Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:15:30 am

Author Topic: Music Question Thread  (Read 83720 times)  Share 

CallumPike16

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Music Question Thread
« Reply #255 on: May 27, 2020, 09:23:41 am »
Hey everyone!
Currently doing Music 1. I chose 3 Viva Voce for my electives alongside my core performance. I was just wondering what kinds of topics I could do? Or is it different for every school/year?

Additionally, does anyone have any tips for a viva voce?

Thanks all!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #256 on: May 27, 2020, 04:43:55 pm »
+2
Hey everyone!
Currently doing Music 1. I chose 3 Viva Voce for my electives alongside my core performance. I was just wondering what kinds of topics I could do? Or is it different for every school/year?

Additionally, does anyone have any tips for a viva voce?

Thanks all!

Hey, CallumPike16!

Welcome to the forums! It makes me so happy to hear you're interested in doing vivas for all your electives  ;D The great thing about musicology is that you can pretty much discuss anything and everything, so long as you do two things. Firstly, you'll need to make sure the topic fits under one of the NESA prescribed topics available for study. You can find that in the downloadable syllabus here. It would be ideal to have three contrasting topics to broaden your engagement in musicology and for the markers see you demonstrate an eagerness to appreciate a variety of musical genres and subjects.

You also need to make sure you discuss the topic with the six concepts of music in mind. These concepts are the basis of Music 1 and musicology in the course so it's really important that your vivas emerge from them (or at least use them for analysis and discussion). If you were to choose, for example, music of a culture, a topic you could look at is how sound and silence are key stylistic considerations in the performance of Japanese shakuhachi music. In this hypothetical topic, I have picked a music of a culture and chosen to explore it through the concepts of timbre and duration. To get inspired, listen to the music you enjoy and see what interpretations or ideas you can bring to the table and formulate topics around. It all starts with a brainstorm!

I would also recommend reading this article which has tips for the Viva Voce from someone who was selected for Encore  :D Hope this helps and looking forward to hearing what you decide to pursue!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

svnflower

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #257 on: June 26, 2020, 05:52:09 pm »
+1
 :) Hello,

How do I distinguish between a theme and a motif?
Also, what do I look out for when the question asks for "treatment of thematic material"?

Thanks in advance!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #258 on: June 26, 2020, 11:06:34 pm »
+7
:) Hello,

How do I distinguish between a theme and a motif?
Also, what do I look out for when the question asks for "treatment of thematic material"?

Thanks in advance!

Hey, svnflower!

Good question :D A motif is a musical phrase that recurs throughout a piece of music. A theme is also a type of motif but it is usually longer in length (not a hard rule but it's usually a clear phrase) and serves a key role in the music (usually developed, repeated, transformed etc.). If you have a listen to the second movement of Haydn's Symphony No.94, it has a themes and variations form. You have the theme first played through and then different versions of it (off the top of my head, there's a minor version, one with a counter melody in the violins and a semiquaver variation in no particular order).

Whenever you have a question on the "treatment of thematic material", you should firstly identify what the theme or themes of the work are. Your next aim is to trace it in the structure of the music and how it appears each time. Ask yourself whether it is a direct repetition or if it has been transformed or developed in some way. Some examples include having it played on a different instrument, having a slower tempo, being varied with staccato and so forth. Your final point in the response should be on how the treatment of the thematic material creates unity, contrast, variety and/or interest in the work (depending on the question you get) for the listener. Hope that helps!  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

svnflower

• Trailblazer
« Reply #259 on: August 01, 2020, 01:05:38 pm »
+1
Hi!!

I often look out for accidentals but still have trouble identifying the tonality and modulations that occur in a piece. Are there any tips and tricks to identifying the key?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #260 on: August 01, 2020, 02:02:10 pm »
+2
Hi!!

I often look out for accidentals but still have trouble identifying the tonality and modulations that occur in a piece. Are there any tips and tricks to identifying the key?

Hey, svnflower!

Knowing your key signatures (and whether it changes at any point in the music) is really crucial in figuring out what the key is. If you can identify what the two possible keys are, you can narrow it down and figure out which one it is based on the aural excerpt you have been provided (does it sound "happy or sad"?) OR to look at the starting or ending note (musical works typically start or end with the tonic so if you see a key signature with 4 sharps and C# minor is the beginning, ending or feels like the "home" note, it's more than likely in C# minor). This diagram that I found in Britannica can help you memorise the different key signatures! You can practise this by sight-reading scores and trying to identify what key it is in. You can also tell when there's been a modulation if the score itself has marked that there is a new key signature or if there have been consistent accidentals that suggest a different key. For example, you might be in F major but you start to see E flats being used and more leading note-tonic action so perhaps your new key area might be B flat major instead  :)

There are also always exceptions. The composer might try to destabilise any sense of tonality and go from atonality instead. In this situation, you would need to mention in your response that although there is a certain key signature provided, the use of other accidentals that are used in the music might be there to play around with the perception of a clear tonality. If none of this makes sense, feel free to ask follow up questions because it's all super complex but hopefully that helps in some way!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

svnflower

• Trailblazer
« Reply #261 on: August 01, 2020, 04:51:58 pm »
110% makes sense, I'll examine more scores using your advicee. Thankyou so much!!

I've got a few more questions--

With a question like "How have the concepts of music been manipulated", is this simply asking for a discussion and analysis of the music concepts in our chosen piece?

Also, what do the plus signs, circles above the notes and the i's and j's below the notes indicate? (in the attachment)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #262 on: August 01, 2020, 08:52:16 pm »
+5
110% makes sense, I'll examine more scores using your advicee. Thankyou so much!!

I've got a few more questions--

With a question like "How have the concepts of music been manipulated", is this simply asking for a discussion and analysis of the music concepts in our chosen piece?

Also, what do the plus signs, circles above the notes and the i's and j's below the notes indicate? (in the attachment)

Hey again!

That's exactly what you need to do for a question asking more generally about the concepts of music. To structure your response, you might want to look at two concepts per body paragraph and how they work together in the piece. For example, you might pair up texture with pitch since you can talk about the layers of music and how range/register shapes the motion of parts involved in it. As another example, you could combine dynamic and expressive techniques with tone colour in a discussion since they usually affect one another. This can help you have some more structure and integrate the concepts, rather than just listing how each concept operates in the piece in a long list of a response.

As for those symbols, I believe the plus signs and circles are marked for when horned instruments use the plunger. The plus signs are for when the player presses the plunger and circles indicate for the player to lift it. Any symbols like these mean different things depending on the instrument and when the composition was made. For example, the circle sign usually means in contemporary music for strings to play natural harmonics and in Baroque music, the plus sign often suggests a trill. If you are ever unsure, you can refer to them in your responses as "extended techniques" and/or describe the sound quality to the best of your ability  :) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 12:38:25 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

svnflower

• Trailblazer
« Reply #263 on: August 05, 2020, 08:16:14 pm »
+2
Thanks heaps Angelina!  :)  :)

Fluffysama_

• MOTM: June 20
  • Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #264 on: August 08, 2020, 08:15:51 pm »
+1
hello! I have an aural exam coming up and have been finding sample answers to be pretty insightful, however I can only find

https://arc.nesa.nsw.edu.au/standards-packs/SP01_15290/

this site which has sample answers for past papers and only the 2001-2002 ones but they have like 3 example responses for each question which is quite good, has anyone found more sample answers somewhere else? Also, been reading the marking notes from nesa for aural here

https://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au/wps/wcm/connect/3a8e6873-10b1-45d3-b97a-74d72a7c784e/music-1-hsc-notes-2002.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=ROOTWORKSPACE-3a8e6873-10b1-45d3-b97a-74d72a7c784e-nbDp1l7

it gives a brief breakdown on what the key points of the exerpt is which is still very good :)

Also, I'm not sure how to approach questions about structure, like laying out the exerpt's structure and then I label it and also state what I think it is in, binary etc and then I sort of just compare and contrast like section A with B whats different and similar ? not sure if this is the way to hit the mark ?
a question i did was "describe the structure of the excerpt ahahha
thanks!
ps: would appreciate any tips! I've read Jamon's article was really spicyyy n very helpful :)
Class of 2020: Advanced English, Japanese Beginners, Economics, Music 1, Visual Arts

Fluffysama_

• Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
« Reply #265 on: August 08, 2020, 08:19:56 pm »
+1
hello! I have an aural exam coming up and have been finding sample answers to be pretty insightful, however I can only find

https://arc.nesa.nsw.edu.au/standards-packs/SP01_15290/

this site which has sample answers for past papers and only the 2001-2002 ones but they have like 3 example responses for each question which is quite good, has anyone found more sample answers somewhere else? Also, been reading the marking notes from nesa for aural here

https://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au/wps/wcm/connect/3a8e6873-10b1-45d3-b97a-74d72a7c784e/music-1-hsc-notes-2002.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=ROOTWORKSPACE-3a8e6873-10b1-45d3-b97a-74d72a7c784e-nbDp1l7

it gives a brief breakdown on what the key points of the exerpt is which is still very good :)

