Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:02:22 pm

Author Topic: Physical Education [3/4] Question Thread  (Read 44028 times)  Share 

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Physical Education [3/4] Question Thread
« on: November 10, 2014, 10:27:26 am »
+1
VCE PHYSICAL EDUCATION Q&A THREAD

What is this thread for?
If you have general questions about the VCE Physical Education course or how to improve in certain areas, this is the place to ask!

Who can/will answer questions?
Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable.

Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or your advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or whatever; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! 

There'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you, including TuteSmart tutors! So you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights - very cool.

To ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and completely free!

OTHER PE RESOURCES

Original post.
Welcome to the PE Board everyone :D
This thread can be used to ask any questions about the content of VCE Physical Education that you may have.
Good luck with PE!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 03:27:02 pm by PhoenixxFire »

evawu

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: Physical Education [3/4] Question Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 09:50:55 pm »

Welcome to the PE Board everyone :D
This thread can be used to ask any questions about the content of VCE Physical Education that you may have.
Good luck with PE!
YAY Smiley!!! So glad to be bracing PE next year with an amazing moderator like you! :D :D
Your support is invaluable and greatly appreciated  :)
2014: Health
2015: English Language | Biology | PE | Chem | Methods

evawu

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 01:13:34 pm »
Hey Smiley! :)

I was just wondering, what do you need to try for a 50 in PE? What are some things that should be done during the year and key things to know/practice?
(e.g. for legal studies, my friend learnt the whole course in 2 terms and did practice exams for the rest of the year-- he landed a 50)
2014: Health
2015: English Language | Biology | PE | Chem | Methods

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 01:24:11 pm »
+1
Hey Smiley! :)

What are some things that should be done during the year and key things to know/practice?
(e.g. for legal studies, my friend learnt the whole course in 2 terms and did practice exams for the rest of the year-- he landed a 50)

Some tips for PE next year are:
To apply think about how everything can be related to real life. There are so many situations where this is possible! Playing sport and thinking about how the energy systems are interacting, watching the football and thinking about which performance enhancing substances/methods might be used, making sure you are meeting the national physical activity guidelines + many more!

Really study and know lactate inflection point to death! It will be tested and everyone loses marks on this topic.

Cue cards can be really helpful to get all of the content learnt (but not everyone learns best this way)

Vexna

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Drouin Secondary College
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 10:03:05 am »
What are the characteristics of each type of muscle fibre (Fast-twitch and slow-twitch)?
I'm struggling to understanding these.

Thanks.

nickjparkinson

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Nick Parkinson
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 03:14:40 pm »
+2
Fast-twitch fibres (type IIa and IIb) are those which are more
anaerobic
[/b] in character. That means that these have a greater ability to produce force and have greater stores of anaerobic fuels than slow-twitch fibres (such as ATP and CP).

Slow-twitch fibres are aerobic in that they are built more for endurance. They contain more mitochondria and myoglobin: components we associate with aerobic metabolism. Below is a graph that summarises this.

You'll notice that fast-twitch type IIa is the intermediate/between fast-twitch type IIb and slow twitch.

Note that you do not need to know the ins and outs of fibres types. Just be aware that high-performing anaerobic athletes will tend to have more fast-twitch and vice versa.

Good luck for the year ahead!

Smarter VCE Lectures, Classes and Resources

PE classes from a Premier's Award winner. From less than $25/hour.

Atar: 99.95
Raw scores:
P.E. - 50 + Premier's Award
English - 50
Chemistry - 50

Lecturer and content creator with Connect Education

Tilley12

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 09:02:32 am »
I have some conflicting info.  :'(  Is A-V02 difference an adaptation of the cardiovascular system or the muscular system???

Math_lord

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 05:22:40 pm »
Hey guys,
Im currently in year 10 and next year i have been offered the opportunity to do Physical Education 3/4, skipping units 1/2.
Do you guys think I should go ahead with this option or should i do 1/2???

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 05:39:24 pm »
Hey guys,
Im currently in year 10 and next year i have been offered the opportunity to do Physical Education 3/4, skipping units 1/2.
Do you guys think I should go ahead with this option or should i do 1/2???

It's definitely doable - but I would make sure you fully understand that phys ed in Year 12 is very different to what it is in the lower years. It is a theoretical subject, basically addressing sport related science rather than practical. I remember when I did PE (this was a few years ago, apologies if major changes have been made since), the most practical I did was a 6 week training program and a few other practicals to support some case studies. Apart from that, it was all theory.

You need to ask yourself whether it is relevant to you at all for your future aspirations. If not, i'd probably pick something that is.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Math_lord

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 11:46:17 am »
Quote from: Aaron link
It's definitely doable - but I would make sure you fully understand that phys ed in Year 12 is very different to what it is in the lower years. It is a [b
theoretical[/b] subject, basically addressing sport related science rather than practical. I remember when I did PE (this was a few years ago, apologies if major changes have been made since), the most practical I did was a 6 week training program and a few other practicals to support some case studies. Apart from that, it was all theory.

You need to ask yourself whether it is relevant to you at all for your future aspirations. If not, i'd probably pick something that is.
Im considering doing Medicine in the future, do you think it will be helpful if i stufy this next year?

Sahej1506

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 04:39:12 pm »
Hey guys, I had a question regarding the social ecological model. I was wondering why just addressing one level of the social ecological model wouldn't be as effective as targeting strategies across multiple levels

ally12579

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 03:52:46 pm »
Hey guys, I had a question regarding the social ecological model. I was wondering why just addressing one level of the social ecological model wouldn't be as effective as targeting strategies across multiple levels

By addressing multiple levels of the model the intervention is more likely to be successful because it can break down the different barriers that stop people from being physically active. By only addressing one, for example educating a person about physical education to target the personal level of the model, the person may now understand why physical activity is important, but the environment around that person must be accomodating for them to actually go out and exercise. Again, if only the physical environment is changed then a person may still have personal barriers which stop them from going out and utilising the space. Targeting one level of the model may be effective in a very small amount of cases where there is only barriers in one level of the model. But in general, only targeting one level will not be as effective.

sampolack99

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 08:41:26 pm »
I was just wondering what would be a really good PA initiative strategy to focus on for my upcoming SAC. Preferably focused on primary school children but just need some ideas on any age groups really.
2016: Further [50]
2017: Biology | English | HHD | Methods | PE

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 07:06:10 pm »
+2
I was just wondering what would be a really good PA initiative strategy to focus on for my upcoming SAC. Preferably focused on primary school children but just need some ideas on any age groups really.

Hi - I know this reply is probably too late, unfortunately - but the Walking School Bus was always my go-to program for the school setting. Other than that, 10,000 Steps, Stairway to Health and Go For Your Life are good ones to look at!

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 12:33:07 pm »
+5
Hi everyone,

Just to introduce myself, I'm Tim, the ATAR Notes VCE P.E. lecturer. I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be monitoring this board much more closely now (at least a couple of times per week) so feel free to chuck up any P.E (or general study) questions that you have and I'll do my best to answer them promptly and succinctly.

Cheers!! ;D

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth