Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 08:15:23 am

Author Topic: Should incorrect spelling be penalised in HSC exams?  (Read 3927 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Should incorrect spelling be penalised in HSC exams?
« on: February 09, 2021, 11:25:03 am »
+4
Is this the reason our kids can't spell? HSC students aren't penalised for making basic grammar and spelling mistakes in their final English exam - and experts are calling for a change
See article here - Daily Mail Australia.

What do you think? Should we - or those assessing HSC papers - care about spelling and grammar? Should incorrect spelling result in lost marks?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: Should incorrect spelling be penalised in HSC exams?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 12:06:20 pm »
Most certainly. Maybe not the odd one, but after a while, it gets just too much.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 12:09:44 pm »
Most certainly. Maybe not the odd one, but after a while, it gets just too much.

How would you organise that logistically? Like tell markers, "for every five spelling errors, deduct one mark"? From where do they dock the mark - a specific question?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 12:13:25 pm »
How would you organise that logistically? Like tell markers, "for every five spelling errors, deduct one mark"? From where do they dock the mark - a specific question?
Have a certain number of marks being spelling marks? And then the assessor looks over the whole paper and decides how many marks to give? (Making it clear beforehand of course to the students, x marks are spelling/grammar marks.)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 12:41:48 pm »
+9
I'd actually disagree pretty strongly with this article - I think that assigning specific marks to spelling and grammar would do little to improve outcomes but end up lowering the overall quality of responses by taking away from the focus of the unit.

Quote from: NESA English Advanced Syllabus
The study of English in Stage 6 develops in students an understanding of literary expression and nurtures an appreciation of aesthetic values. It develops skills to enable students to experiment with ideas and expression, to become innovative, active, independent learners, to collaborate and to reflect on their learning

Also, I'd say that the article doesn't take into consideration of the fact that markers do indirectly assess those concerns though the language and clarity of the response, which includes appropriate use of spelling, grammar, and legibility:

Quote from: Extract from 2020 HSC Advanced Paper Marking Criteria
Demonstrates skillful control of language and structure appropriate to audience, purpose, context and form

Personally I think the current marking criteria is a pretty good compromise - even if you make lots of basic spelling mistakes but your argument flows and makes sense, you get the marks, whereas if you're using big words incorrectly, writing illegibly, or otherwise not communicating well, you get marks deducted. Considering the fact that exam conditions means writing a (usually 6 page I was told) essay in 45 minutes, spending 5 minutes at the end of an exam to proofread your response is a pretty significant time investment and honestly, having correct spelling/grammar really doesn't add much if the response is still around the same legibility and the marker understands the argument well. Especially considering the paper format of HSC exams, it's difficult and time consuming to be editing a second time as it involves crossing things out, squeezing text into margins, and whatnot which I'd say decreases the legibility of the response later down the track.

One more thing is that I don't think spelling and grammar can be assessed fairly - for example, someone studying 16th century poetry or any of Shakespeare's texts is going to have a much harder time with spelling and grammar than someone studying a contemporary text. Would it really be fair to penalise someone for using the using the modern spelling of "sun" versus the 16th century spelling of "sunne"? Obviously that's a bit of an extreme example but hopefully that highlights some of differences in form between standard and advanced texts which might be unfair (as advanced will generally engage with older texts like Shakespeare which requires greater understanding of context and weird words). And just in general, I don't think someone who's able to properly understand and engage with HSC level texts will need to worry about spelling and grammar.

I guess what I'm really trying to say at this point is that this isn't an HSC problem - and I think this article is fundamentally flawed by positioning it as one. The idea that not marking spelling and grammar in the HSC is the "reason our kids can't spell" implies that we're suppose to be teaching spelling and grammar in HSC when it really should have been nailed down much earlier. The article even supports this to an extent:

Quote from: The article
University of Technology literacy expert Dr Don Carter added teachers were letting down their students in junior years by not focusing on spelling and physical writing activities...

...The comment comes after a damning review into the NAPLAN test - taken by students in years 3, 5, 7, and 9 - was released in September 2020.

The review found writing has not improved since 2011 and the gap remains significant between male and female students. Almost a quarter of Year 9 boys failed to meet the minimum standards, while 10 per cent of Year 9 girls fell short.

Maybe with a different syllabus and with a different exam format I'd support the assessment of spelling and grammar, but I feel that those are sufficiently covered within the current format of this course.

EDIT: RE: The Cat In The Hat and Joseph41 I think that docking marks for x number of spelling mistakes would be a bit counterintuitive since people who write more or try to use more complex/in depth language would be penalised since that would likely naturally lead to more mistakes under timed conditions. I also feel like it might incentivise people to write less or use simpler language. I guess you could do a % of mistakes in relation to word count but that comes with it's own problems.

Sorry for the massive text dump I didn't realise there were already comments and I couldn't be bothered to rewrite my answer
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 12:54:10 pm by Justin_L »
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 08:24:08 pm »
+3
See article here - Daily Mail Australia.

What do you think? Should we - or those assessing HSC papers - care about spelling and grammar? Should incorrect spelling result in lost marks?

Interesting article, these are my thoughts:

I feel like if the HSC markers were focusing on the piece of work and the spelling/ grammar mistakes, they may be continuously seeking for words that are incorrect or a comma out of place than the piece itself. Like Justin said above, the marking criteria refers to the controlling of language and structure, so a marker could essentially critique spelling and grammar. But I think there could be more of a stronger focus and encouragement of having the correct grammar and spelling throughout high school.

Also, with the time restraints and the need to produce a logical response with many quotes, some people might feel more pressured to write as much as they can, whilst thinking about the text, question and quotes; disregarding a silly spelling mistake here and there.

Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5