Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:28:24 pm

Author Topic: So I've become kinda partial to speedcubing  (Read 19302 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: So I've become kinda partial to speedcubing
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2021, 09:02:58 pm »
+4
Wow! This is really fast, good job ;D
Do you have a time you are aiming for next?

Knocking off 0.03 seconds would be great! Haha. Otherwise, a sub 30 average of 100 would be neat.

Thanks Coolmate. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2021, 11:10:59 am »
+5
16.95 PB. :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2021, 10:40:24 am »
+6
Current PBs:

- Single: 20.02
- AO5: 28.27
- AO12: 30.29
- AO100: 32.85

That single PB (20.02) is hilariously close to sub 20. I just got it now - I'm pleased, but so it was so frustrating at the same time.

- Single: 16.95
- AO5: 26.00
- AO12: 27.89
- AO100: 30.14

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2021, 04:16:55 pm »
+6
- AO5: 26.00
- AO12: 27.89
- AO100: 30.14

- AO5: 24.55
- AO12: 25.69
- AO100: 28.71

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2021, 02:59:57 pm »
+3
- AO5: 24.55
- AO12: 25.69
- AO100: 28.71

- Single: 0.16.28
- MO3: 0.22.71
- AO5: 0.24.20
- AO12: 0.25.65
- AO25: 0.26.79
- AO50: 0.27.83
- AO100: 0.28.10
- AO200: 0.28.53
- AO500: 0.28.74
- AO1000: 0.29.04

Jinju-san

• Trailblazer
  • ‘The harder the conflict, the greater the triumph'
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2021, 01:32:16 pm »
+1
Heyo!
So its been ages since I last came on here. But I’ve been practising and I’m proud to say that I’ve managed to get my best single lowest time of 52 seconds!!! My average is 1:15 ish (still not that great haha). But I have just started learning CFOP.

I was wondering if the cube that I’m using makes any difference? If so, are there any other cubes that you’d recommend for speed cubing?
Thanks

schoolstudent115

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2021, 02:47:29 pm »
+2
Heyo!
So its been ages since I last came on here. But I’ve been practising and I’m proud to say that I’ve managed to get my best single lowest time of 52 seconds!!! My average is 1:15 ish (still not that great haha). But I have just started learning CFOP.

I was wondering if the cube that I’m using makes any difference? If so, are there any other cubes that you’d recommend for speed cubing?
Thanks
Nice stuff. The cube choice, as long as it is a speed cube shouldn't make too much of a difference. At your stage, it is more about technique and the method you use. The original brand rubiks cube is really bad for speedcubing, and even a cheap speedcube should be just fine. My cube is around $20 (not exactly cheap, but it's quite reasonable considering the alternatives), I haven't cubed for MANY months now, but my last ao12 was about 19 seconds. If I try do it now, I get sub-25 so I'd need to get back into it again to reach the sub-20 level again.

You will find your times will get significantly faster as your F2L improves (this is probably the hardest part). My f2l took more than 30 seconds at first, but over time you know (almost algorithmically) how to do each case by muscle memory. Now my F2L is sub-10. (F2L is usually 50% of the time once you reach steady-state I believe). OLL is quite unimportant until much later IMO.
My cross is still embarrassingly bad as I never bothered learning how to do it well, but my F2L I think compensates for it.

Also just a general tip for anyone doing F2L, once you are comfortable with each case and have good muscle memory, try slow down and look ahead (just slow down regardless), because I am not good at look ahead, yet slowing down actually shaved off like 15-20% of my F2L time (counterintuitively).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 02:49:40 pm by schoolstudent115 »
2021: ATAR: 99.95
2022-2024: University of Melbourne, BSci (Major in Mathematics and Statistics)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2021, 03:47:09 pm »
+3
LOVE seeing new posts in this thread. 😍

Heyo!

Thanks

Awesome work! Fantastic stuff.

CFOP - how are you learning? YouTube videos? Maybe we can work together! I'm still mainly using the beginner method because I'm lazy, but I'm learning CFOP on the side (mostly just intuitive F2L), and probably average about 45 seconds using CFOP so far. If we learn together, maybe we can keep motivation easier!

As for cubes, I agree with schoolstudent115 that any decent speedcube should be fine at this stage, but I do definitely thinking different cubes will suit you better than others. I have 15 3x3s at the moment (lol) - a list below if you're interested (in order of acquisition).

