Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:48:59 am

Author Topic: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!  (Read 750336 times)  Share 

valjaybj

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #2670 on: October 17, 2021, 09:36:56 pm »
I've had a similar question about petrol prices
The question went like this, "is petrol prices discrete or continuous?"

I knew that petrol prices were rounded to 2 d.p because the previous bit of that question said so.  The petrol price is rounded to a terminating decimal and therefore discrete is the correct.

Continuous also doesn't exclusively mean can be measured. It just means that the value of something can change continuously as the word suggests and that the decimal doesn't terminate.

Yes, hence my confusion. My question in the first place was about distance that was recorded to ONE decimal place e.g. 4.9km, 0.8km, 3.5km etc. (i.e. the distances weren't recorded with "infinite precision" [which is said to be continuous] nor to the nearest km [which would be discrete]). But, from what I've read in this thread, this would make it a DISCRETE variable, regardless of whether the distance was rounded to the nearest tenth of a kilometre OR if it was EXACTLY 4.9km, 0.8km and so forth (whether it was exact or rounded was not specified in the premise). However, in the solutions this was classified as a CONTINUOUS variable instead ... is there something fundamental that I'm missing or??? Are the answers wrong lmao

Commercekid2050

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2671 on: October 17, 2021, 10:12:53 pm »
Yes, hence my confusion. My question in the first place was about distance that was recorded to ONE decimal place e.g. 4.9km, 0.8km, 3.5km etc. (i.e. the distances weren't recorded with "infinite precision" [which is said to be continuous] nor to the nearest km [which would be discrete]). But, from what I've read in this thread, this would make it a DISCRETE variable, regardless of whether the distance was rounded to the nearest tenth of a kilometre OR if it was EXACTLY 4.9km, 0.8km and so forth (whether it was exact or rounded was not specified in the premise). However, in the solutions this was classified as a CONTINUOUS variable instead ... is there something fundamental that I'm missing or??? Are the answers wrong lmao

It would be continuous. Because the distance is something which can be measured whereas discrete is something which you count. Doing the whole decimal thing is just to make it easier. In this case it is for sure not discrete as you are able to measure the distance. You cant count the distance hence it would be continuous.
2021 VCE- English, Math Method, Further Math,Accounting and Economics

2022-2026 Bachelors in Business (Taxation) and Accounting in Monash

tannicholas

• Adventurer
« Reply #2672 on: October 17, 2021, 10:50:49 pm »

Could you please send or give the details of the question? Usually there's subtle differences in question wording which change a lot about what they're looking for.

valjaybj

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2673 on: October 17, 2021, 11:02:58 pm »
Could you please send or give the details of the question? Usually there's subtle differences in question wording which change a lot about what they're looking for.

Yeah sure - also thank you to everyone for the help, I really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Commercekid2050

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2674 on: October 17, 2021, 11:20:14 pm »
+1
The answer would be B 1. This is as Number of Children is the only one which can be counted, Thus it would be the only discrete numerical variable.

tannicholas

• Adventurer
« Reply #2675 on: October 18, 2021, 09:28:53 am »
+2
Yeah sure - also thank you to everyone for the help, I really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
In this question, it didn't specifically say that distance is rounded to 1 dp so it's assumed that this variable is continuous. Please correct me if I'm wrong this is just my reasoning based on my teacher feedback.

valjaybj

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2676 on: October 18, 2021, 08:06:15 pm »
In this question, it didn't specifically say that distance is rounded to 1 dp so it's assumed that this variable is continuous. Please correct me if I'm wrong this is just my reasoning based on my teacher feedback.

Okay yep that sounds right, thank you!

tannicholas

• Adventurer
« Reply #2677 on: October 19, 2021, 05:33:17 pm »
is it just me or are the exams for further maths getting harder since 2019?

Commercekid2050

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2678 on: October 19, 2021, 06:25:53 pm »
is it just me or are the exams for further maths getting harder since 2019?

You mean actual exam or trial exam?

As I have not done 2020 exam yet but could see it being bit tough.

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #2679 on: October 21, 2021, 09:38:19 pm »
If someone could help with this question
Hypertension is commonly defined as a systolic blood pressure above 140mmHg. If a physician is given a report stating that a sample of 4women has an average systolic blood pressure below 140mmHg, can the physician conclude that none of the women has hypertension? Justify your answer

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #2680 on: October 21, 2021, 10:47:29 pm »
+2
What do you think? Why do you think this?

If you think yes, prove however you choose that no matter what, no women have hypertension. Alternatively, if you think no, give a particular counterexample that proves that at least one of the women has hypertension.
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2681 on: October 22, 2021, 06:12:04 pm »
C) write down the null and alternate hypothesis for this test
H0 :p1 =0.52, q1 =0.48 HA : p1≠ 0.52 or Q1≠0.48

i don't understand why this is the null and alternate hypothesis can someone explain

tannicholas

• Adventurer
« Reply #2682 on: October 23, 2021, 05:04:10 pm »
+1
If someone could help with this question
Hypertension is commonly defined as a systolic blood pressure above 140mmHg. If a physician is given a report stating that a sample of 4women has an average systolic blood pressure below 140mmHg, can the physician conclude that none of the women has hypertension? Justify your answer
No because a sample doesn't represent an entire population of women so your conclusion would be inaccurate. Also, is this actually a further maths question?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 05:09:06 pm by tannicholas »

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2683 on: October 23, 2021, 07:19:17 pm »
Thanks
No it’s not a further maths question

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #2684 on: October 23, 2021, 07:45:38 pm »
+4
No because a sample doesn't represent an entire population of women so your conclusion would be inaccurate. Also, is this actually a further maths question?

This doesn't answer the question. The question implies that we should be checking if the doctor can conclude that none of the women they've tested has hypertension, not some purported entire population. There is no mention of a population. Good attempt though

I purposefully left my response open-ended because we'd like to see more working out appended to any question.

Since an answer has now been posted up, I may as well: the answer is no, you cannot conclude that none of the women has hypertension. A simple counterexample can be found by letting the blood pressure of three of the women be 139mmHg and the other be 141mmHg. The average is clearly below 140mmHg, yet one is above 140mmHg (implying that said woman has hypertension).

Hope this helps
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions