbolic of Vivian’s liberation from the physical suffering she endures in modern western hospitals and ascension in heaven, which corresponds to notions delivered by Donne’s poem. Therefore, by resonating with Donne’s passion for death through a modern Western hospital setting, W;t has effectively articulated this concept to surpass the ephemeral and this valuable appropriation can be appreciated.

A Valediction: Forbidden Mourning conveys Donne’s intimate passion, reflective of the Elizabethan romance, towards his wife Anne through metaphysical conceits inspired by Galileo’s invention of compass. The hyperbole “Let us melt … No tear-floods, nor sigh tempests move” defines the gush of emotions the two lovers experience prior to their reluctant separation due to the unification of their physical bodies and souls, thus expressing an intense affection. Juxtaposing their love to merely a physical love, Donne depicts his fervour as spiritual through the simile “… an expansion, like gold to airy thinness boat” which suggests that their connected souls simply expands when physically separated. Moreover, the last three stanzas employ the metaphorical conceit of Galileo’s compass to suggest Donne’s undying love by placing Anne at the centre whilst Donne revolves around her. The two compass feet trace a circle which symbolises an eternal cycle of love as suggested through “Thy soul, the fixed foot … if the other do”. Therefore through embracing both physical emotions and spiritual love, Donne effectively manifests his passion with Anne.

In contrast, Edson’s W;t generically depicts 20th century Western society’s mechanical approach to life and a lack of passion towards human beings however profound affinity towards literatures and academic research. In contrast to Donne’s passion which revolves around an intimate and physical bond with a counterpart, both Jason and Bearing’s passions involve the segregation from mankind. Vivian’s acerbic tone towards her student “You can come to this class prepared, or you can excuse yourself from this class … Donne’s agile wit at work” depicts her apathy which originates from her passion for Donne’s poems. Her ignorance towards the student’s emotions, displayed through the stage direction “walks away  ... turns and addresses the class” portrays her self-indulgence in the microcosmic world of literature which consequently causes her alienation from others. Furthermore, Jason displays a strong passion in his scientific research however a lack of awareness towards surrounding human. A strong sense of situational irony is present when Jason contemptuously analogises clinicians to “troglodytes”; but in reality, Jason is the person who lives in seclusion, resembling Vivian Bearing, due to his overriding academic ambition. His direct reference to Bearing “she is research” in the final scene illustrates his passion for medical discourse however this passion has adversely led him to ignore the fundamental human rights. Evidently, both Vivian Bearing and Jason are apathetic towards human beings and their feelings which juxtapose the sensual passion portrayed by A Valediction: Forbidden Mourning. The significant differences between the two texts however accentuate that for individuals exposed under various cultural influences, the idea of passion may be interpreted differently. 

Through studying Donne’s poems in tandem with W;t, responders can appreciate a more profound insight into Donne’s poems through Vivian Bearing’s passionate monologues about literature. Audience of W;t harvest the knowledge that the concept of Donne’s poems is about overcoming insuperable barriers separating life, death and eternal life. Undertaking the role as the compere of the play, Vivian Bearing attempts to strengthen herself against death with the academic vigour of This is My Playes Last Scene. This vicarious experience analysing Donne’s poem illustrates her passion and through this passion and Bearing’s ultimate suffering, the audience can understand that intellectual powers of language have trivial effects in confronting the physical reality of death. This reality, despite unpleasant, can be appreciated due to its applications to 21th century world. The juxtaposition between the Jacobean loving passion which involves an intimate bond between lovers and the 20th century passion for medical research which involves the objectification of patients has helped audience to recognise destructive power of science which eradicates genuine human emotions.

Overall, an examination of passion represented differently under contrasting contexts which permeate each text has allowed the audience to extensively appreciate the power of texts to articulate core human concerns. This has been achieved through comparing the differing interpretations of passion in This is My Playes Last Scene, A Valediction: Forbidden Mourning and W;t. The similar passions towards death manifest that despite historical distances, notions of passion are capable of universalisation beyond their context.

Cool! Really great essay, well written, great analysis and good quoting.

The one lesson I want you to take out of this essay is the bits of green and red that I've highlighted in the last few paragraphs.

Green is good. Red is bad.

Green features active verbs, like "depicts" (depicted would be the not-active version), or "conveys" (conveyed being the non-active version).

Red  features sentences like "which is conveyed", which could be rearranged to "x conveys".

I've tried to highlight the patterns for you so you can see for yourself. Notice the similarities between the things I've hihglighted in gree, and the similarities between the things I've highlighted in red... and notice the difference between green and red highlighting.

Let me know if you need more explanation on this, because I'm pretty much just letting you do it yourself because I think you'll realise on your own to start using "es" words over "ed" words, and then sometimes integrating "es" with a comma and an "-ing" word.

Thank you very much Brenden, extremely helpful feedback on my introduction, thank you for correcting my grammars tooo!!! :D :D I think by changing "which is conveyed through" into "x conveyed" makes the subject of my speech more evident and l think it sounds stronger. A huge thanks to you Brenden!!!! :)))
Mathematics: 96
Maths Extension 2: 93
Maths Extension 1: 97
English Advanced: 92
Physics: 95
Chemistry: 92
Engineering Studies: 90
Studies of Religion I: 98

2017 ATAR: 99.70
University of Sydney Civil Engineering and Commerce
University of Sydney Faculty of Civil Engineering Scholar
Student Representatives Council Student Housing Officer
City of Sydney Council Sydney Ambassador
University of Sydney Business School Student Mentor
Entrepreneur, Company of Year Junior Achievements Australia

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2016, 11:37:32 am »
Thank you very much Brenden, extremely helpful feedback on my introduction, thank you for correcting my grammars tooo!!! :D :D I think by changing "which is conveyed through" into "x conveyed" makes the subject of my speech more evident and l think it sounds stronger. A huge thanks to you Brenden!!!! :)))
Exactly! It sounds much stronger. You're very welcome - stay cool, HPL!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

gabriellav

• Fresh Poster
  • School: East Hills
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2016, 06:22:25 pm »
Thank you so much Lauren for your feedback and ideas. Regarding your comment to Brendon " I'll just direct any complaints we get about giving too much feedback to you", I am if anything more than thankful, and take any feedback that i can get with open hands.

Thanks once again :)

Hamza98

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Georges River College
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2016, 06:50:45 pm »
Hi,

Attached is a copy of my essay for Module C. It is based of a critical study of the novel "In The Skin of a Lion". Please the note that this is not a full fledged essay, as it is missing quotes. Other than it is very much like an essay.
Thankyou so much for providing this service.
 :)

BethanyLeise

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Our Lady of Mercy College, Parramatta
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2016, 07:07:34 pm »
Hi,

Here's my essay for Module A, it's not actually an essay, it's a speech (that's why it's so short and my conclusion is practically non-existent) - but apart from that please just tear it apart.

supercooper284

• Fresh Poster
  • School: SCAS
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2016, 07:20:48 pm »
Hey, my essay is MOD A, and my texts are Dubliners - Joyce, and Heaney's prescribed poems.

Please have a squiz at my essay, it's just a rough draft and I need all the help I can get!
Thanks!!

Spencerr

• Forum Regular
  • Things will turn out better than expected.
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2016, 10:09:36 pm »
Thanks Lauren for all the feedback! I'll be sure to post up again once I've edited it. :)
1st in HSC Eco 2016

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2016, 10:28:22 pm »
Unless told otherwise, I dibs simone.tsang's and supercooper's since they're the most recent.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

lha

• Trendsetter
  • School: Lambton High School
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2016, 11:30:41 pm »
Hi,
My essay is attached. It is for Module A and my texts are Tirra Lirra by the River by Jessica Anderson and Tennyson's Poetry. The question given was:

Compare how these texts explore truth and happiness.

My main concerns are that I havent incorporated truth enough and I dont know how to. Also, I dont know how to evaluate.

This essay is due on the 29th of February (so in 2 days) so any feedback ASAP would be greatly appreciated!

Spencerr

• Forum Regular
  • Things will turn out better than expected.
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2016, 11:21:00 pm »
Hi, I'm back after rewriting the entirety of my essay and incorporating your feedback Lauren!
If I could receive a second assessment of my draft, it would be invaluable!

Spoiler
"Analyse how the central values portrayed in Pride and Prejudice are creatively reshaped in Letters to Alice on First Readin Jane Austen
The content and construction of texts are intrinsically linked with the social and historical factors inherent in a composer’s contemporary context. Accordingly, a comparative study of Jane Austen’s social satire Pride and Prejudice (1813)(Pride) and Fay Weldon’s meta-fictional hybrid novel Letters to Alice(1993)(Letters) demonstrates how a transition in context from Austen’s 19th Century Regency England to Weldon’s late 20TH Century post-modern world engenders distinct societal values and attitudes. In light of shared authorial desire to examine notions of autonomy and theories of a moral education, comparative reappraisal elucidates new insights, enabling connections between texts to creatively reshape values and enrich textual appreciations.

Austen and Weldon, united in their concerns for the suppressed female condition, radically advocate for individual autonomy against restrictive social constraints. Critical of legal institutions including the system of entailment which deprived women of financial independence, Austen in Pride censures her androcentric society for valuing marriage as an economic transaction instead of a romantic ideal. Indeed, her characterisation of Charlotte Lucas as the archetypal Georgian woman, evident by her cynical decree that “happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance”, exposes how conformation to societal expectations precludes individual felicity. As such, Charlotte becomes a foil to Elizabeth Bennet who is socially constructed by Austen to subvert convention. Despite comprehending that matrimony entails financial and social stability within Regency context, Elizabeth’s emotive repudiation of Mr Collin’s proposal, on the grounds that her “feelings in every respect forbid it!”, highlights her desire to remain autonomous from traditional expectations of feminity. Unable to exert a similar degree of self-determination, Charlotte marries “the conceited, pompous...silly Mr Collins” for the “disinterested desire of an establishment”, and consequentially “sacrifices every better feeling to worldly advantage”, with the hyperbole emphasising the dichotomy between self-fulfilment and the gendered limitations of Georgian England. Contrasting Charlotte’s hapless relationship, Elizabeth’s union with Mr Darcy, evoked through individual aspirations and defiance of social expectations, is characterised by “connubial felicity” apparent in Elizabeth’s superlative declaration that she is “the happiest creature in the world”. Thus, Austen elevates individual autonomy over repressive social constructs, as instrumental to self-fulfilment and emotional contentment.

Likewise, Weldon in Letters eulogises the universal value of autonomy, reshaping it to her postmodern context by reflecting upon the reality of contemporary female emancipation. Weldon’s examination of Alice and Aunt Fay’s capacity to travel, pursue a career and attend university highlights the greater economic autonomy afforded to women, engendered through the Equal Pay Act (1970). Empowered by the second wave feminist movement, Weldon trivialises the importance of marriage by juxtaposing “the stuff our women’s magazines..[with]...the stuff of their life” , whereby connotations of “stuff” relegate marriage to an “outmoded institution” within the 1980’s. In light of dissimilar contexts, Weldon’s construction of her fictional niece “Alice”- characterised “with black and green hair” in a manifestation of modern individuality-captures the enduring value of autonomy by mirroring Austen’s subversive heroine, Elizabeth.  Whilst Austen subtly challenges established conventions, Weldon explicitly encourages Alice to adopt non-conformist ideals by “swim[ming] against the stream of communal ideals”. The metaphor lends authority to her rhetorical question “How can I possibly tell you to run your life?”, emphasising the need for self-determination amidst social pressures.  Ironically, the persona of Aunt Fay seeks to impose her own prescriptive codes upon Alice, employing high modality and the imperative “must”, when asserting that Alice “must know how to read a novel..before..writing one”.  Consequently, the plot device of Alice attaining unorthodox literary success, having “sold more copies..than all of [Aunt Fay’s] novels put together” despite subverting Aunt Fay’s instructions, enables Weldon to communicate importance of autonomy for success and in doing so reshape Austen’s values.

Furthermore, both Austen and Weldon are connected in their endorsement of a holistic education, propounding moral development via introspection and retrospective reappraisal.  In Pride, Austen, through allusion to Fordyce’s Sermons, criticises traditional modes of education, such as conduct books, for their inconsequential impact on moral growth. Satirising such ineffectual education, Austen constructs the caricature of Mary who, whilst described as “the most accomplished girl in the neighbourhood” for her study of “great books”, is ironically incapable of social sensibility, evident as she “wished to say something sensible, but knew not how”.  Asserting the didactic axiom that “we all love to instruct, though we can teach only what is not worth knowing”, Austen, thus, conveys the notion that an valuable moral education is only attainable through introspection as opposed to external sources, reflecting Regency philosopher John Locke’s theory of epistemological development that “knowledge is a matter of reflection on experience”. Indeed, Elizabeth’s introspective perusal of Darcy’s letter, illustrated by self-contemplative language as she “read and reread with the greatest attention”, facilitates a newfound understanding “that she had been blind, partial, prejudiced, absurd”.  Contrasting Mary’s defective education, Elizabeth’s eclaircissement, depicted by the epiphany “till this moment, I never knew myself!”, results in augmented self-knowledge as she is ultimately able to address her moral shortcomings.  Through Elizabeth’s bildungsroman journey, Austen promulgates introspection as the most valuable form of education through its ability to improve an individual’s moral capacity. 

Whereas Austen champions introspection, Weldon in Letters promotes literature and its ability to develop empathy, as the greatest source of moral development. However within her 1980’s context, Weldon descries the declining value of literature due to technological proliferation, typified by modern obsession with “the tinny televisual representation of reality”. She censures Alice, a representative of modern society, for being “too unread, too little practised in empathy”, emphasising, through anaphora, how literary deprivation inhibits morality. Modelling Austen’s epistolary style to enhance her didactic assertions, Weldon encourages Alice to read “Literature with a capital L”, and in doing so echo Darcy’s sentiment that reading “adds something more substantial in the improvement of [the] mind”.  Employing the extended metaphor of the “City of Invention”, Weldon captures the inherent value of literature to transcend contextual limitations, and thus provide readers with a diachronic understanding of “new” and “old” ways. As such, Weldon depicts literature’s ability to figuratively “stretch our sensibilities and our understandings” by prompting readers to empathise through vicarious experiences. This tenet of moral development is exemplified by Weldon’s reappraisal of Charlotte’s entry into marriage. Engaging in retrospective historiography, Weldon contextualises Pride through statistic data that “only thirty percent married...so to marry was a great prize”, effectively eliciting pathos from the responder to vindicate Charlotte’s decision of marrying Mr Collins. For failing to evoke such moral and empathetic responses, Weldon satirises institutionalised education in her parody of exam and essay rubrics “People are getting nastier, society nicer: Discuss”, reflecting Austen’s critique of an ineffectual education. Thus, Weldon reshapes moral development to her postmodern context, advocating the literary canon in contrast to Austen’s value of introspection. 

Ultimately, by considering Pride and Letters in contiguity, it becomes apparent that Austen’s 19th Century values of autonomy and theories of moral development are creatively reshaped by Weldon to accommodate a transition in context to the 20th Century. Thus, a comparative study of Pride and Letters, by accentuating authorial and contextual disparities, engenders deeper insights into parallel thematic concerns, enabling responders to gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of both texts.

Thanks!
1st in HSC Eco 2016

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2016, 04:11:40 pm »
Feedback for NKD:
Spoiler
'The process of discovery involves a willingness to abandon established ways of thinking in order to embrace new outlooks.'

The process of discovery often involves an exchange between loss and gain not sure exchange is the right word here; that makes it sound as though you trade a loss for a gain, but what you seem to be getting at here is that both losses and gains are involved in the process of discovery(?). In particular an individual may change their way of thinking need a comma here enabling them to discover new perceptions of the world. This is demonstrated in William Shakespeare's romantic comedy The Tempest (1610) as well as William Golding's novel Lord of the Flies (1954). Both texts explore how as people change their outlook on the world comma - this is really minor, but when it comes to handwritten essays, it's easy for your reader to get lost if they don't know when natural pauses should occur it can become difficult to distinguish men from monsters. In addition the texts display power as an established way of thinking that can hinder an individual's ability to discover, as well as how freedom can have either positive or negative aspects on discovery. This is a little bit 'signpost-y,' which I know many people don't have a problem with and actually favour as a mode of introduction writing, but I'd argue you don't want to list your arguments in a really overt way - it's more impressive if you can weave them into the discussion more subtly. Here, all three of your major points (man vs. monsters, power, freedom) are presented with the same sentence structure of 'The text displays XYZ idea.' Instead, try to vary your expression a bit so you can introduce these points in slightly subtler ways.

Discovery can either limit or enhance an individual's established perceptions on the fine line dividing men and monsters. In the Tempest comma Shakespeare develops the island motif to explore how isolation from the civilised world can be dehumanising. The Elizabethan court and society represents law and order whereas the island represents a more primitive state of being. In the play there is a role reversal between spirit Ariel, who is humanised, and the protagonist Prospero, who is dehumanised. Notice how all of your sentences thusfar have been rought the same length? Like, they're all hovering around the 18 words per sentence mark? This can create a bit of a problem for your expression; you want to use longer ones for a more complex build up of ideas, and 'shorter' ones (still around 18 words :P) for really direct communication. In this instance, I think you could have combined a few of these sentences to unite your discussion a bit more, eg. 'In 'The Tempest,' Shakespeare develops the island motif to explore how isolation from the civilised world can be dehumanising, and as such, separates the island world of primitive values from the Elizabethan court representing law and order.'This is exemplified when Ariel tells Prospero of the Mariner's imprisonment, suggesting that Prospero’s ‘affections’ should be ‘tender’ and that, "Mine would, sir, were I human” ironically displaying Ariel’s humanity. Nice quote integration :) This juxtaposition of Ariel’s human emotions and Prospero’s lack thereof causes Prospero to question his own values as a human and leads him to discover new moral values antithetically declaring, "The rarer action is in virtue than in vengeance”. Shakespeare is didactically warning the audience of the easy descent into savagery and the hazy interchangeable divide between monsters and men. In the Lord of the Flies this journey from being a monster to a man so are you talking about the perception of humanity vs. monstrosity, like your topic sentence hinted at, or are you talking about actually being a man vs. actually being a monster? is subverted as the boys begin to regress from society and rational thinking. Like Shakespeare, Golding employs the island motif to manifest the characters’ inner monsters, which is symbolised in their primitive dance and their highly modal chant "Kill the beast! Cut his throat! Spill his blood", microcosmically representing the idea that everyone has a dark side. Simon’s discovery that the beast is not a monster but within themselves expression(?) is portrayed in a hallucinatory moment where he hears the severed pigs head reveal "I'm part of you”. This truth pinnacles can't really use this as a verb; you could say 'reaches a pinnacle/climax/zenith' when the boys including Ralph and Piggy, kill Simon towards the end of the novel, signifying their complete regression ironically becoming the beast they were hunting to begin with. Okay, there's some good analysis here, but now you need take this back to the idea of discovery. Don't end your paragraph on a point of evidence; that means I (your pretend assessor) have to do the thinking for you by wondering 'what does this have to do with the prompt?' So it's your job to answer that question before I get a chance to ask it!