Spoiler
- DaYan ZhanChi V5
- MoYu AoLong V2
- MoYu WeiLong V1
- MoYu AoLong V2 - pink version
- Ganspuzzle GAN357 (before GAN was good/flagship)
- DaYan TengYun V1
- MoFang JiaoShi RS3M 2020
- QiYi Warrior S
- MoFang JiaoShi Mini 45mm
- Yuxin Little Magic
- DaYan GuHong V4
- YongJun YuLong V2
- GoCube Edge (smart cube)
- MoFang JiaoShi MeiLong 3M
- GAN 11 M Duo

What cube do you use at the moment? Cube preference depends on a lot of things, including setup (tensioning and lubes etc.), but honestly I just wouldn't worry about any of that in the slightest at the moment. All things considered (particularly price), my main recommendation would probably the the MeiLong 3M ($10AUD) (everybody absolutely raves about the RS3M 2020 ($13.50), which I also find good and is a similar price, but I just seem to vibe with the MeiLong 3M more).

Nice stuff. The cube choice, as long as it is a speed cube shouldn't make too much of a difference. At your stage, it is more about technique and the method you use. The original brand rubiks cube is really bad for speedcubing, and even a cheap speedcube should be just fine. My cube is around $20 (not exactly cheap, but it's quite reasonable considering the alternatives), I haven't cubed for MANY months now, but my last ao12 was about 19 seconds. If I try do it now, I get sub-25 so I'd need to get back into it again to reach the sub-20 level again.

You will find your times will get significantly faster as your F2L improves (this is probably the hardest part). My f2l took more than 30 seconds at first, but over time you know (almost algorithmically) how to do each case by muscle memory. Now my F2L is sub-10. (F2L is usually 50% of the time once you reach steady-state I believe). OLL is quite unimportant until much later IMO.
My cross is still embarrassingly bad as I never bothered learning how to do it well, but my F2L I think compensates for it.

Also just a general tip for anyone doing F2L, once you are comfortable with each case and have good muscle memory, try slow down and look ahead (just slow down regardless), because I am not good at look ahead, yet slowing down actually shaved off like 15-20% of my F2L time (counterintuitively).

Awesome post - thank you. A few questions:

- Out of interest, what's your main at the moment?
- How did you learn F2L? And did you learn the beginner method prior to that? As I've said previously in this thread, I'm having difficulty motivating myself to learn it after 10+ years of the beginner method only lol. I haven't even thought about OLL or PLL.
- Really good advice on look-ahead.

Thanks again for your post - would love to hear more about your experiences.

- MO3: 0.22.71
- AO5: 0.24.20
- AO12: 0.25.65
- AO25: 0.26.79
- AO50: 0.27.83
- AO100: 0.28.10
- AO200: 0.28.53
- AO500: 0.28.74
- AO1000: 0.29.04

And a quick update on this:

- MO3: 0.21.40
- AO5: 0.22.33
- AO12: 0.24.06
- AO25: 0.25.32
- AO50: 0.25.80
- AO100: 0.26.66
- AO200: 0.27.31
- AO500: 0.27.67
- AO1000: 0.28.00

Jinju-san

• Trailblazer
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2021, 06:30:31 pm »
+1
LOVE seeing new posts in this thread. 😍

Awesome work! Fantastic stuff.

CFOP - how are you learning? YouTube videos? Maybe we can work together! I'm still mainly using the beginner method because I'm lazy, but I'm learning CFOP on the side (mostly just intuitive F2L), and probably average about 45 seconds using CFOP so far. If we learn together, maybe we can keep motivation easier!

As for cubes, I agree with schoolstudent115 that any decent speedcube should be fine at this stage, but I do definitely thinking different cubes will suit you better than others. I have 15 3x3s at the moment (lol) - a list below if you're interested (in order of acquisition).

Spoiler
- DaYan ZhanChi V5
- MoYu AoLong V2
- MoYu WeiLong V1
- MoYu AoLong V2 - pink version
- Ganspuzzle GAN357 (before GAN was good/flagship)
- DaYan TengYun V1
- MoFang JiaoShi RS3M 2020
- QiYi Warrior S
- MoFang JiaoShi Mini 45mm
- Yuxin Little Magic
- DaYan GuHong V4
- YongJun YuLong V2
- GoCube Edge (smart cube)
- MoFang JiaoShi MeiLong 3M
- GAN 11 M Duo

What cube do you use at the moment? Cube preference depends on a lot of things, including setup (tensioning and lubes etc.), but honestly I just wouldn't worry about any of that in the slightest at the moment. All things considered (particularly price), my main recommendation would probably the the MeiLong 3M ($10AUD) (everybody absolutely raves about the RS3M 2020 ($13.50), which I also find good and is a similar price, but I just seem to vibe with the MeiLong 3M more).

