Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 05:11:17 pm

Author Topic: General Question about Psychology  (Read 2660 times)  Share 

Redden380_

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
General Question about Psychology
« on: February 16, 2021, 07:45:16 pm »
Hi all,
So I've been doing unit 2 of psychology and despite the fact that the year has just begun, I feel like the topics that we cover are somewhat bland. We are currently visual perception, and I find that the more that I ask questions, the more I tend to spiral out and I realise that I am unable to truly understand a topic. Because of that, I quickly lose interest and divert my attention. To give you an idea, we're covering synthaesia at the moment, and I'm really confused how a person actually perceives colour when they view a word or an image. In class, I would ask the teacher this question (one that I understand that she may not be able to fully answer herself), but the fact that it's a really difficult question to even begin to get to the bottom of makes me put off the subject. Maybe it's just that I've covered a sliver of the entire course, but I really dislike not knowing why things are the way they are. Even if I try to get the answers of these said questions, I honestly feel that everything is quite vague. My question for past psych students (or even those currently doing psych) is: Is the content always going to be as bland (I don't mean that to be an attack, it's just my opinion) as it is now? If you were to give some advice on actually trying to enjoy the subject (somewhat), what would it be?

p.s. Please take my opinion with a grain of salt, I don't intend to be naive, but this is what I truly think.

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
Re: General Question about Psychology
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 09:14:34 pm »
+5
Maybe it's just that I've covered a sliver of the entire course, but I really dislike not knowing why things are the way they are. Even if I try to get the answers of these said questions, I honestly feel that everything is quite vague.
I did VCE psych as well two other sciences, and I hate to break it to you but in the field of science, there is actually a lot we don't know- which is the beauty of science. VCE only covers the tip of how deep the sciences are, and actually, your ability to question the way you do demonstrates high-quality skills that the field of science needs.
I do agree with you that visual perception is very dry, I didn't like it and I was happy to not see it in Unit 3/4.
My question for past psych students (or even those currently doing psych) is: Is the content always going to be as bland (I don't mean that to be an attack, it's just my opinion) as it is now? If you were to give some advice on actually trying to enjoy the subject (somewhat), what would it be?
There is a lot to cover in VCE Psych, you will get to learn about; neurotransmission (how the brain sends messages to make up move), the structure of the brain that contribute to development, intelligence and behaviour, attitude formation (power, obedience and discrimination). You will find that VCE Psych will answer alot of the question you may have about yourself, your mind and your behaviour. Give VCE Psych the chance to impress you with remarking findings that have been discorved in the faculty of psychology, I am sure you will enjoy it.

VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis