Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:03:06 am

Author Topic: if you are interested in Optometry  (Read 6095 times)  Share 

XiaoleiNap

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +4
if you are interested in Optometry
« on: September 29, 2020, 11:43:03 pm »
+10
hi friends, I'm currently a year 3 Optometrist student from the University of Melbourne, if you are interested/curious about the course I'm happy to answer questions! (but cannot guarantee that I know all the answers.. but I will try!!
I uploaded a short video of a day in an optometrist student under stage 4 lockdown :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_0WY1O-sCc
it may give you a SUPER general idea of what optometrist stduent do in preclinic study ;D
(( ps: Why do I post this? I wish back in the days when I was twisting between courses I could have had someone in the course to ask haha))

I'm new to the forum so if it's inappropriate to post the link here please let me know and I will delete it!

some general facts (info from uni's official website: https://study.unimelb.edu.au/find/courses/graduate/doctor-of-optometry/entry-requirements/)
- it's a 4 year post graduate course (I know it's surprisingly very long)
- what you need for prerequisite: an undergraduate degree in any discipline + a result from GAMSAT + 3 subjects of year 2 or year 3 biological science/related subjects (yeah all together 7 years)
- undergraduate degree from ANY university, the application process does not 'prefer' any uni
- I have to confess that I don't know how much marks for gamsat required for this course, there was no clear comments by our coordinators, but I think if you are applying for med etc through GEMSES, please give optom a shot if you want to keep options open!
- the course is called Doctor of Optometry, but we don't really use this title when we graduate

some random facts/personal opinion
- I am not academically strong so I spent 95% of my spare time studying (yeah I'm very nerdy I admit :'(
- I worked as a dispense as casual in an optical store at weekends and many of my peer have dispensor as a casual too (sadly i am stood down due to COVID), it gave us a feel about what's it like working as an optometrist
- super friendly vibe between cohorts, 1. there is a program called: "big brother big sister" it's a mentoring program that you have pair up mentors from the year above. 2. Student society runs free tutorials/revision sessions for each year level throughout semester.
- you can basically reach out to anyone from any year level to ask questions/tips/advice, always got very useful answers ;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 02:09:25 pm by XiaoleiNap »

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +110
Re: if you are interested in Optometry
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 12:06:16 am »
+1
Hey
Does the Doctor of Optometry allow Monash biomed students into the course provided they do the GAMSA?
2019 - Geography [41]
2020 - English, Methods, Chem, Bio and Psych [39]
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Science at Monash

ThunderDragon's Journey to Med

Currently offering tutoring in 3/4 Psychology for 2022. PM if interested!

XiaoleiNap

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 12:11:39 am »
+5
Hey
Does the Doctor of Optometry allow Monash biomed students into the course provided they do the GAMSA?
Hey hey!
YES!! half of my cohort are from Monash bachelor of biomed! there was no restriction on which uni you come from and the application process does not 'prefer' particular uni.
I remember back in first year of the course, it was very fun to talk about the differences/similarities between the uni/biomeds

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 12:47:35 am »
Hey hey!
YES!! half of my cohort are from Monash bachelor of biomed! there was no restriction on which uni you come from and the application process does not 'prefer' particular uni.
I remember back in first year of the course, it was very fun to talk about the differences/similarities between the uni/biomeds
Oh damn that sounds terrific!
2019 - Geography [41]
2020 - English, Methods, Chem, Bio and Psych [39]
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Science at Monash

ThunderDragon's Journey to Med

Currently offering tutoring in 3/4 Psychology for 2022. PM if interested!

XiaoleiNap

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 01:59:53 pm »
+2
I have added some dot points that I can think off the top of my head and I will keep adding more, please leave a message if you have a specific question:)

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 04:19:32 pm »
Thank you so much this was so helpful!!!!
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 05:49:37 pm »
+2
Hey XiaoleiNap! Thanks so much for posting this thread; it’s going to be really helpful for a lot of optometry hopefuls. I might just move this to a slightly more appropriate board (Health Sciences) tomorrow evening, as it will be better directed at an audience interested in your course. (You didn’t post in the wrong board; I just thought it’d fit a bit better elsewhere.) Hope you don’t mind! :)

I uploaded a short video of a day in an optometrist student under stage 4 lockdown :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_0WY1O-sCc
it may give you a SUPER general idea of what optometrist stduent do in preclinic study ;D
(( ps: Why do I post this? I wish back in the days when I was twisting between courses I could have had someone in the course to ask haha))

I'm new to the forum so if it's inappropriate to post the link here please let me know and I will delete it!
As long as you have the permission of the other person wearing the white top shown in the video, it should be all good, as far as I’m aware. Rules for the forum are here and I don’t think it’s inappropriate at all.

Edit (01/10/2020): Move to Health Science board done.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 06:05:07 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

XiaoleiNap

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 08:02:13 pm »
+1
Hey XiaoleiNap! Thanks so much for posting this thread; it’s going to be really helpful for a lot of optometry hopefuls. I might just move this to a slightly more appropriate board (Health Sciences) tomorrow evening, as it will be better directed at an audience interested in your course. (You didn’t post in the wrong board; I just thought it’d fit a bit better elsewhere.) Hope you don’t mind! :)
 As long as you have the permission of the other person wearing the white top shown in the video, it should be all good, as far as I’m aware. Rules for the forum are here and I don’t think it’s inappropriate at all.

Thank you so much!! It'd be great if this can be moved to the best forum it belongs to haha, much appreciated!
Yes I have asked for my friend's permission so it should be fine :)