Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:59:23 pm

Author Topic: 2019 Paper  (Read 4929 times)  Share 

rorygolledge

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
2019 Paper
« on: October 25, 2019, 11:19:31 am »
So what did everyone think of the paper? I personally thought it was harder than in previous years, especially the last algorithm question where we had to transfer data from one 2-dimensional array to another with a different width and format. Also, did anyone else not study Systems Flowcharts because it hasn't been asked since 2005? May be kicking myself.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: 2019 Paper
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 12:55:49 pm »
So what did everyone think of the paper? I personally thought it was harder than in previous years, especially the last algorithm question where we had to transfer data from one 2-dimensional array to another with a different width and format. Also, did anyone else not study Systems Flowcharts because it hasn't been asked since 2005? May be kicking myself.
That also surprised me that they asked about system flowcharts. I mean they could've assessed something much better and relevant.

rorygolledge

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 07:30:27 pm »
That also surprised me that they asked about system flowcharts. I mean they could've assessed something much better and relevant.

Yeah. Ah well, hoping for a pity mark for putting a few symbols and words on the page, at least it was only out of 3.

gubby1707

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 12:27:38 pm »
Yeah it was quite a tough paper especially the algorithm questions towards the end. The one where you needed to swap the letters and rearrange their position i was stuck as to move the swapped string to the front and not the back by modifying the append module somehow.

rorygolledge

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 01:17:59 pm »
Yeah it was quite a tough paper especially the algorithm questions towards the end. The one where you needed to swap the letters and rearrange their position i was stuck as to move the swapped string to the front and not the back by modifying the append module somehow.

From the best of my memory I did:

BEGIN Encrypt
       get originalString
       stringLength = Length(originalString)
       encryptedString = Middle(originalString,10)
       encryptedString = Flip(encryptedString)
       leftChars = Left(originalString,stringLength/2-5)
       leftChars = Flip(leftChars)
       encryptedString = Append(leftChars,encryptedString)
       rightChars = Right(originalString,stringLength/2+5)
       rightChars = Flip(rightChars)
       encryptedString = Append(encryptedString,rightChars)
END Encrypt

The example encryption in the exam: "computersaregreat!" encrypts to "pmocrgerasretu!tae"

(I have an odd memory with some things)

This question was weirdly set out in a way that there were no conditional statements or loops needed, wasn't my favourite.