Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:27:33 pm

Author Topic: More Suggestions  (Read 4138 times)  Share 

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
More Suggestions
« on: May 23, 2020, 11:34:48 pm »
+2
Hey,

Just another suggestion from me... I was wondering if it could be possible to have some sort of privacy setting over our profiles, give users the option of making it visible to others or not.

I was also wondering if the Notes from Lectures could be sent to people attending the lecture the night before the lecture as I've found that I benefit from the lecture a lot more that way. In previous AN lectures, where I haven't had the slides when attending lectures I felt I didn't absorb as much info since I was scrambling to get info down. Whereas in the online lectures where we could download the PDF, I could annotate the Notes on the PDF (on Microsoft Edge) as I watched the lecture and write down what the lecturer was saying etc and take the lecture in a LOT more as well.

Also, I reckon making lectures online and viewable after the lecture is a pretty cool option for people who have to travel a fair distance to RMIT to be able to attend the lecture.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:36:27 pm by Snow Leopard »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: More Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 09:22:07 am »
+3
Hey,

Just another suggestion from me... I was wondering if it could be possible to have some sort of privacy setting over our profiles, give users the option of making it visible to others or not.

I was also wondering if the Notes from Lectures could be sent to people attending the lecture the night before the lecture as I've found that I benefit from the lecture a lot more that way. In previous AN lectures, where I haven't had the slides when attending lectures I felt I didn't absorb as much info since I was scrambling to get info down. Whereas in the online lectures where we could download the PDF, I could annotate the Notes on the PDF (on Microsoft Edge) as I watched the lecture and write down what the lecturer was saying etc and take the lecture in a LOT more as well.

Also, I reckon making lectures online and viewable after the lecture is a pretty cool option for people who have to travel a fair distance to RMIT to be able to attend the lecture.

Thanks,

Hey Snow Leopard,

Thanks for the post - some great ideas here!

I was wondering if it could be possible to have some sort of privacy setting over our profiles, give users the option of making it visible to others or not.
Good question. To my knowledge this isn't a possibility with the current forum software we're running, but I may be wrong. I'll have a look through the settings directly after making this post and will report back if I find anything useful.

EDIT: I'm just nosing around now, and can't find any settings super relevant at this stage. :(

This is great feedback, thank you. It's largely a matter of logistics with getting the slides out; there are sometimes changes just before the lectures, and getting them all uploaded in time is potentially problematic. I think the online lectures went really well - partly due to the functionality you've mentioned - so that's definitely a consideration for future lecture series.

No doubt! IMO the lecture recordings (like these for Victoria) are super useful. For lectures that aren't already online, though, it means a lot of extra cost, which is difficult for free lectures. We've looked into it quite a lot, though, and we're not 100% sure what our lecture series will look like post-COVID-19, so it's a possibility still. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.