Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:53:36 pm

Author Topic: Agriculture or Animal and Vet Biosciences?  (Read 4610 times)  Share 

blacan0

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Agriculture or Animal and Vet Biosciences?
« on: September 01, 2019, 04:30:50 pm »
I'm considering doing a Bachelor of Agriculture and Technology, or Animal and Veterinary Biosciences at La Trobe next year, as I am currently doing year 12. I haven't done maths or science in year 12, so I'm a bit worried I might struggle with the maths and science components.

I also don't know which course to choose and I'm stuck between the two. I like the idea of animal and vet having a more broad focus, but I'm not sure if the science components would be too hard. I also would love to study agriculture, but I also love animald and would love to work with animals, so my heart is torn! I'm aware I would have to study quite hard, as I have not done any science or maths in year 12.

Has anyone had any experience with these degrees? I'd love to know if people enjoyed them, and what the ratio of theory to practical is like? Are there many opportunities to do practicals?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 04:36:32 pm by blacan0 »

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: Agriculture or Animal and Vet Biosciences?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 05:24:59 pm »
+1
It'll depend largely on what career you want to go into in the future. If you want to work in the veterinary field in the future (especially around small animals), animal & vet bioscience would be the more appropriate course. I don't know too much about Agriculure and Technology at La Trobe.

I don't think it'll be a huge detriment if you haven't done maths/science, after all it's not a prerequisite, so I assume you'll learn all the maths/science content you need through the course as they won't expect you to have prior knowledge of it.

Btw La Trobe also offers the bachelor of Veterinary Nursing which might be less science-focused if you want to study and work with animals?

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU