Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:02:40 am

Poll

Whats your situation? (pls vote im curious) *vote to see results*

Got an offer but declined
3 (8.1%)
Got an offer and accepted it
22 (59.5%)
Fully rejected
12 (32.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: January 27, 2022, 09:51:21 am

Author Topic: Who else is waiting for the results?? (2021 yr 9 entrance exam)  (Read 25609 times)  Share 

HiKal

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Who else is waiting for the results?? (2021 yr 9 entrance exam)
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2021, 06:31:05 pm »
Hey is anyone doing the exam in 2022?

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2021, 10:45:42 pm »
True!

OckTheOctopus

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2021, 08:09:06 pm »
Maths - S
Numerical Reasoning - HA
Verbal Reasoning - S
Reading Comprehension - S

I got into MHS :)
I have a friend who got 3 sups and an AA but got in through second round. This is what being in a competitive school does ig :/

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2021, 08:39:14 pm »
Maths - S
Numerical Reasoning - HA
Verbal Reasoning - S
Reading Comprehension - S

I got into MHS :)
I have a friend who got 3 sups and an AA but got in through second round. This is what being in a competitive school does ig :/

Nice scores Ock! Is anyone here going to try out for jmss (just out of curiosity bc I have a friend who didn't get in and is trying out next year)

KenW

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2021, 09:02:56 pm »
Hey, what's going on with the yr 9 admissions?
Is this for people applying to schools like MHS/Mac rob etc?

Dang though, it's crazy how people are talking about 2nd round offers etc. I thought that was a VTAC thing only
Class of 2021
2022-2026: BMedSc/M.D @ Monash

trelo

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #140 on: December 24, 2021, 11:53:49 am »
I did not get selected in any of the rounds.

This is my result from only studying 2 weeks before the exam (because of procrastination) and going in basically clueless in Maths and Numerical Reasoning - and I'm also attending a competitive school in the east.

VR = Superior
RC = Superior
NR = Above Average
M = Above Average

I'm pretty disappointed knowing I could've gotten selected if I didn't procrastinate and worked hard, especially in Maths.
Oh well, guess we go again for JMSS next year. :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 07:00:09 pm by trelo »

starjasmine

• Adventurer
« Reply #141 on: December 25, 2021, 01:57:52 am »
VR - sup
NR - ha
RC - sup
M - sup

got into macrob :D
i honestly thought I failed when i came back from the exam cos it was so hard-
I guess everyone found it hard too so it all evens out :)

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #142 on: December 25, 2021, 02:15:15 am »
Yeah me too, after the exam I felt down for a couple of days (thinking that I had performed bad and everyone else a higher standard than me), but somehow I got a great score. My parents specifically bought a house near NHS and hopefully I would get in, otherwise I would have to go to some average school. Just glad I got in and hopefully all of you will succeed at other things too :D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 09:00:20 pm by Selective User »

Marin Kitagawa

• Adventurer
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2022, 11:13:52 pm »
I got an E-mail..and I didn't get in :(

bruh rip

omgherryan

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #144 on: June 06, 2022, 04:14:18 pm »
Well, I'm not an expert on anything, so my answer might not be 100% accurate (but I did get in). I can tell you stuff like which tuitions were helpful in my opinion and what I did to prepare:

Real Exam (Personal Experience):

Hendersons asks people about how the real exam went and this is what I wrote in their thing:

Mathematics - This year, the mathematics component was extremely difficult and almost all students were unable to finish it. Most guessed around 20-30 questions (I guess 20) and the questions were of a high calibre, as well as hard to complete in timed questions due to their working out required.
The 4 starting questions were all about basic numerology numbers, decimal/fraction addition/subtraction/multiplication/division, but from then the exams became much harder. There were a couple of questions on probability, 2 different graphs to interpret (about 3 questions each) and two angle questions as well as a circle geometry question(which were all quite hard). Hendersons should make their maths harder by adding more formula-based questions and making it harder it general (by putting more difficult numbers to work with - the maths questions require plenty of working and by Q30 I think I had already finished my piece of working out paper).

Numerical Reasoning - As with mathematics, the NR component was very difficult, though slightly easier than the maths. The questions were very lengthy, and on the first page itself, complex word problems were given (which could be solved, given a minute per question, but were hard to do within 36 seconds). People guessed about 20-25 and it was difficult to read, understand and work out all those questions within the time limit. Hendersons should make their NR more challenging for future students by adding more word problems.
Some questions I remember were about the different routes to travel, some complex word problems about permutations/combinations (and also there were little to no number patterns which surprised me), data interpretation, and general word problems about age, SDT, volume/SA, geometry and more.

Verbal Reasoning - One thing that stood out was that verbal reasoning questions were very similar to henderson's exams. Most kids would have gotten about 40-45/60 in verbal reasoning, but then still had to guess about 5-10. The level of difficulty for me was a little under moderate.
Some question types were to use options and find out whether the two base words make a real compound word, syllogisms, a slightly time-consuming question about seating arrangements (if x sits next to y and y sits opposite to z etc), finding two statements which prove that, 2 questions on letter patterns, 3-4 questions on find a hidden word that continues on from two words, which word best suits both these categories (for categories like "shout" and "wood", bark would be the answer) and a few more questions. There were little anagrams, no family tree questions, little foreign language questions and no shape logic.

Reading Comprehension - The first thing to note is that reading comp was quite easy, though Hendersons makes it quite difficult (it should be made easier). The questions directed you to the line number and the passages were not too lengthy (only one ¾ page passage was there at the end).
There were 2 poems (about 10 lines and 6 lines), an informative text about ethos, pathos and logos, two cartoons - one about how trees would be planted everywhere if they had wifi and one about globalisation and how humans consume too many resources for our population. There was not much about grammar (I think 3-4), but in general RC was easy, Most people would have attained a score of around 38-42/50.

Basic Info/Summary:

Not many people did well in the maths components (guessed around half), but most did pretty good in the english components.
There is no working out paper, aside from the back of the answer sheet.
The answer sheet was split up into columns of 15 and went till 60.
The papers were different colours:
VR - Yellow
NR - Green
RC - Pink
Math - White (2020’s colour was blue according to another user)
A superior is the top 11%, and the next 12% gets an above average, then the next 17% gets a high average, then the next 20% gets an average, then the next 17% gets a below average and the last 23% gets the lowest score (not sure what it is called). This is according to James an.
I think the test will be easier next year though, so don't worry too much about it and don't study too much at the start because it becomes really boring towards the end and when the exam is close.

I hope everyone who is doing the selective exams of Victoria finds this useful and best of luck to you all!

BTW Ock, what school did you choose, MHS?
Thanks sir