Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:21:38 pm

Author Topic: Ancient History Essay (Need Help)  (Read 4058 times)

VaciveMind

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Ancient History Essay (Need Help)
« on: May 21, 2021, 12:47:59 am »
The invasion of the Hyksos and their domination over the Nile Delta region of Egypt made the Egyptians “proud superiority” gained from their achievements in the Middle Kingdom period, meaningless to the point of humiliation. But most importantly, the Hyksos invasion had an extensive and consequential impact on the development of ancient Egypt, as they laid the foundations that were crucial for the triumph of the New Kingdom period. This was achieved through the Hyksos providing an incentive for the Egyptians to improve and cultivate. The Hyksos had introduced advanced and sophisticated weaponry and technology, essential for the remobilisation of the Egyptian military. Furthermore, the Hyksos opened new opportunities for trade and more efficient agriculture techniques. In addition, the Hyksos had an everlasting influence on ancient Egypt’s religious and cultural aspects of its society.   

The success of the Hyksos invasion proved their superiority in military prowess and technology. So it wasn’t a surprise that when Ahmose had driven the Hyksos away, the Egyptians adopted the Hyksos’ more sophisticated weaponry to advance the capabilities of Egypt’s military, and regain their title as superior, further boosting the development of ancient Egypt. The Hyksos had introduced the use of horses and chariots in warfare and played an important role in their victory over the Egyptians who only familiar with infantry. A written source from a bibliography by Ahmose, son of Ebana, who was a military elite under the Pharoah Ahmose and Thut I, mentions the chariot during his exploits in defeating the Hyksos from Egypt, “Thus I used to accompany the Sovereign – life, prosperity, health! -on foot, following his excursions in his chariot”. This provides evidence that the Hyksos had introduced the use of chariots in warfare to the Egyptians. Archaeological finds in King Tuts tomb also prove the Egyptians had even perfected the chariot compared to its Hyksos counterpart, further emphasising its importance in warfare. Sources such as Ahmose Son of Ebana, Ahmose Penkhebet’s bibliographies establish evidence of chariot use in the military seen further down the line with Thut I, Thut II, and Thut III such as their collective victories in Nubia, expeditions in Retenu and Asiatic campaigns. This piece of evidence demonstrates the significance of the chariot being used through the generations. Therefore, the introduction of the chariot to the Egyptians by the Hyksos contributed to the success of their campaigns, expansion of their military power, and development of ancient Egypt. Advanced weaponry had also been used by the Hyksos in their dominance over Egypt. The composite bow, Khopesh, and battle axe were some of the most influential weapons that the Egyptians adopted for their army. The composite bow was made from higher quality material with a vastly improved performance compared to an ordinary Egyptian bow. There are many occasions where kings are depicted holding a composite bow such as the archaeological evidence of the ‘Scarab of Thutmose I’ depicting Thutmose I on a chariot drawing a composite bow, suggesting that this advanced weapon was a symbol of power, especially important for a warrior king. A written source from Ahmose, son of Ebana reads “His Majesty having shot (Thut I), his first arrow sank into the chest of that foe.”. This piece of evidence plus the scarab corroborates the idea that the composite bow was not only a symbol of power but a vital piece of equipment that infantry and chariotry could use to dominate the opposing side. Ultimately, through the introduction of technology such as the chariot and weaponry such as the composite bow, the Hyksos has most definitely impacted the development of the Egyptian military, thus ancient Egypt. Furthermore, the Hyksos had also impacted ancient Egypt’s trade and agriculture.

The success of Egypt in the New Kingdom period was brought about by Hyksos’ introduction of new agriculture techniques and trade routes, enabling the Egyptians to not only gather essential materials, metals, and items, but gather the wealth needed to expand the economy and fulfil the needs of the kings. The Hyksos had most likely been trading with the Egyptians for a while, the Hyksos’ achievements and strong trade connections with western Asia provided essential materials for their advanced weaponry, creating vital connections and trade routes between long distance traders for the Egyptians to uphold once the Hyksos had been kicked out. A tomb located at Hierakonpolis contained Lapis lazuli Afghanistan, silver barrel beads from eastern Anatolia, turquoise and obsidian blades from Ethiopia. This archaeological evidence proves that long distance trading had successfully been achieved by the Hyksos and passed onto the Egyptians, hence contributing to the development of ancient Egypt and its economy. In the New Kingdom, trade was essential for gaining the wealth necessary for rulers to build and expand. Important religious monuments like the Temple of Karnak, the Colossi of Memnon, and the mortuary temple of Hatshepsut bring forth perfect evidence for the importance of trade and Egypt’s wealth. The Hyksos had also influenced the way the Egyptians used the Inundation of the Nile for their agriculture. New irrigation methods had been introduced by the Hyksos, Egyptologist Barbara Watterson explains “the Upper Egyptian farmer had to be inventive… learned to cooperate with his neighbours in harnessing the river water through the building of irrigation canals and drainage ditches”. The Egyptians would eventually expand the use of canals       

emilywilcox

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Ancient History Essay (Need Help)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 06:37:25 pm »
+2
I do Ancient and had a look at your essay out of curiosity. I never studied this topic so for this I have a brand new perspective rather than assuming the marker knows everything.
The first thing I noticed was that there were no dates! I couldn't tell any historical context from this. My teacher always mentions dates, dates, dates I have no idea how long this battle lasted for.
Next, I noticed that your terminology started off strong in the introduction but faded later in into the body paragraphs, there are lots more effective ways to say"This piece of evidence".
I feel as if your essay needed more background context to your archaeological evidence and finally needed to be way more specific. it Most importantly, provide a judgement especially of the historians. I'm not sure what the question was for this but ability to form a judgement/argument, supported by sources and interpretations is important to tie the essay together. I feel as if I got lots of evidence like great now what does ALL of that tell us.

Sorry if this was too much, especially with someone with no knowledge on the topic lol but hope this helps :)