At the start of your paragraphs, aim to link the previous discussion with the current one. Otherwise there's no sense of order to your paragraphs and your essay becomes three separate discussions rather than a single, unified argument that builds on itself. Power can be all-consuming, however when relinquished it can lead to redemption and new outlooks. The tempest itself is a symbol of Prospero's magical abuse of power and his desire to control others. Shakespeare introduces the motif of the tempest in the opening scene of the play, it seems a little odd to say what the tempest symbolises, and then have a sentence about how 'Shakespeare introduces the motif of the tempest' - surely that second statement should come first? & this is another instance where the sentences could easily be combined so they're not so stilted when Prospero conjures “dreadful thunderclaps” and “fire and cracks of sulphurous roaring” to punish his enemies. Through these hellish and evil connotations, the tempest symbolises Prospero’s magical abuse of power and his desire to control nature. this is a bit too similar to the emboldened sentence above; I'd say you could afford to just get rid of the first one and then fully flesh out the symbolism here instead. In particular Prospero uses the tempest and abuses his power to control Ariel, Caliban and the other mariners who arrive on the island. Could you combine this evidence with the previous sentence? After seeing what his abuse of magic and power has done to those around him, Prospero decides to relinquish his power and magic, metonymically you can say the "staff" and "book" are metonyms, but you can't really say he 'metonymically declares' something declaring '"I'll break my staff, I'll drown my book" opening himself to all the elements of nature. Prospero , meaning that he is no longer blinded by power, enabling him to embrace new outlooks. This is emphasised in the closing scene when he promises his former enemies “calm seas [and] auspicious gails” on the voyage back to Naples, the soft sibilant assurance establishing a sharp juxtaposition between the hellish tempest of the opening scene. In Lord of the Flies need a comma here Golding develops a similar juxtaposition to display how power can be all-consuming.  Jack represents the primitive autocratic government in contrast to the conch which acts as a symbol of democratic government. When Piggy is killed and the conch simultaneously “exploded into a thousand white fragments and ceased to exist” the idea of democracy emblematically ceases to exist. This use of hyperbolic imagery foreshadows Jack’s ostensible omnipotence over the group.  In the denouement when boys are rescued “Jack started forward, then changed his mind and stood still”. This effective use of sibilance earlier when you were analysing Shakespeare's verse, the word 'sibilance' was appropriate since it contributed to the meaning, but here, analysing the words 'stood still' as being sibilant doesn't seem quite so relevant. Not all instances of alliteration will be worth commenting on; the symbolic discussion you're doing here should be sufficient in terms of close analysis and symbolic movement signifies his transformation from being powerful to becoming passive, embracing renewed outlooks on the proper balance of power that exists in society. Hence both Shakespeare and Golding employ stark juxtapositions between power control (or some other synonym to prevent the repetition within this sentence) and a lack thereof in order to reveal the volatility of power and how it impacts an individual’s ability to embrace new outlooks. Good closer.

Freedom is often the catalyst for an individual to alter their ways of thinking. In the Tempest, when Prospero frees himself from power he then releases his slave Caliban, Ariel, and the mariners need a comma here conveying how the discovery of individual freedom can lead to collective liberation. Most prominent is Caliban’s transformation, who as he is initially depicted as wicked sub-human “devil” and yet once freed from slavery is humanised and is able to better himself, "I'll "be wise hereafter and seek for grace". This eloquent highly modal declaration juxtaposes starting to overuse this word a bit; try to vary your discussion by talking about 'contrasts,' 'comparisons' and 'associations' rather than just 'juxtapositions.' Caliban’s former incoherent diction, suggesting that freedom can lead to renewed and positive outlooks on life. Shakespeare is perhaps reacting to the imperial colonisation of the English empire during the Elizabethan era hinting that it is not slaves who are savage but the act of enslavement itself. However, in contrast, unlike the Tempest, in Lord of the Flies now there's a bit of an excess of linking words :P Either 'In contrast, Lord of the Flies shows...' or 'However, in Lord of the Flies...' would be sufficient since you're already implying there's a point of difference between the two texts here freedom does not lead to positive outlooks because on the island all the boys are powerful with no parents or laws restricting their behaviour. Most notable is Roger's transformation who the reason why this bit sounds odd is because you've isolated 'Roger's transformation' as the focus of your sentence, but then you've used the word 'who,' referring to Rodger instead of his transformation. So this should either be 'Rodger, whose transformation...' or 'The most notable transformation is Rogers as he...' initially clings to the " taboo of the old life" however he progressively tests the bounds how can be 'test the bounds' if you're arguing there are no bounds? of his new-found freedom and discovers there are no boundaries. When Piggy rhetorically and asks the group “Which is better – to have rules and agree, or to hunt and kill?” he antithetically the rest of this analysis is fine, but the word 'antithetically' doesn't belong here. It's usually used to refer to opposites, as in, 'he worked for a mega-corporation whose values were antithetical to his own,' so I'm not sure what you're intending here? foreshadows Roger’s downfall where he horrifyingly kills Piggy, suffering no punishment or consequences for his actions. Hence, Golding is illustrating the idea that unrestrained freedom can have negative consequences and without proper government, laws and order, civilisation inevitably falls into chaos. Perhaps you could go a step further here and say that Golding implies that rules and agreement cannot coexist with the desire to hunt and kill seeing as Piggy sets up that dichotomy where they can seemingly have one or another. The gradual collapse of the rules in LotF happens in inverse proportion to the growing cruelty and animalistic nature of the characters which might be a kind of discovery you could flag here just to push this B.P. along. See end comments for more regarding 'start & end points.'

Together, the texts provide insight as to how discovery must involve an individual's eagerness to embrace new perceptions of the world. Both Shakespeare and Golding explore how as people change their outlook on the world it can become difficult to distinguish between men and monsters and can therefore hinder an individual's opportunity to discover. In addition, the texts display how power can corrupt an individual's moral compass and restrict them from embracing new ways of thinking, yet it can also foster redemption and discovery. The Tempest and Lord of the Flies demonstrate how freedom can have both positive and negative implications for an individual’s ability to embrace new outlooks. this is a very summative conclusion which won't lose you any marks, but won't help you gain any either. Your conclusion is your chance to say something profound to the assessor about the nature of discovery, so if all you're doing is summarising your essay, you're kind of missing that opportunity to 'zoom out' and say something on a more holistic level.

In general, your analysis here is pretty high grade, and I like that you're finding connections between the texts within your paragraphs instead of leaving the comparison till the end or just discussing each one in isolation. You also seem to have a pretty good balance of ideas + evidence which is awesome.

However, the instances of repetition (particularly in your intro and conclusion) are somewhat costly, and the fact that you are running through your key ideas so often can actually detract from the quality of your writing.

For instance, if I had an essay like:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INTRODUCTION
Discovery is a multifaceted concept. Sometimes discoveries can cause us pain. Furthermore, we don't always understand the consequences of what we discover right away. Moreover, the things we discover can affect our lives in many ways.

1st B.P.
Often the discoveries we make can lead to us experiencing pain and hardship.

2nd B.P.
Likewise, it can be difficult for us to fathom the repercussions of our discoveries.

3rd B.P.
Our lives are also affected in many ways by the things we make discoveries about.

CONCLUSION:
Thus discoveries may lead to pain and suffering, but they can also have unforeseen consequences. It is also possible for us to be impacted in different ways by our discoveries. Ultimately, the nature of discovery is manifold and complex.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(I'm simplifying here; we're focusing on the structure, not the ideas :P)

So for each of my three core points, I've got a sentence in both my intro and my conclusion, meaning that the essay feels a bit formulaic and repetitive, even with the paraphrasing I've done.

I also want to say something about 'start and end points,' by which I mean the first and last sentence in each body paragraph. For the most part, you've got the right idea in terms of 'zooming out,' ie. having these start and end points be about general ideas (like you've done in your second and third paras,) and not about specific examples (like the end of your first.) However, you also want to be careful not to make your start and end points too similar. This is another factor that leads to repetition; instead of:
      - Here is my idea
      - This is the textual evidence for my idea
      - Thus, here is my idea
...you want something more like:
      - Here is my idea
      - This is the textual evidence for my idea
      - This is why my idea helps me argue my main point.
What this means is that the last sentence of each B.P. should not simply be a paraphrased version (or something very similar to) your first sentence. You want to be taking your assessor on a bit of a journey throughout your essay, and every instance of repetition will pull them out of that journey and make them acknowledge that you're repeating yourself. As such, you want to sufficiently vary the way you express your ideas to avoid this potential problem in the future.

You also seem to favour relatively short sentences, which is good in that it lets you communicate your points clearly and effectively, but in terms of the quality of your writing overall, you want to change things up a bit and show the assessor you have the confidence to split and combine sentences freely. (I know you're not writing five word sentences, but
this might still be relevant!) See the below feedback for Hamza98 regarding linking sentences.

Most of this stuff is just fine-tuning though; you've got great content - now you just have to get the presentation and articulation of that content right :)

Feedback for Hamza98:
Spoiler
How does Ondaatje’s narrative structure reflect his concerns and his context?

Michael Ondaatje’s “In the Skin of a Lion” (ITSOAL) is a text that utilises its unique narrative structure to reflect the author’s concerns and context. Love that you're dealing with the prompt right frmo the outset. Unfortunately this prompt is pretty vague and broad, but you've done well to focus on it here. Just be careful not to always use the exact words in the prompt every time (- it's fine here, but I just wanted to note this so you don't get into the habit of slightly rewording the prompt for every introduction; varying your vocab is important too.) The narrative structure is unique in that Ondaatje uses a non-linear fragmented narrative, through which Ondaatje is able to have multiple voices co-exist simultaneously. These unique attributes have been influenced by post-modern and post-colonial thought. These two sentences could easily become: 'Ondaatje's non-linear, fragmented narrative enables him to have multiple voices coexist simultaneously, which are features largely influenced by post-modern and post-colonial schools of thought.'

Post-modernism, the absence of any certainty, discredits the core values of modernism, opposing the fixed principles of meaning and value. This ideology seeks to break away from the norm and challenge conventional storytelling. THANK YOU for defining this! Chances are your assessors will already know what it means too, but it's so important to have this clarification here right from the start so you're not just saying 'oh yeah, Ondaatje is all about them post-modern ideals' without ever telling us what post-modern ideals even are :P Great job here! Ondaatje embraces aspects of post-modernism through the creation of a novel that breaks away from the traditional narrative. ITSOAL’s story is told through a non-linear narrative that is also fragmented. The fragmented nature of the narrative links to the novel’s motif of dynamites and the theme of destruction and creation. This is another bundle of sentences that could easily be combined to give: 'Ondaatje embraces aspects of post-modernism througn ITSOAL's non-traditional narrative style, and the text's fragmented form links to the motif of dynamite and the idea of destruction.' Few more things to note: check with your teacher whether it's permissible to use 'ITSOAL' instead of the full title - I know some assessors who are stingy about things like this. Also, try not to use the word 'theme' in your essay. The motif of the dynamite stems from Patrick’s father’s use of dynamite to destroy large rocks into smaller fragments. He used this to aid him in logging the forest. Lots of short, jarring sentences here are breaking up the flow of your ideas. Similarly, Ondaatje uses dynamites I get what you're going for, but the author isn't actually using dynamite to destroy the novel :P to destroy the narrative itself into smaller fragments. These fragments are then pieced together by the reader, in order to co-construct the narrative. The co-construction as in, the author and the reader are both 'creating' the novel? I'm not sure what you mean by this. of the narrative reflects Ondaatje’s ‘creative’ method of storytelling.