Also, I'm not sure how to approach questions about structure, like laying out the exerpt's structure and then I label it and also state what I think it is in, binary etc and then I sort of just compare and contrast like section A with B whats different and similar ? not sure if this is the way to hit the mark ?
a question i did was "describe the structure of the excerpt ahahha
thanks!
ps: would appreciate any tips! I've read Jamon's article was really spicyyy n very helpful :)

oh and just say katie's vid excited to watch, oop
Class of 2020: Advanced English, Japanese Beginners, Economics, Music 1, Visual Arts

Fluffysama_

• Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
« Reply #266 on: August 08, 2020, 10:16:52 pm »
Hi!!

Hey! I have the same problem and was hoping someone could also pls kindly help, for aurals not for score analysis though :)

I've hit a hurdle with modulation?? and like modes in general, everyone in class started discussing dorian, frugian/ phrydian ?? modes etc in class before and I fully could not understand a thing, most of them have done music since year 7 and I literally don't know whats going on, I feel like I don't have to know this to do well but like the more you know the better I guess, from what I got, they are just scales with different properties and like they all start on different notes? please lmk if you can help with this :)

For key changes I can only hear key changes when they are super drastic like from major to minor etc (oft it do be spicy with cadences hashdha)  but like not so much when they are in the middle of the piece, is practice the way to go and just more practice will help me distinguish between key changes? I don't tend to pick it up :(

thankyou!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #267 on: August 09, 2020, 08:54:32 pm »
+2
Hey! I have the same problem and was hoping someone could also pls kindly help, for aurals not for score analysis though :)

I've hit a hurdle with modulation?? and like modes in general, everyone in class started discussing dorian, frugian/ phrydian ?? modes etc in class before and I fully could not understand a thing, most of them have done music since year 7 and I literally don't know whats going on, I feel like I don't have to know this to do well but like the more you know the better I guess, from what I got, they are just scales with different properties and like they all start on different notes? please lmk if you can help with this :)

For key changes I can only hear key changes when they are super drastic like from major to minor etc (oft it do be spicy with cadences hashdha)  but like not so much when they are in the middle of the piece, is practice the way to go and just more practice will help me distinguish between key changes? I don't tend to pick it up :(

thankyou!

Hey, Fluffysama_!

Great questions :D Firstly with modes, I personally don't think they're that important for Music 1. You might discuss modes in relation to pitch as a concept if you were comfortable with it and able to identify it aurally but NESA wouldn't ask a specific question on modes in the HSC. If you wanted to learn about this, this video I've embedded below is a great way of conceptualising the modes and illustrating how they operate using repertoire examples  ;D

As for key changes, I really struggle with this myself when it comes to music that does a fairly good job at disguising it. Many classical symphonies modulate from the tonic to the dominant as a typical pattern of tonal movement but I can't tell unless I have a score with me because aurally, I have problems with hearing it. Usually, the key changes that can be picked up most easily are those that move up chromatically and that's signalled with the feeling of the song "lifting." A really good example is Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror because it does this at the end of one of the choruses on the word "change" which is quite clever. Otherwise, it's a matter of listening to different songs and asking yourself whether you can sense a shift in tonality. The more practice, the better you get at it! Sorry I couldn't explain it better but here are some awesome videos that might also help! Let me know if you have any follow up questions though and I'll try my best make it clearer!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #268 on: August 09, 2020, 10:48:11 pm »
+2

thankyou!
Hey,

I also definitely agree you don't need to know modes for Music 1. I didn't know them in year 12 and only really learnt them in 2nd year uni (still wouldn't be able to tell you any details off the top of my head). It's amazing if you can identify a piece is modal but it won't be required at all!! I find modulations and key changes really difficult as well!

If you want to know a little bit more about how to identify modal scales this is a diagram we made in one of my uni theory course (but keep in mind you don't need to memorise or know this at all!):

Identifying modes diagram

Hope this helps!  :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 10:51:37 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

svnflower

• Trailblazer
« Reply #269 on: September 01, 2020, 09:12:10 pm »
Hello :)

For music compositions, is it necessary to have program notes? If so, what things do we need to include? e.g. do we need to state the length of our composition and do we need to include a short summary/story/influences of our composition?