Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:45:48 pm

Author Topic: Looking toward 2017: ask your Psych questions here  (Read 17379 times)  Share 

TooLazy

• Trendsetter
  • 2014 Forest Hills Drive
  • Respect: +23
Re: Looking toward 2017: ask your Psych questions here
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2017, 10:34:53 pm »
+2
Yeah, I think you've hit the nail on the head, nt2387 - you definitely need to know the concepts, but probably not word-for-word definitions. :)

Honestly Psychology seems so much more appealing this year  :(
Future engineer

Graciejk

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2017, 07:46:15 pm »
Where can I find practice SACs for AOS1 that are actually relevant to this years study design?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2017, 05:29:51 pm »
Honestly Psychology seems so much more appealing this year  :(

I reckon the old study design was way better! Hahaha.

Where can I find practice SACs for AOS1 that are actually relevant to this years study design?

Hey, Graciejk! Welcome to ATAR Notes (except for that one post in March last year ;)). ;D

To be perfectly honest, I think you must struggle to find up-to-date practice SACs, which sort of sucks. :-\ What textbook do you have?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Hydroxyl

• Trendsetter
  • Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2017, 11:55:42 pm »
Hey!

So I'm using the Grivas Jacaranda textbook and it doesn't really differentiate b/w major stressors and catastrophes (except that one disrupts whole communities).

Any way to differentiate them?

Also, were sources of stress in the old SD?

Thank You!
2016: Biology [41] | Further Mathematics [42]
2017: Chemistry [36] | Mathematical Methods [38] | English [44] | Psychology [50 + Premier's Award]
ATAR: 98.25
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Science (Psychology) — The University of Melbourne
2021-2024: Doctor of Medicine — Griffith University (Gold Coast)
~ My Success is only from Allah ~

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2017, 03:35:42 pm »
Hey!

So I'm using the Grivas Jacaranda textbook and it doesn't really differentiate b/w major stressors and catastrophes (except that one disrupts whole communities).

Thank You!

From what I can infer, a major stressor is a stressful event for almost everyone who experiences it whereas a catastrophe is a sudden unpredictable event that causes large scale damage and is a major stressor for a whole community.
VCE
Spoiler
2017: Psychology [45]
2018: Economics [50] Legal Studies [42] Methods [37] Accounting [46] English Language [36]
ATAR: 98.4
Open to tutoring and selling notes for some of these subjects, PM me for more details!

Uni
Spoiler
Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2017, 06:51:01 pm »
+3
Hey!

Thank You!

Great question - they are quite similar at times!

A major stressor is an event that is frightening for nearly everyone that is involved (e.g. an armed robbery). A catastrophe is something that disrupts a greater number of people (usually) (e.g. Black Saturday, or Cyclone Debbie for timeliness).

Sources of stress were on the old study design - but they were completely different to the current ones, so you won't find anything helpful in past resources or exams, unfortunately!

Hope that helps!

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

Hydroxyl

• Trendsetter
  • Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2017, 02:00:46 pm »
+1
From what I can infer, a major stressor is a stressful event for almost everyone who experiences it whereas a catastrophe is a sudden unpredictable event that causes large scale damage and is a major stressor for a whole community.

Great question - they are quite similar at times!

A major stressor is an event that is frightening for nearly everyone that is involved (e.g. an armed robbery). A catastrophe is something that disrupts a greater number of people (usually) (e.g. Black Saturday, or Cyclone Debbie for timeliness).

Sources of stress were on the old study design - but they were completely different to the current ones, so you won't find anything helpful in past resources or exams, unfortunately!

Hope that helps!

Thank You! Sorry for the completely delayeeeedddd response.

Does anyone have any tips to stop Research Methods from making you cry? XD (Not literally, but you know what I mean :P )
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 02:04:11 pm by Hydroxyl »
2016: Biology [41] | Further Mathematics [42]
2017: Chemistry [36] | Mathematical Methods [38] | English [44] | Psychology [50 + Premier's Award]
ATAR: 98.25
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Science (Psychology) — The University of Melbourne
2021-2024: Doctor of Medicine — Griffith University (Gold Coast)
~ My Success is only from Allah ~

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2017, 01:17:49 pm »
+3
Thank You! Sorry for the completely delayeeeedddd response.

Does anyone have any tips to stop Research Methods from making you cry? XD (Not literally, but you know what I mean :P )

To be honest, I always found research methods a pretty comfortable area. As long as you know your basic content (e.g. types of sampling, experimental designs), there are some easy MC marks on the exam. One tip I would note is to understand p-values and look at the wording that VCAA uses with p-values (VCAA 2015 exam, Section C, bottom of page 32 is a good example of this). Let me know if you want me to explain p-values further - I don't want to waste your time when there's a good chance you already get it :)

Other than that, my advice would be pretty simple - do practice questions. I would particularly focus on the extended response question from 2016 and the 2017 sample exam, as I would expect this years to be similar.

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2017, 01:50:46 pm »
+2
Oh my god, I have practice Sac's and exams for this current study design!!!
I was going to link them on different forum (thread?), but since you all are looking for resources this would be a perfect forum!!!!!

Hope ya'll benifit from these!!  ;) ;)

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2017, 01:52:55 pm »

This is a very delayed response but I just found these resources recently so I'll link AOS 1 resources for you!

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2017, 04:01:51 pm »
To be honest, I always found research methods a pretty comfortable area. As long as you know your basic content (e.g. types of sampling, experimental designs), there are some easy MC marks on the exam. One tip I would note is to understand p-values and look at the wording that VCAA uses with p-values (VCAA 2015 exam, Section C, bottom of page 32 is a good example of this). Let me know if you want me to explain p-values further - I don't want to waste your time when there's a good chance you already get it :)

Other than that, my advice would be pretty simple - do practice questions. I would particularly focus on the extended response question from 2016 and the 2017 sample exam, as I would expect this years to be similar.

Just confirming, but aren't p-values no longer part of the study design, given that VCAA is trying to move away from such clear-cut concepts?

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2017, 04:53:29 pm »
+2
Just confirming, but aren't p-values no longer part of the study design, given that VCAA is trying to move away from such clear-cut concepts?

They're not explicitly listed on the study design any more that I can see, you're right. Personally, I'm still teaching them (and I would personally recommend that you have a basic understanding of them) because they're not explicitly excluded either, and stats are still listed under research methods.

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2017, 04:48:55 pm »
I know that there is no definite answer but assuming I have high GA1 and GA2 scores, approximately how much is one mark worth on the exam at the higher grades (ie. High A+)? Eg. How much study score would I lose if I dropped 4 marks etc?
If it makes any difference, the exam is out of 120 marks.
Thank you

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2017, 07:22:10 pm »
+1
I know that there is no definite answer but assuming I have high GA1 and GA2 scores, approximately how much is one mark worth on the exam at the higher grades (ie. High A+)? Eg. How much study score would I lose if I dropped 4 marks etc?
If it makes any difference, the exam is out of 120 marks.
Thank you

Hi! I couldn't tell you, but in the section of the forum linked below (Victorian Technical Score Discussion) there's a bunch of threads on study scores and how to estimate them:

https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?board=2.0

Cheers