ITSOAL is self-reflexive, this comma doesn't belong here - it should be either a semicolon or a full stop, though obviosuly a three word sentence is quite short, so you should try and reword this to something like 'ITSOAL's self-reflexive nature disrupts the reading process...' it disrupts the reading process to explore its own textual nature, which highlights is evident in the use of metafiction. Ondaatje breaks the illusion of reality and engages the reader in the process of making the meaning of the text, rather than simply allowing them to receive it. The responder is made a producer rather than simply a consumer. "Only the best art can order the chaotic tumble of events. Only the best can realign chaos to suggest both the chaos and order it will become." Try to integrate this quote - leaving it here as a sentence on its own makes it seem separate from your analysis. The idea is to blend textual evidence with your own discussion, so you should aim to pick out the important parts of the novel and embed them within your writing. Here, Ondaatje uses the technique of intrusion, where an author makes a direct comment on his novel and what would that comment be? What is the author saying here? Be more specific!.

This "chaos" is also created through the use of frame- a story within a story. are there words missing here? Also, how is this different from metafiction exactly? Towards the conclusion of the novel, the corners of the story are pulled together and readers are able to close the frame that encapsulated the inner story. The car ride woah! This jump into evidence is really rapid - in the previous sentence you're talking about the novel's structure as a whole, and now we're talking about a car ride?? Aim for smoother transitions between ideas and evidence is the result of Ondaatje's ability to transcend time and space- the story ends at the beginning of the novel and begins at the end, as if Patrick has told his story not only to the young girl Hana, but ultimately, to readers. This discontinuity and elliptical narrative structure is used in a deliberate attempt to destabilize the conventional narrative and proceed in a manner that imitates the sequence of memory, reminding readers that his novel, like one's memory, can be unreliable. excellent idea! Really love this sentence! :) Ondaatje searches for a version of the truth through experimentation and human experience, disputing the way dominant cultures have imposed their views as the ultimate truth. There is no one grand narrative in history. Notice how when I take this sentence out of context, it has nothing to do with the text? At the moment, this sentence just sounds like your own opinion that you're inserting at the end of your discussion. If you want to get credit for this, make it clear that this is something Ondaatje suggests/implies/establishes etc.

Some transition between paragraphs would be good too. Jumping into your next discussion with no link at all means that your paragraphs don't feel as though they're building on one another - they just feel like separate discussions packed together. Post-Colonialism is a resistance to the colonial power and addresses ? and gives voice to the minorities who historically were silenced. Ondaatje retells the story of Toronto from the perspective of the migrants who built the foundations on which Toronto resides today. These once marginalised migrants are now given a chance to present history from their perspective and gives readers the underside of their unofficial history. These migrants who spent their lives living on the periphery of society have their voices heard through the power that Patrick possesses. Throughout the novel Patrick is portrayed as always searching for light and with it, he shines it on others. He acts as a mirror reflecting light from a distance without participating. This motif of light allows Patrick to give migrants a chance to have their voices heard. Some repetition of phrasing here, and I think a lot of these sentences could be collapsed together, but the step-by-step logic of your explanations is pretty good. Additionally Ondaatje believes that those with a grasp on language ultimately find themselves in power. This is evident in the relationship between a storyteller, like Patrick, and a listener such as Hana. For a brief moment, the person running the story has the power to create reality. Ultimately this reality will be biased as it is told by someone who is in power. Having a multiplicity of voices prevents the marginalisation of voices. This links back to don't draw attention to repetition! See the above feedback for NKD regarding 'start and end points' but in general, try to build out to a bigger idea at the end of your paragraph rather than just round back to the same point you raised at the beginning the post-colonial belief of empowering the colonised through language.

Ondaatje’s use of narrative structure and intertextuality reflects his post-modern and post-colonial concerns. Ondaatje achieves this through post-modern inspired concerns such as breaking away from the norm and challenging conventional narratives. Ondaatje additionally embraces aspects of post-colonialism by highlighting the stories of those living on the periphery of society. Again, there's some repetition in phrasing here with each of these sentences beginning with 'Ondaatje...' which could easily be avoided by altering the sentence structure.

Okay, I know you said you've left most quotes out, so I haven't made as many comments regarding your use of evidence, meaning that this feedback is mainly about your essay and sentence structure. I just thought I'd mention here that you'd obviously need to include (and integrate!) more quotes in order to get a decent mark, otherwise a lot of the great ideas you've got here would be unsubstantiated.

The biggest issue here is regarding your syntax and the length/focus of your sentences. I'm going to give you a brief rundown of something called 'sentence topicality,' and then I'll explain why this is important and how you can fix this.

Every sentence has a 'topic' or a focal point. It has to be a noun, and usually it occurs at the beginning of a sentence. For instance:
'The house on the hill is bright red, and my uncle used to live there.'
'The house' is obviously the topic, since that's the thing we're talking about.

Now let's look at the following passage:
The house on top of the hill is bright red, and my uncle used to live there. My uncle moved houses in the late 70's after he turned 18. He turned 18 in April. The house on top of the hill is now occupied by a young family from Sudan. Sudan is a country torn apart by civil war.

Clearly the focus of this discussion is all over the place, and it doesn't help that most of the 'topics' are repeated and carried over from the end of the previous sentence.Compare that to the following:
The house on top of the hill is bright red, and my uncle used to live there, but he moved out in the late 70's after his birthday in April. The house is now occupied by a young family from Sudan since their country has been torn apart by civil war.

^This is waaaay smoother because I've incorporated those short sentences that had similar focuses, and I've kept the flow of the discussion going without needing to repeat information.

The most basic summation I can give you is that at the moment, your sentences are too short, and you're repeating your sentence topics too much which is making your writing kind of sharp and stagnated. So the easiest fix is to force yourself to write slightly longer sentences whilst still ensuring your writing is clear and grammatical. If you have two or three sentences with similar topics, and each one is only serving to get across a single point (eg. 'His birthday is in April' or 'ITSOAL’s story is told through a non-linear narrative that is also fragmented') then try to combine it with one or more of the surrounding sentences. You can do this on a small scale first by just taking one of these paragraphs out and workshopping it until it flows better, and then hopefully once you start writing full essays, the process will be more natural to you.

Only other comments I have are regarding the end points of your paragraphs, some of which were a tad weak and/or repetitious - try to zoom out a bit more and have a nice 'Therefore the author seeks to XYZ' or 'Thus the author implies that XYZ' type of sentence to close strongly.

Keep up the great work! :)

Feedback for Bethany Leise:
Spoiler
Discoveries can be intensely personal and significant.
How do the texts you have studied explore these ideas? Refer to your set text/s and one other text of your own choosing.

Discovery, whilst it has the potential to be intensely transformative, one’s knowledge and foresight of events initiating change removes elements of surprise and sincerity, potentially preventing the individual from undergoing a personal and significant discovery Okay, I'm going to do a big dissection of this sentence just for the purposes of demonstration but if you can read over this yourself and see that something's wrong, you'll probably be able to fix it. I'll explain this nevertheless just for others' benefits or by way of showing you why this is ungrammatical. Also, I believe I am under explicit instructions to "tear it apart," so here goes... :)
First, let's simplify what you're saying:
Discovery, whilst it can be transformative, knowledge removes elements of surprise, preventing people from undergoing discovery.
The main problem here is that at the start, I'm thinking 'discovery' is going to be the focus of this sentence, but then yuo switch to talking about knowledge and foresight. It's kind of like:
(Discovery, (whilst it can be transformative) ) (knowledge (removes elements of surprise,) (preventing people from undergoing discovery.)) 
The second part of this sentence is totally fine: we've got 'knowledge' as our focus, and we're saying that it a) 'removes elements of surprise' and b) 'prevents people from undergoing discovery.' However, when we look at the first bit, we can see that it's incomplete. If I just said to you 'Discovery, whilst it can be transformative.' you'd be like ...umm, what about it? Cause it's an incomplete sentence, right? What are we saying about discovery?? The 'whilst it can be transformative' bit is just an extra aside; it can't complete the sentence for us. To use a similar example:
'My mother, even though she's 43, my father is a talented builder, responsible for constructing our whole house.'
See how we've got 'my mother' isolated as our opening focus, but we never go on to say anything about her? This is because the topic of the sentence (see above feedback for Hamza98 for a more detailed explanation of this) shifts in a way that isn't obvious to the reader.
The reason I'm drawing so much attention to this is because if your assessor is confused by your very first sentence, it can make a bad impression that's hard to undo. Perhaps this was a typo or a mistake that you know is wrong, but it's still going to stand out to the person reading your essay, so you want to make sure that initial impression is as flawless as can be :)
. In Shakespeare’s The Tempest, Miranda’s ignorance of her past allows her to be transformed whilst Prospero’s knowledge and orchestration of his own discovery prevents him from undergoing a substantially transformative experience. Good point. Similarly, the persona in Nicole Redhouse’s short story ‘This is who you are. You’ll see’, is raised with an intellectual knowledge of his future discoveries, diminishing, if not entirely removing, their impact on him. Ideally you want your introductions to be geared more so towards ideas rather than evidence, but since this is a fairly short speech, I can't really blame you for not introducing a whole bunch of broad discussion points given that you presumably had quite a short word limit or time restriction. Just for future reference, try not to put specific pieces of evidence in introductions for your essays - this treads the line between being a bit too specific, though it's fine in this context.

