Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:21:58 pm

Author Topic: a reflection to the community  (Read 912 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
a reflection to the community
« on: January 10, 2019, 11:11:12 pm »
+27
It doesn’t feel like I’ve been a part of this community for less than 2 years, or modding for just over 12 months. Looking back at my first post I probably made it because I felt qualified – it was a while before I earnt my first respect and seeing “giants” around the forum, it can be easy to think that they’re in a better position to contribute. Overtime, I’ve realised that if responses only came from the most “qualified” person for a particular topic the community wouldn’t be as rich.

That’s what I want to dedicate my 2000th post to – a rich community of sharing.

--

One day in year 12 I walked home from a physics SAC, where my teacher had said my score wasn’t good enough and I had agreed. I felt miserable and lost all hope in my physics ability as I sat on the floor at home and cried. That day I got my first PM on atarnotes. This was not a message designed to help me or be consoling – after all, I hadn’t posted about my day – rather, it was a request for information. That didn’t stop it from being the most uplifting thing I had seen in a long time or from prompting me to remember that I’d had a bio SAC I was disappointed in (yet I still did well and defied expectations). To this day, the post-count of the user who helped me then is in the single digits and their respect count is zero.

But they helped me so much.

We all start with just 1 post, zero respect and no titles. That doesn’t stop us from supporting each other or contributing our perspectives. It can seem daunting, but - for me - the rewards have been far greater than first anticipated.

Thank you to everyone who has found it within themselves to step forward and lend their perspective – you never know the ripples it may bring to you and others.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: a reflection to the community
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 09:11:23 am »
+7
This is great, miniturtle.

I think a lot of users here would have a similar experience (certainly the case for me): start lurking a bit, slowly get more involved, and all of a sudden, AN is a huge part of your life.

Love your work!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.