Hey!
Omg I’d love to learn CFOP with someone else! I definitely feel you on the motivation. I opened a YouTube video on it a week ago and literally gave up because I couldn’t understand anything they were saying.  ;D
I’ve been using this video on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgzVpWb5XdU&ab_channel=TheEpicCuber
I’m also still in the process of learning finger tricks, and I’m highly inefficient in the way I use the cube (eg: I turn it a lot, and I can’t move the bottom face very fluently with my fingers).
I have actually just been using a standard cube from the ‘Rubik’s company that my Dad gave me hahaha  ;D . I never realised there was a whole science behind the cube til just recently, but I ordered a GAN 356 Air SM cube just yesterday. A friend of mine was also using it and recommended it to me.

Thank you for these recommendations though! I will definitely invest in them in the future when I’ve adjusted my hands to an actual speed cube!  :)

I had no idea there was a beginner method. How have you been learning this?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2021, 10:40:48 am »
+2
Hey!
Omg I’d love to learn CFOP with someone else! I definitely feel you on the motivation. I opened a YouTube video on it a week ago and literally gave up because I couldn’t understand anything they were saying.  ;D
I’ve been using this video on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgzVpWb5XdU&ab_channel=TheEpicCuber
I’m also still in the process of learning finger tricks, and I’m highly inefficient in the way I use the cube (eg: I turn it a lot, and I can’t move the bottom face very fluently with my fingers).
I have actually just been using a standard cube from the ‘Rubik’s company that my Dad gave me hahaha  ;D . I never realised there was a whole science behind the cube til just recently, but I ordered a GAN 356 Air SM cube just yesterday. A friend of mine was also using it and recommended it to me.

Thank you for these recommendations though! I will definitely invest in them in the future when I’ve adjusted my hands to an actual speed cube!  :)

I had no idea there was a beginner method. How have you been learning this?

Right on. I've actually never used a 356 Air SM, but that's a great cube, from all reports. Would love to hear how you find it - it'll be chalk and cheese with the original cube you've been using (and will be much easier to turn with finger tricks, too).

I originally learnt the beginner method (which is IMO conceptually easier and less dependent on intuition) from a friend in Year 10, and then followed that up with YouTube videos. One of the better YouCubers (and probably the most well known, I think?) is JPerm.

* Beginner method tutorial
* F2L tutorial

But I recommend learning CFOP as early as possible to avoid the situation I'm currently in (where I need to sort of unlearn the beginner method)!

schoolstudent115

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2021, 01:41:19 pm »
+3
Awesome post - thank you. A few questions:

- Out of interest, what's your main at the moment?
- How did you learn F2L? And did you learn the beginner method prior to that? As I've said previously in this thread, I'm having difficulty motivating myself to learn it after 10+ years of the beginner method only lol. I haven't even thought about OLL or PLL.
- Really good advice on look-ahead.

Thanks again for your post - would love to hear more about your experiences.
My main is a Weilong GTS 2M which I think I got at a really good discount. It is generally quite smooth, a possible weakness might be that the corner cutting is probably sub-par compared to other cubes.

I did in fact learn the beginners method before CFOP (I think I may have gotten it down to 50 seconds or so before moving on). In terms of CFOP, I really just focused on F2L. I initially learned intuitive f2l, I believe the video was from Z3Cubing. My f2l was really slow as I mentioned previously, but I found that after a few days of using intuitive f2l, I got very comfortable with it. Then, I learned some basic f2l algorithms (some of the easy common cases). THEN, I learned 2-look OLL and PLL (together this is 4Look last layer) (I had an obsession with learning algorithms lol). Now, some may argue I would have been better off spending that time improving my f2l, but I think 4-look LL is not that hard to learn, and did shave off a lot of time.

In terms of progressing from there, my recommendations are practice f2l, learn some more basic f2l algorithms (no need to learn all of them). Then if you want, learn full PLL, but I would advise against learning full OLL (the time saves are minimal and there are like 57 algs for this). Also, start learning to do the cross with it being faced down (if you're not doing that already), I regret not doing this earlier as it can save time on the cross AND you can actually significantly reduce the transition time from cross to f2l. From personal experience, the start of learning cfop to now, the times were like 50 secs --> 1 minute (f2l learning curve) --> 50 secs (with just a little practice) --> 40 seconds (once I got comfortable with f2l) --> 30 seconds (got fluent with f2l and learned 4LLL) --> 25 seconds (this took a while to get to) --> 20 seconds (I was stuck at ~23 seconds then I slowed down and within the same day it went down to like 21).
2021: ATAR: 99.95
2022-2024: University of Melbourne, BSci (Major in Mathematics and Statistics)

Jinju-san

• Trailblazer
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2021, 01:46:45 pm »
+1
Right on. I've actually never used a 356 Air SM, but that's a great cube, from all reports. Would love to hear how you find it - it'll be chalk and cheese with the original cube you've been using (and will be much easier to turn with finger tricks, too).

I originally learnt the beginner method (which is IMO conceptually easier and less dependent on intuition) from a friend in Year 10, and then followed that up with YouTube videos. One of the better YouCubers (and probably the most well known, I think?) is JPerm.

* Beginner method tutorial
* F2L tutorial

But I recommend learning CFOP as early as possible to avoid the situation I'm currently in (where I need to sort of unlearn the beginner method)!

Thanks for these links! I have seen these before, but I’ve only just started to get the hang of this method. I’ve made a small list of some things that I need to start doing to shave more time off my solves (and so that you guys can hold me accountable for these!):
1. Solve the white cross facing down immediately, as I think schoolstudent115 mentioned (I previously used to do the noob thing of forming a daisy on the top yellow face, then rotating each paired white edge down to the bottom white face  :P).
2. Practising F2L a LOT more (also mentioned - I only just learnt how to do this, and sometimes I take a bit of time to plan out my moves and identify my F2L pairs.
3. Practise on the speed cube!!

I forgot to mention, I received the speed cube I ordered today!! (GAN 356 Air SM), and I have to say, the difference between it and the standard Rubik’s cube is like chalk and cheese! It moves SUPER smoothly (almost effortlessly), and I get the feeling that finger tricks will be a LOT easier to perform on this cube!!! But yeah, I’m pretty chuffed with it, and I can’t wait to start practising on it!  ;D

There was one thing I had a question about though… I watched a few YouTube videos on speed cubing that mentioned permutations? (like R perm and T perm). I’m guessing based off the name that these are used in PLL, but I’m wondering whether they are worth looking at and memorising, or if I should just worry about them at a later stage when I’ve gotten F2L and OLL down first.

Thanks guys!!!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2021, 07:52:30 am »
+1
Can't wait to hear how you're finding the GAN after first impressions! :D

Re: perms, I'd focus on the other things you've mentioned first - so cross, F2L etc. I'm at the same stage - I haven't learnt any perm algorithms yet.

Jinju-san

• Trailblazer
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2021, 09:59:36 am »
Can't wait to hear how you're finding the GAN after first impressions! :D

Re: perms, I'd focus on the other things you've mentioned first - so cross, F2L etc. I'm at the same stage - I haven't learnt any perm algorithms yet.

Alrighty, sounds good.

I’ve been practising my F2Ls and the cross for the past few weeks, and I’ve been able to bring down my Personal Best to 42.73 seconds. I think using the new cube has improved the overall smoothness of my solves significantly. Corner-cutting is a breeze compared to before, and I’ve found that I’m not having to deal with my previous cube’s stiffness as much, which is really nice (although the smoothness of it was a little hard to get used to at first).

I was wondering if you guys had any tips on improving consistency? Because for me, I often find that my times fluctuate a LOT (one might be 48 seconds, and the next will go all the way to 1:15 seconds!). I think part of the reason for that is that I haven’t quite mastered the last phase of the beginner’s method.

Thanks!  :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2021, 04:03:59 pm »
+1
- MO3: 0.21.40
- AO5: 0.22.33
- AO12: 0.24.06
- AO25: 0.25.32
- AO50: 0.25.80
- AO100: 0.26.66
- AO200: 0.27.31
- AO500: 0.27.67
- AO1000: 0.28.00

A few months on:

- Single: 0.13.50
- MO3: 0.18.91
- AO5: 0.19.73
- AO12: 0.22.16
- AO25: 0.23.18
- AO50: 0.24.55
- AO100: 0.24.72
- AO200: 0.25.24
- AO500: 0.25.69
- AO1000: 0.25.99