A lack of intellectual and emotional knowledge of one’s self leads to a heightened impact of discovery. In Shakespeare’s The Tempest, the protagonists daughter, Miranda this sounds a bit odd seeing as you've kind of introduced her in your introduction (hence why you don't want to put evidence there; it preempts later discussion!), has been confined to the island for most of her life, leading to a limited intellectual understanding of discoveries within an individual’s her lifetime. The idea of topic sentences is to outline a general concern which you then use to 'zoom in' to the text. So it goes from broad discussion about the nature of discovery --> specific textual examples of the aforementioned idea. What you've done here, though, is gone from the general idea, into the text, and then back to a general idea ('...understanding of discoveries within an individual's life') at the end. Make this a linear transition from A to B, and you can then zoom out at the end of your paragraph and go back to these general ideas once your point has been made. Upon learning of her origins from Prospero, she claims ‘Your tale, sir, would cure deafness’, hyperbolically conveying her amazement at new knowledge. Conversely, the persona in Nicole Redhouse’s short story ‘This is who you are. You’ll see’ again, this similarity in phrasing with the intro (which would be, at most, thirty seconds apart in a speech) sounds a bit clunky has grown up with parents as psychologists, and from a young age is intellectually aware of his developmental maturity but as a result, emotionally unable to connect. His most significant discovery comes as an ‘epiphanic moment of clarity’ during an unplanned evening of drinking. Redhouse’s reference to the Oedipus complex as the persona’s ‘psychology buddies’ discuss Freud’s cultural dominance and the persona’s unawareness and ‘strange ambivalence’ towards the concept, it seems like you're skimming the surface of this evidence without explaining the example and what it demonstrates. I'm struggling to follow your logic here even though I'm familiar with your text. So the persona makes reference to Oedipal complexes while his 'psychology buddies' discuss Freud, so his unawareness/ambivalence show the power of unexpected discoveries... ??? Perhaps it's because you're doing this so quickly, but I think the explanation needs to be a bit more step-by-step to ensure the audience are following your train of thought. Even a few extra sentences would help clarify this connection reinforces the power of unexpected enlightenment. Likewise, one of Miranda’s most significant discoveries is the one most unexpected to her: the appearance of Ferdinand. Her religious allusion describing Ferdinand as ‘A thing divine, for nothing natural I ever saw so noble’ reinforces starting to repeat this word a bit - find synonyms if this is something you use often! the positively heightened impact of unforeseen encounters. And conversely with Redhouse’s persona, high modality descriptions ‘so enraged by his dogma  that your glass break in your white-knuckled hand’ presents the profound negative effects of unanticipated revelations. However positive or negative, the unexpectedness of discoveries increase their impact. Nice point, but going back and forth between the texts might actually be to the detriment of your discussion overall. I'm a big fan of in-paragraph comparisons contrary to the one-paragraph-per-text approach that others may favour, but you never want to compare at the expense of analysing. Thus, instead of going from Shakespeare to Redhouse to Shakespeare to Redhouse, perhaps incorporate your analysis of Shakespeare at the beginning, then transition to discussing Redhouse, and zoom out at the end by reinforcing the idea(s) that will link them together. This just makes it less jumpy for your audience, and might enable you to better flesh out your examples rather than feeling the need to transition too soon.

An individual’s awareness of their future experiences and the consequential repercussions impairs their capacity to personally connect to their discoveries. Prospero in The Tempest undergoes a journey of discovery of his own orchestration. His ‘art’, brief aside: if this is a speech and you're required to use textual evidence, you should try and draw attention to the fact that you're quoting here. This is really hard to explain through the medium of text, but basically think about how your intonation could change to reflect the fact that you're citing an example. You almost want to have those quotation marks evident in your voice by having a bit of a pause between 'His' and 'art' and you might even use your body language to imply that you're referencing something. Little details like this can make all the difference :) and position as the engineer of what occurs on stage puts him in control of his own development, and while he is able to make discoveries about forgiveness, his self-importance leaves him fixated on the past as he requests ‘retire me to Milan’. this isn't quite integrated, and might sound a bit odd if you have to read it aloud. Similarly, the persona in ‘This is who you are. You’ll see’ you generally don't have to repeat the title after you've used it once. It'd be enough to say 'Redhouse's protagonist...' or 'in Redhouse's short story...' uses second person ‘you are in the throes of teenage cynicism, from which vantage point it seems a deeply clichéd thing to do’, this isn't integrated either - make the quote fit in your sentence so that if I took the quotation marks away, it'd still should grammatical emphasizing his distance from his emotions and arrested ability to feel the significance of his own discovery. Commonly mesmerising journeys are diminished to passing phrases like ‘Also, you want to travel’ removing their significance. He is simultaneous intellectually aware and emotionally ignorant of his developmental achievements as he journeys through life, and in order to discover, must retract intellectually. In the case of Prospero, as he pleads for the audience to ‘Let your indulgence set me free' in his epilogue, demonstrates demonstrating an acceptance of diminished control leading to his substantial forgiveness of his ‘enemies’ in offering them a ‘hearty welcome’ in Act 5. It sounds a bit odd to say Prospero's pleading leads to his forgiveness of his enemies when the latter occurs first, and the 'Let your indulgence' bit is the very last line of the play.

Thus it can be seen that discoveries have the potential to be both personal and significant however an individual’s knowledge and control over their own discovery plays a substantial role in the impact of the discovery. Good wrap-up, though obviously this wouldn't be enough for a full essay. It's perfectly fine for a speech, though you may have had an extra line or two just to reinforce this idea and explain some of its other facets, rather than just giving us a somewhat abrupt, one-sentence summation.

Really good work overall - there's not much here to unpack since this is a fairly short piece, but in general, your textual analysis was pretty decent, and you've supported your thesis statement well. Be careful not to transition between examples too often as there were moments where I thought the importance of your evidence could've been fleshed out a little more. Also, make sure you're integrating your quotes appropriately. Other than that, you're all good :) Well done!

Feedback for supercooper284:
Spoiler
How has the treatment of similar content in a pair of texts shaped and reshaped your understanding of the values and attitudes of their differing contexts?

In all aspects of literature, authors seek to convey perspectives that reflect the context of the period in which they write, through their works. A comparative study of James Joyce’s Dubliners and Seamus Heaney’s Poems reveals how such authors incorporate their differing contexts into their writing, which in turn helps to shape and re-shape one’s understanding of the values and attitudes of 20th century Ireland. Ireland is a nation defined by its religious attitudes, its political context (Northern vs Southern, unionist vs nationalist) don't put brackets in formal writing, and don't use 'vs.' either. Not only is it a colloquial abbreviation, but it's also not technically a word since 'versus' is a kind of new-age construction that a lot of English teachers detest :P  and its urban and rural landscapes. And so, this is a bit of a weak linking phrase. Aim for something stronger like 'Furthermore...' 'Thus...' or 'To this end...' both authors discuss the paralysing nature of Irish society, with Joyce focusing solely on stasis and Heaney recognising confinement but moving beyond this ideal into reflection. This is due to their differing physical and historical contexts, urban vs rural and 20s vs 60s see above, which assist in emphasising their views towards everyday Irish stasis, religious oppression and the paralysing nature of familial duty. this is a bit 'list-y.' Try not to have your introduction contain a sentence that just runs down your major sub-arguments - either integrate them into your introductory discussions, or just leave them out and let your topic sentences do the outlining for you.

The similar content discussed in the story Counterparts and the poem Casualty reveals around expression. This should either be 'revolves around' or just 'reveals' the paralysing nature of every day <--one word, in this context, not two life in Ireland. Joyce centres his story around the protagonist, Farrington, who is a representation of the desolation that overshadowed the lives those living in urban Ireland in the 1920s. Joyce uses this character to highlight the paralysing nature of everyday Irish society you've already got some unnecessary repetition here. The topic sentence states that Joyce explores everyday paralysis, then you introduce the protagonist Farrington as a key point of evidence, then here state that Farrington represents everyday paralysis. Don't overtly mark your evidence by stating what it means both before and after bringing it up - think of your essay as a linear journey or train of thought - doing loops and backtracking isn't really ideal if you're trying to get your assessors from A to B. and the cyclical, mundanity that is every day’s reality. Joyce describes Dublin wait, so we're not discussing Farrington? Wht was he brought up in the previous sentence if you're focussing on Joyce's characterisation of Dublin? as a gloomy place as “Darkness, accompanied by a thick fog, was gaining upon the dusk of February.” Such a pictorial description sets the reader up to identify the context as dark and confining, forming the basis of paralysis in the story. Joyce often proposes the idea of confronting the stasis, as when, “His whose? This quote isn't integrated and it's not clear what its context is body ached to do something, to rush out and revel in violence.” However while the idea is mentioned, it is never acted upon and so the characters in his story cease to break free from this confinement. This is where Heaney differs. Heaney approaches the idea of every day stasis with reference to a Historical no need to capitalise this event - The Bloody Sunday riots, in Casualty. The verse discusses occupation and is a reflection on his own choice to become a writer through the character. The character described, “Had gone miles away/ For he drank like a fish/Nightly, naturally/ Swimming towards the lure/ Of warm lit-up places.” Heaney uses enjambment to control the tempo of the poem, and literary effects such as simile “drank like a fish” and alliteration “nightly, naturally” to emphasise the obvious, repeated drinking ritual that the protagonist centres his life around okay, but why does a simile and some alliteration emphasise the obvious repetitiveness of the protagonist's daily rituals? You might be right, but you've haven't quite shown me that you're right - you've just stated that there is a connection between this evidence and your idea. Heaney, however, goes further than Joyce’s description of paralysis by idealising this sort of ritualistic lifestyle, “I tasted freedom with him.” this isn't integrated. Make the words of the text fit your sentences such that the punctuation could be removed and things would still make sense; don't just put your evidence at the end of the sentence. This kind of structured paralysis gives purpose to the character’s life, <-- should be a semicolon here so much so that it ends up being the very thing that kills him, but he found a sense of freedom within the confines of the character who lived according to a ritual - drinking. <--link?--> Both stories touch on the ideal of societal stasis in Ireland, however comparing these two writings re-shape ones understanding of the values of Irish culture that developed between the 1920s and 1960s, in two different physical contexts. your end point is a bit too general. Which values of Irish culture have you explored here? And which physical contexts? You've got the right idea in terms of zooming out and having a more general sentence at the end, but you have to make sure it's based on the foundation of the discussion that has preceded it, otherwise you've just got a really general summative point that isn't actually summarising what you've talked about. It's kind of like having a point of evidence and then wrapping up by saying 'Therefore both texts explore a variety of core ideas and common societal concerns in different ways.' <-- that's technically right, but it's also a bit too zoomed out to be meaningful.

^link?-->The connection between Eveline and Mid-Term Break lies within the discussion of familial responsibility and the paralysing nature of this duty. Joyce writes from the perspective of a female eldest child, who is bogged down with the duty of being a mother to her younger siblings. He describes this responsibility as restricting, her only hope of freedom being to get married - “But in her new home, in distant, unknown country, it would not be like that. Then she would be married - she, Eveline.” see above regarding quote integration. This self identification, in aligning her own name next to the prospect of marriage, idealises freedom for the protagonist. how so? I'm not following Her familial duties, however, tie her to her homeland, and so when the opportunity to leave arises, she narrates, “No! No! No! It was impossible. Her hands clutched the iron in frenzy. Amid the seas she sent a cry of anguish……She set her white face to him, passive, like a helpless animal.” I think the problem might be that your quotes are simply too long. You're not meant to insert entire sentences from the set text in your pieces - you're meant to select the important bits of that evidence and just incorporate those. The integration at the start of this quote is a bit better than other instances in your piece, but the fact that you're quoting over 30 words kind of undermines that effort. Aim to have quotes that are eight words or less - if you're quoting any more than that, then you've probably got some unnecessary details there that aren't actually contributing to your argument. The ending to the story is an image of absolute paralysis, where Joyce uses the contextual ideal of familial duty to disable the protagonist from breaking free of her confinement. This is emphasised by the use of similie, “Like a helpless animal.” combining these sentences would let you embed this evidence in a much smoother way (eg. 'Joyce uses the contextual ideal of familiar duty, as evidenced in the simile of her being "like a helpless animal," in order to disable the protagonist from breaking free of her confinement.'   <--link?-->In Mid-Term Break, Heaney describes the duty of an eldest sibling from a male perspective. The poem is written with elegiac intentions, and so the tone is more reflective than that of Eveline, which is assisted by the form of the text. The strain placed on the protagonist in this text, however, is much less of a burden than for the female in Eveline. The boy “Was embarrased/ By old men standing up to shake my hand/ And tell me they were ‘sorry for my trouble.’” sort of integrated, only you should be modyifying the 'my' and 'me's to '[his]' and '[him]' by using square brackets. This is a description of the boys ‘role as a father’ are you quoting here?, shaking friends <-- should be an apostrophe after the 's' here because it's plural and possessive hands at the funeral. However his duty is far less constricting. This difference in the interpretation of familial duty outlines the differences in responsibility between genders. The poem moves away from the restrictive nature of responsibility in the beginning, surpassing the confinement that Eveline is based on. While the expectations placed on an eldest sibling of a family is not unique to one culture, the perspectives offered by Joyce and Heaney suggest that for Irish Catholic families, a very heavy burden of responsibility falls on the eldest child. Contrast can be found between both authors’ interpretation of familial stasis, shaping emphasising the different attitudes towards male and female eldest sibling duty in 20th century Ireland. Great stuff! This para conclusion is much better :) You've built out to a specific idea, yet you've got a broad enough focus to be able to comment on both texts' core ideas - really great stuff!

Ultimately, the idea of Irish paralysis in both rural and urban Ireland in the 20th century, is discussed all throughout Joyce’s short stories and Heaney’s Poems unless the title of the text is 'Poems' which I don't think it is ('Selected Poems' maybe) this should just be lowercase. Both authors, however, approach religious paralysis, societal stasis and the confining nature of familial duty avoid listing, from differing historical and physical contexts. Therefore, the ideas expressed in their texts help to shape and re-shape each other, as one are you using 'one' in the context of 'one person'/'a reader,' or as in 'one of the texts?' The former is fine, but the latter would make this sentence ungrammatical compares and contrasts the attitudes of each author towards paralysis. The ultimate message of each text is to highlight Irish culture, in both a negative and a reflective light, giving the reader insight into Irish cultural perspectives surrounding stasis in the 20th century. The continuing effect of this discussion on of paralysis encourages the reader to think about the restrictions found within one’s own context, and Heaney’s poetry in particular, no comma here is an encouragement to break free of such restraints. Studying the texts together leads to a greater understanding of the nature and effects of paralysis. For society, it is important to recognise paralysing agents in order to break free from these constraints, perhaps even small things that hold us back from adventure in everyday life. Conclusion is a little rambly once you get past the listing; try to wrap things up quickly and concisely.

So there's some good textual discussion here, and I'm impressed you're able to discuss 'Dubliners' so well since that's definitely one of the hardest books on the HSC list. Structurally, there are some issues here though. The discussion in NKD's essay feedback regarding listing ideas in the intro and conclusion is also relevant for you, so I'd recommend checking that out if this is something you struggle with.

Quote integration is another big thing - you want to make the evidence you're quoting fit the sentence that you're writing so that (and I think I've mentioned this in your essay,) if you were to take away the quotation marks, it should still make sense grammatically. So for instance, if I'm taking the original quote: “Mr. Duffy lived a short distance from his body.” and I want to put that into my essay, I might say:
Joyce describes Mr. Duffy as "liv[ing] a short distance from his body," which signifies...
or
In the text "Mr. Duffy live[s ] a short distance from his body," which implies...
I may not have to use [square brackets] to modify things every time, but see how the language of the text is smoothly incorporated into the discussion? That should be your goal when embedding textual evidence.

You also need some more substantial linking sentences when transitioning between texts within paragraphs, and between paragraphs. Most of the time you'd just go from talking about one text to another like '...as is reinforced in Joyce's protagonist. In Heaney's story, the idea of...' which is permissible in moderation, but shouldn't be your default/only way of transitioning. Words like 'Similarly...' and 'Contrarily' go a long way :)

However, for a rough draft, this is an awesome start, and you're doing so much right. (Forgive me for being the kind of marker who pays attention to weaknesses rather than strengths :P) Keep it up; you've got a great foundation here for further improvement.

edit: okay, I have exceeded my own land-speed record for stupid amounts of essay feedback and have hit the forum's word limit  ::) so @lha & diiiiiiiii, please see below :P
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 04:16:01 pm by literally lauren »

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2016, 04:14:33 pm »
Feedback for lha:
Spoiler
Compare how Tirra Lirra by the River and Tennyson’s poetry explore truth and happiness.

Truth and happiness are complimentary I'm assuming you mean complEmentary, as in, they go together, rather than complimentary which implies that they give compliments to and say nice things about each other :P concepts which allow an author to implement into their text an exploration of related values. Alfred Tennyson’s poetry, specifically “In Memoriam”, “The Lady of Shallot” and “Tears, Idle Tears”, and Jessica Anderson’s prose fiction novel, Tirra Lirra by the River, published in 1978 are they all published in this year?, are dissimilar in terms of context but share a complimentary see above examination of the meaning and influence of truth and happiness. In spite of the contrasting societal expectations of the divergent Victorian era and the 20th Century, the motive of relaying these societal assumptions that the authors have conveyed is highly similar and eminently influences Tennyson and Anderson’s overall messages. As a result, the disheartening nature of both plots is overwrought by the principal concept being portrayed; the truthful process the main characters must undertake in order to achieve ultimate happiness. This isn't really a 'concept,' and how is it that a process can be truthful, exactly? Your expression and flow is awesome, but the content of this sentence is making me ask some questions, and you don't want your assessor to be able to ask questions of your essay. This search for happiness and truth is portrayed in the texts through the negative impact that the contextual gender roles had on the happiness of their female characters and their ability to find truth, as well as the power of subjective memories that allow a person to overcome their grief and achieve true happinessthis is list-y. It's not quite as obvious since you've only got two body paragraphs instead of three, but having this one-for-one correspondence between sentences in your introduction and topic sentences for your body paragraphs isn't a great idea as it can become quite repetitive, and many assessors regard it as filler..

Most prominently, both Tennyson and Anderson explore what is true and what is false by drawing from the context of their own societies to highlight the negative impact which immoral gender roles play on the happiness of their women. In Tirra Lirra by the River, the societal context of Australia and England during two time periods, the present (1970s) present?? This is more than 40 years in the past!? The 1970s are closer to the 1940's than they are to the present day. Also, try not to use brackets in formal essays - embed the information in your sentences instead. and the past (post war 1940s) is critical to the progression of the novel’s plot. The chronological proximity of these time frames enables the readers to identify the differences and advancements that were made in each society’s context, allowing the readers to identify the shift in gender roles and their effect on the authentic happiness of women. Anderson’s characterization of Nora represents her as a complex, nuanced and sophisticated woman, having a sensitive and artistic temperament, should be a semicolon here entirely the opposite of what a stereotypical woman should have reflected in the 1940s. Nora’s awareness of her disparate personality is conveyed through, “I was a backward and innocent girl, living in a backward and unworldly place” this quote isn't integrated. See above feedback for supercooper for an explanation of how to go about achieving this. Anderson’s use of the main character’s self-monologue declares her authenticity and truthfulness through an explanation of her unusual outlook on life for a female, enabling the realisation that it would have an unfavourable consequence on her overall happiness. Arbitrary gender roles, shown through the high modality of the declarative statement claimed by Colin, Colin's declaration that “no wife of mine is going to work”, emphasises the dominating role of men and the elimination of women in the workplace during the post WWII era. Quoting Nora, “Colin won’t let me”, needs to be integrated expresses the forced declination of Nora’s job offer through the use of diction which creates a persuasive effect huh? ??? Diction has to do with pronunciation, and I'm not quite sure what's persuasive about this(?), further reinforcing the gender restrictions that she is under and the lack of choice that represses her pure happiness wat represents her pure happiness? Her lack of choice? The end of this sentence is a bit unclear. Similarly, Tennyson has displayed specific duties of women in his famous poem, “The Lady of Shalott”, by creating an allegory which acts as his case against established gender roles in the Victorian era. The use of iambic tetrameter by Tennyson we already know it's by him, you don't have to over-introduce things creates a sense of urgency and thus, truthfulness, for the readers in a way not possible for Anderson in her novelistic form. The lady of Shalott, for example, is confined by “four gray walls and four gray towers”, this imagery demonstrating the lack of freedom that a woman had through the metaphor of imprisonment. The statement that follows, “overlook a space of flowers”, integration juxtaposes the previous line by showing the lifelessness of the tower versus the vibrancy of the nature of Camelot; a dark tone which signifies the lady of Shalott’s genuine depressing are you trying to say that the emotions she feels depresses the audience, or that she feels depression, because at the moment, you're saying the former emotions due to the way she has to live. this isn't grammatical; if you're using a semicolon, then the stuff on either side of the semicolon has to be a self-contained sentence. (<--see?) But if I were to do something like this; it's very ungrammatical. <--that's because the first part isn't a sentence on its own. To take your example: 'a dark tone which signifies the lady of Shalott's genuine depressing emotions due to the way she has to live' - that's not a self-contained sentence, meaning the semicolon doesn't belong here. Try and just split this into its own sentence and change the wording a bit. This further reinforcement of Tennyson’s view that women were restricted to certain positions in their life, mirrors Anderson’s representation of Nora, which although more subtle, presents a similar restriction. Furthermore, accurate social standards included being married expression is a bit clunky here and I'm not sure what you mean by 'accurate social standards' ...as opposed to inaccurate ones? and this is conveyed through, “she hath no loyal knight and true” integration. The use of the word “knight” characterizes a man in the Victorian era to be of high standards and thus the fact that “she hath no knight” proposes implies that a woman is lacking if she is not married, again, strengthening Tennyson’s point through his own poetic method. Through Anderson and Tennyson’s societal context, degrading gender roles have successfully been portrayed to convey the negative connotation effect that it has they have on a female’s happiness and ability to have trust in society.

^link?-->Memories are subjective, and therefore untrue, in nature, and thus allow a person to escape their grief to achieve happiness and learn the truth about their past. Tirra Lirra by the River’s Nora, for example, successfully portrays you're using this word quite a bit, so this'd be a good one to find synonyms for to help you during test conditions when you want to avoid repetition the capabilities of selective memories in the process of conquering sadness and self-realisation, and shows her bias towards her past experiences from the beginning of the novel. Anderson refers to Nora’s memories through the metaphor of a “globe of memory”, indicating her abundance of memories and knowledgeable truth. how? What's the connection between this evidence and your idea? “I have been careful not to let this globe spin to expose the nether side” represents her high selectivity integration of the things she wants to remember due to a “nether side” existing <--this is well integrated!!! See how it fits the context of the sentence, and that if we took away the quotation marks, it'd still make sense? More of this!!!, indicating that she has a poor past due to the political and economic context of the post WW2 time that essentially caused her the pain that she does not want to revisit, as forgetting about certain things will help her on her journey to recovery. Despite her preference to not remember her troubled background, “I don’t mind the fact that she doesn't mind "inspecting some of the dark patches…” signifies her desire to end her misery by seeking out the truth, as the difficulties that the war brought into her life is now over. The use of foreshadowing and ellipses constitutes a dramatic pause allowing the readers to anticipate what truth Nora knows about her past to cause her heartache. The high modality present in, “only I like to manipulate the globe myself” integration emphasises the strong bias behind her recollections that is required for her rehabilitation and therefore her happiness what's the link between this evidence and this interpretation? Take me with you on your train of thought, and try to spell out your logic step by step, as this is where many of the marks are. Simply saying 'this evidence emphasises/demonstrates/portrays this idea' isn't really sufficient.. Anderson gives her protagonist the ability to escape through memory in an attempt to find happiness as a coping mechanism due to the WW2 that occurred during Nora’s youth, which brought about many of the hardships she would face in her later years. Likewise, Tennyson has created a theme of the pleasing pain of remembering the past not sure what you're referring to here, but the linking between texts is good in both “Tears, Idle Tears” and “In Memoriam”. In spite of the pain that the protagonist feels in “Tears, Idle Tears” due to the factual ? death of his loved one, remembering her truthfully provides comfort in Tennyson’s poem. The Victorian era consisted of mourning rituals that epitomised the time in which an individual would pass away, and thus the importance of the memories that the protagonist obtains of his loved one that help him in his grieving has been expressed by Tennyson to communicate this significant truth. “Fresh as the first beam glittering on a sail, That brings our friends up from the underworld” integration creates imagery of a ‘sail’ coming into view, proclaiming his hope of his “friends” it seems like when you use shorter quotes, you're able to integrate them properly, so maybe force yourself to quote shorter excerpts more often as a means of providing evidence, rather that having chunks of sentences that just sit there and don't grammatically belong in your discussion, actually referring to memories, coming back from the dead (“underworld”). The assonance and sibilance in “so sad, so fresh” adds to the contemporary mourning effect but HOW and WHY does this evidence support this assertion? of the Victorian context and “fresh” employs foreshadowing, does it? What is it foreshadowing, exactly? which insinuates that something happened recently, contrasting with the title, “tears, idle tears” which suggests, much like Nora, that the persona has experienced prolonged grief as opposed to a recent sad memory. This suggests that he is subconsciously revisiting the old memories as a coping mechanism to his grieving; promoting Tennyson’s idea of the important role that remembering has on for recovery and true happiness. As the title “In Memoriam” connotes, Tennyson composed this poem to remember the death of his beloved friend as a coping mechanism in the process of mourning. The repetition of the “l” creates alliteration in “here in the long unlovely street” two instances of a letter doesn't always equal repetition, and I don't think this is the strongest evidence you could be using. What else is this evidence doing - what other language in this poem is contributing to meaning? and suggests a protracted period of time spent on the “unlovely street”, a symbol of the distressing memories that he has confronted in order to lament the absence of his friend, which proved to be arduous for Tennyson due to his surrounding community that restricted his expressing of emotions. The truthfully loving memories that he has been left with is represented through the emotive language avoid this phrase unless you intend to immediately get more specific about which emotions are being evoked in “such precious relics brought by thee”, implying that these memories he has selected will allow his true happiness. Anaphora is applied in “ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,…ring out, wild bells, and let him die”, the phrase “ring out” drawing an image of a bell ‘ringing’ away the troubles that the old year brought, symbolizing the effect of recalling factual memories of his friend which frees the negative spirit to bring about a positive influence okay, you've lost me here? What is the significance of this evidence? Your discussion is getting a bit confusing, and thus sustaining Tennyson’s theory of the importance of remembering specific characteristics of an individual in order to bemoan perhaps it's because I'm not entirely sure what this paragraph is arguing, but I don't think this is the right word here them in context of the Victorian era where being in agony during a death was crucial. As a result, the relevance of a person’s bias perceptions in order to secure happiness through truthful experiences has been skillfully conveyed by Anderson and Tennyson.

Resultantly, Alfred Tennyson’s poetry and Jessica Anderson’s prose-fiction novel, Tirra Lirra by the River, no need to restate the title if you've already introduced it earlier and have been exploring it in detail adroitly execute the concept of truth and happiness within their unique contexts. The strong analysis of the negative effect of discriminatory gender roles on each context’s female’s happiness and capability of trusting, and the ability of idiosyncratic memories to allow the overcoming of grief to attain genuine happiness, have favourably allowed the exploration of truth and happiness in each composer’s exclusive societal and political contexts, consisting of the Victorian era, post WW2 1940s and the 1970s. listing isn't necessary here.

You're off to a good start with this discussion, but there are some little things holding you back.

The first and most apparent is your quote integration - you need to make the authors' language fit within your sentences; you can't just say "The author's use of this poetic device, as seen in "blah blah blah quote from the text" which portrays this idea." Instead, you want to select only the most relevant bits of the text and insert them into your analysis smoothly, as you have done with some of the one and two word quotes here. Try to minimise the amount of evidence you're needing to cite, and just prioritise the integration of quotes when structuring your sentences.

And on that note, be careful with the structure of your essay too. I know some teachers who wouldn't mind there being two body paragraphs, but others greatly prefer a minimum of three to ensure there's both depth and breadth in your ideas. If possible, try and find some way of splitting this to form three or four B.P.s, or just make sure you plan in advance to have a sufficiently broad discussion in future.

Only other point I'd like to make is in relation to spelling out your evidence - often you'd bring up an example from the text and state that it demonstrated or conveyed something, but the connection wasn't really clear. For instance:

Quote from: paragraph 2
The high modality present in, “only I like to manipulate the globe myself” emphasises the strong bias behind her recollections that is required for her rehabilitation and therefore her happiness.
How is it that the high modality of that quote emphasises her biased recollections? You need to be more specific in terms of how and why certain evidence is suppirting your points. It's kind of like you're starting and ending in exactly the right places, but you just need to make that crucial mid-way point more obvious in order to get credit for your discussion.

To address your concerns, I think you've examined the prompt and the notions of truth and happiness sufficiently, though the two-pronged discussion does make your exploration feel a bit too narrow. I'm not too sure what you mean by needing to 'evaluate' though - are you talking about your capacity to make judgements about the connections and ideas in both texts? Perhaps this is just terminology your teacher uses to describe something else, so if I'm wrong, let me know and maybe I can explain whether or not you've 'evaluated' well. Sorry I can't be more help on that front.

There's a great basis for discussion here, though, and you really just have to iron out a few issues with the structure of your approach, and you should be all good! :)

Feedback diiiiiiiii:
Spoiler
Analyse how the central values portrayed in Pride and Prejudice are creatively reshaped in Letters to Alice on First Reading Jane Austen.

The content and construction of texts are intrinsically linked with the social and historical factors inherent in a composer’s contemporary context. Accordingly, a comparative study of Jane Austen’s social satire Pride and Prejudice (1813)(Pride) just check with your teacher to make sure this is something you can do - I know it's frowned upon in VCE, but maybe HSC teachers are nicer when it comes to simplifying the titles and Fay Weldon’s meta-fictional hybrid novel Letters to Alice(1993)(Letters) demonstrates how a transition in context from Austen’s 19th Century <-- no need to capitalise this Regency England to Weldon’s late 20th century post-modern world engenders distinct societal values and attitudes. In light of shared authorial desire to examine notions of autonomy and theories of a moral education, acomparative reappraisal elucidates new insights, enabling connections between texts to creatively reshape values and enrich textual appreciations.

Austen and Weldon, united in their concerns for the suppressed female condition, radically advocate for individual autonomy against restrictive social constraints. Awesome topic sentence! Critical of legal institutions including the system of entailment which deprived women of financial independence, Austen in Pride make sure you put the title of the text in quotation marks or underline it when you handwrite essays censures her androcentric society for valuing marriage as an economic transaction instead of a romantic ideal. Indeed, her characterisation of Charlotte Lucas as the archetypal Georgian woman, evident by her cynical decree that “happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance”, exposes how conformation to societal expectations precludes individual felicity. niiiiice ;) As such, Charlotte becomes a foil to Elizabeth Bennet who is socially constructed by Austen to subvert social convention. Despite comprehending that matrimony entails financial and social stability within Regency context, Elizabeth’s emotive repudiation of Mr Collin’s proposal, on the grounds that her “feelings in every respect forbid it!”, highlights her desire to remain autonomous from traditional expectations of feminity. Unable to exert a similar degree of self-determination, Charlotte marries “the conceited, pompous...silly Mr Collins” for the “disinterested desire of an establishment”, and consequentially “sacrifices every better feeling to worldly advantage”, with the hyperbole emphasising the dichotomy between self-fulfilment and the gendered limitations of Georgian England. Great stuff. Be careful not to overdo the quotes as having three in such quick succession might be a bit overwhelming, but given that you've integrated them well and explain them sufficiently, what you've got at the moment is fine here. Contrasting Charlotte’s hapless relationship, Elizabeth’s union with Mr Darcy, evoked through individual aspirations and defiance of social expectations, no comma here is characterised by “connubial felicity” apparent in Elizabeth’s superlative declaration that she is “the happiest creature in the world”. Thus, Austen elevates individual autonomy over repressive social constructs, either no comma, or reword this to '...social constructs, as she infers it to be instrumental in achieving self fulfilment...' as instrumental to self-fulfilment and emotional contentment.

