Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 09:57:48 am

Author Topic: How to be a tutor  (Read 3764 times)  Share 

bubble sunglasses

How to be a tutor
« on: October 25, 2007, 05:00:35 pm »
Hey campers :)

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a formula, things to do, to go from being good at a subject to being a gun tutor as well?

Like, I got 46 for French last year but srsly suck at helping those in need

Odette

Re: How to be a tutor
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 05:19:31 pm »
+1
Quote from: "bubble sunglasses"
Hey campers :)

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a formula, things to do, to go from being good at a subject to being a gun tutor as well?

Well perhaps tutoring isnt for you ...

Hmm what might help is if you try helping a few people with simple things, giving them a few exercises to do, helping them pronounce words, write sentences (thats if you're going to tutor people in french), etc. See how they go with that, if you find they understand what you're teaching them, then you can help them with more important things...
Maybe try helping you brothers or sisters first, see how you go. :)

Initially you may want to give them a test to see what level they are at...

Hope this helps :)

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
How to be a tutor
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 05:36:03 pm »
+1
I don't know much about languages, so what I say may not apply.

However, I think having an extremely deep understanding of something allows you to explain it well (given you're ok at english haha). The key is in being able to take some knowledge that is tremendously deep, and complicated and to simplify it into something so inherently obvious, intuitive and natural. This may mean having really insightful analogies. Just think about how we understand and reason in chemistry/physics, we create models. Models are just more complicated analogies, they are the way humans understand.

I think an important skill is being able to calculate something and then reflect on your result and understand intuitively why the answer is correct.

As an example of what I'm trying to express, I shall leave you with a passage regarding a simulation which took place on one of the earliest supercomputers (Had to do with fluid dynamics, I guess).

Source: Here
Eyes tended to glaze over when we started talking about state transition diagrams and finite state machines. Finally Feynman told us to explain it like this,

"We have noticed in nature that the behavior of a fluid depends very little on the nature of the individual particles in that fluid. For example, the flow of sand is very similar to the flow of water or the flow of a pile of ball bearings. We have therefore taken advantage of this fact to invent a type of imaginary particle that is especially simple for us to simulate. This particle is a perfect ball bearing that can move at a single speed in one of six directions. The flow of these particles on a large enough scale is very similar to the flow of natural fluids."
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

bubble sunglasses

How to be a tutor
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 10:50:32 pm »
I'm sure I could, Odette, there'd just be a lot of stuff to do, especially if I was as conscientious as Coblin appears to be for his areas of expertise.

Ahmad, did you think I was a maths/sci nerd, lol. Though I could just about understand the passage. My parents are physicists; Feynmann is the gospel to them.
  Curiously do you know anything about String Theory? -it's what one of my cousins spends her time on.

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
How to be a tutor
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 12:41:31 am »
Feynman means A LOT to me. I don't know much about string theory, except what Feynman has to say about it, and I can sort of see his point.

Basically, he said that he doesn't like String Theory because there isn't enough computation in it. He said it explains known facts, but it doesn't calculate much. So whenever a result comes out that doesn't agree with current String Theory, they "patch it up", by adding some additional part of the theory. This is what he doesn't like. When you compare this to something like QED which calculates very precise phenomenon that happens to agree with the real world to 10 significant figures...

However, he died a while ago, so I'm not sure how much it's developed nowadays. Btw, I am not a science nerd, and didn't think you were either!  :wink:
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
How to be a tutor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 01:25:14 am »
What Feynman had to say on the matter is very valid. String theory is largely patchwork, and whilst it does tie in nicely with what we know (and love) today, we need something more concrete. I'd actually never heard of Quantum Electrodynamics, though, Ahmad. I think that'll make for some interesting reading during the holidays. :P

Odette

How to be a tutor
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 07:54:02 am »
+1
I'm sure I could, Odette, there'd just be a lot of stuff to do, especially if I was as conscientious as Coblin appears to be for his areas of expertise.

Ahmad, did you think I was a maths/sci nerd, lol. Though I could just about understand the passage. My parents are physicists; Feynmann is the gospel to them.
  Curiously do you know anything about String Theory? -it's what one of my cousins spends her time on.

Ok then :) good luck with that, just make sure you run a few tests before you actually start tutoring students (to see what level they're at, what there strengths and weaknesses are) as well as keep testing them throughout the year (to see whether or not your method(s) are actually working) ... Hope that helps a little :)

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
How to be a tutor
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 03:29:41 pm »
Quote from: "enwiabe"
What Feynman had to say on the matter is very valid. String theory is largely patchwork, and whilst it does tie in nicely with what we know (and love) today, we need something more concrete. I'd actually never heard of Quantum Electrodynamics, though, Ahmad. I think that'll make for some interesting reading during the holidays. :P

I have an awesome ebook on QED (by Feynman, of course). Although I haven't read it all, I've read enough to be thoroughly impressed by it. Be sure to ask me for it sometime..

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 03:31:22 pm »

Impressive! I'll be looking forward to you gunning VCE next year..

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 04:55:26 pm »
Quote from: "Ahmad"

Impressive! I'll be looking forward to you gunning VCE next year..

Talitha gunned VCE last year. Haha

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
How to be a tutor
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 05:08:55 pm »
:oops: She's a 2006er? I bet 99.70+?

bubble sunglasses

How to be a tutor
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 05:48:19 pm »
Quote from: "Ahmad"
:oops: She's a 2006er? I bet 99.70+?

You're a charmer Ahmad :)    99.15, boosted by having spent 6 months in France

I know you've spent at least that time in maths-land :wink: , but that's kinda different - I wouldn't have put in that kind of work for French if it hadn't been the only option