Likewise, Weldon in Letters eulogises the universal value of autonomy, reshaping it to her postmodern context by reflecting upon the reality of contemporary female emancipation. Weldon’s examination of Alice and Aunt Fay’s capacity to travel, pursue a career and attend university highlights the greater economic autonomy afforded to women, engendered through the Equal Pay Act (1970) unfortunately I'm limited in my experience here, but I believe assessors tend to frown on any mention of external evidence that doesn't directly contribute to your argument. I think it would be safer to simply say '...greater economic autonomy afforded to women, brought about by social advancements leading to more enlightened values regarding gender.' unless you have a specific reason for mentioning the Equal Pay Act. Empowered by the second wave feminist movement, Weldon trivialises the importance of marriage by juxtaposing “the stuff our women’s magazines..[with]...the stuff of their life” , whereby connotations of “stuff” relegate marriage to an “outmoded institution” within the 1980’s. In light of dissimilar contexts, Weldon’s construction of her fictional niece “Alice”- characterised “with black and green hair” in a manifestation of modern individuality- no dash or comma needed here captures the enduring value of autonomy by mirroring Austen’s subversive heroine, Elizabeth.  Whilst Austen subtly challenges established conventions, Weldon explicitly encourages Alice to adopt non-conformist ideals choose a different synonym here to prevent repetition with the quote by “swim[ming] against the stream of communal ideals”. The metaphor lends authority to her rhetorical question “How can I possibly tell you to run your life?”, rhetorically questioning how she can "possibly tell [her] to run [her] life,"emphasising the need for self-determination amidst social pressures.  Ironically, the persona of Aunt Fay seeks to impose her own prescriptive codes upon Alice, employing high modality and the imperative “must”, when asserting that Alice “must know how to read a novel..before..writing one”.  Consequently, the plot device of Alice attaining unorthodox literary success, having “sold more copies..than all of [Aunt Fay’s] novels put together” despite subverting Aunt Fay’s instructions, enables Weldon to communicate importance of autonomy for success and in doing so reshape Austen’s values. Awesome closer, and I'm loving the way you spell out your analysis here.

Furthermore, both Austen and Weldon are connected in their endorsement of a holistic education, propounding moral development via introspection and retrospective reappraisal.  In Pride, Austen, through allusion to Fordyce’s Sermons, criticises traditional modes of education, such as conduct books, for their inconsequential impact on moral growth. Satirising such ineffectual education, Austen constructs the caricature of Mary who, whilst described as “the most accomplished girl in the neighbourhood” for her study of “great books”, is ironically incapable of social sensibility, evident as as is evidenced by the fact that she “wished to say something sensible, but knew not how”. great analysis here Asserting the didactic axiom you don't really 'assert' an 'axiom.' 'Didactically asserting that...' would be fine here that “we all love to instruct, though we can teach only what is not worth knowing”, Austen, thus, conveys the notion that an valuable moral education is only attainable through introspection as opposed to external sources, reflecting Regency philosopher John Locke’s theory of epistemological development that “knowledge is a matter of reflection on experience”. This is an improvement as you've isolated a particular element of Locke's philosophy that is pertinent here, though again, I'm not sure whether this external reference is valuable. If your teacher is a fan, then ignore this, but in general, I'd say it's best to keep your analysis to the worlds of the text. Indeed, Elizabeth’s introspective perusal of Darcy’s letter, illustrated by self-contemplative language as she “read and reread with the greatest attention”, facilitates a newfound understanding “that she had been blind, partial, prejudiced, absurd”.  Contrasting Mary’s defective education, Elizabeth’s eclaircissement, Congratulations. You have used a verb I don't think I've ever seen used in an essay before. And you've used it properly. And it's quite a lovely word :) depicted by the epiphany “till this moment, I never knew myself!”, results in augmented self-knowledge as she is ultimately able to address her moral shortcomings.  Through Elizabeth’s bildungsroman careful; this is a noun, not an adjective. So you can refer to 'Pride and Prejudice' as a bildungsroman, but you can't comment on Elizabeth's 'bildungsroman journey' as this would be like commenting on her 'romance upbringing.' Think of the 'bildungsroman' as being a kind of sub-genre of novels just like 'romance' or 'tragedy' are. journey, Austen promulgates introspection as the most valuable form of education through either 'through extolling' or just 'given' its ability to improve an individual’s moral capacity. 

Whereas Austen champions introspection, Weldon in Letters promotes literature and its ability to develop empathy, as the greatest source of moral development. However within her 1980’s context, Weldon descries the declining value of literature due to technological proliferation, typified by modern obsession with “the tinny televisual representation of reality”. She censures Alice, a representative of modern society, for being “too unread, too little practised in empathy”, emphasising, through anaphora, how literary deprivation inhibits morality. Modelling Austen’s epistolary style to enhance her didactic assertions, Weldon encourages Alice to read “Literature with a capital L”, and in doing so echoes (careful with expression in these complex sentences) Darcy’s sentiment that reading “adds something more substantial in the improvement of [the] mind”.  Employing the extended metaphor of the “City of Invention”, Weldon captures the inherent value of literature to transcend contextual limitations, and thus provide readers with a diachronic understanding of “new” and “old” ways. As such, Weldon depicts literature’s ability to figuratively “stretch our sensibilities and our understandings” by prompting readers to empathise through vicarious experiences. This tenet of moral development is exemplified by Weldon’s reappraisal of Charlotte’s entry into marriage. Engaging in retrospective historiography, Weldon contextualises Pride through statistic data that “only thirty percent married...so to marry was a great prize”, effectively eliciting pathos from the responder to vindicate Charlotte’s decision of marrying Mr Collins. For failing to evoke such moral and empathetic responses, Weldon satirises institutionalised education in her parody of exam and essay rubrics “People are getting nastier, society nicer: Discuss”, this isn't integrated as well as your other quotes, and essay rubrics tend to apply to those tables with different criteria (like this), whereas what you've isolated here is more like an essay topic or prompt reflecting Austen’s critique of an ineffectual education. Thus, Weldon reshapes moral development to her postmodern context, advocating the literary canon in contrast to Austen’s value of introspection this would sound more natural as 'the value Austen places on introspection' or perhaps 'Austen's valuing of introspection'

Ultimately, by considering Pride and Letters in contiguity, it becomes apparent that Austen’s 19th century no caps values of autonomy and theories of moral development are creatively reshaped by Weldon to accommodate a transition in context to the 20th century. Thus, a comparative study of Pride and Letters, by accentuating authorial and contextual disparities, engenders deeper insights into parallel thematic concerns, enabling responders either 'readers' or 'audience' would be preferred to gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of both texts.

Awesome job - I can tell you've made an effort to improve the flow of everything. Your conclusion in particular is much more impressive now.

Sentences in blue are, as before, using that somewhat clunky structure; they don't all have to change, but those instances where you've got two in quick succession should be avoided in future. None of them are ungrammatical though, so it's not too big of a concern.

There were a few really minor issues with your word choices and quote integration, but again, nothing too severe. Most of them seem more like typos or slip-ups than the product of some mistake in your internal grammar. I've flagged them just so you get used to appraising and proofing your own work, though I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Now I'm going to give you some advice that I got from my Year 12 Literature teacher which I personally disagree with, but think is worth acknowledging: some assessors don't like it when students use big words. Disclaimer: I would defend your vocabulary here since it's clear that you know the meaning of the words you're using, but when you have sentences like "In light of shared authorial desire to examine notions of autonomy and theories of a moral education, comparative reappraisal elucidates new insights" - you can understand why a teacher might be inclined to be more critical of your expression and word usage later in your piece.

The way I rationalise this now is that, firstly, if you're using words and syntactic constructions that draw attention to your expression, it means you're drawing attention to your expression, and that means that any slip-up, no matter how slight, is going to be noticed. Secondly, some of the assessors will by dumber than you. C'est la vie. That shouldn't discourage you from using sophsiticated vocabulary, but it should make you wary of writing sentences that are overly complicated, even if they're technically 'right.'

In short, good vocabulary is efficient vocabulary. At present, the majority of the language you're using seems to be helping you express your ideas clearly and concisely, meaning that there shouldn't be a problem. If, however, you slip into the 'using-too-many-big-words-and-obfuscating-your-ideas' territory, then I could understand a marker taking umbrage at the quality of your writing.

So this isn't so much of a reflection on your current essay as it is a pre-emptive recommendation for the future, but keep an eye on your expression and always prioritise clarity and efficiency over seeming sophistication since I remember tipping the balance on a few of my practice essays back in the day, and my teacher was rather displeased :)

This is still a really solid piece of analysis though, and most of these comments are just pertaining to little things that need fine tuning, so you're definitely on the right track.

Good luck with it all!

*exhales*

As always, let me know if you have questions about any of these comments :)

lha

• Trendsetter
  • School: Lambton High School
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2016, 04:36:19 pm »
Hi lauren,

Thank you. For theevaluate part, I mean have I said how the author has explored truth and happiness well enough?

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2016, 07:10:08 pm »
Hi lauren,

Thank you. For the evaluate part, I mean have I said how the author has explored truth and happiness well enough?
Ahh, I see. I reckon your exploration is sufficient, but it's possible that your teacher will expect something more specific or explicit, so maybe check with them? But seeing as you've made your focus clear at the most crucial moments (ie. the intro, starts and ends of paragraphs, and the conclusion) you should be fine :)